Condition #3

Discussion in '1911 Carry' started by MFM22, Sep 26, 2020.

1. MFM22

MFM22 Active Member

Sep 15, 2020
    Anyone carry 1911 in condition 3 / Full magazine , Empty chamber , hammer down

Would need to draw & rack slide

I'm sure most carry cocked & locked. But there are different reasons for other conditions

2. Fiddler1537

Fiddler1537 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Jan 13, 2013
    Tell me one for that condition

B81, tonyboo109, A45GUNNER and 13 others like this.

3. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 22, 2017
    I do occasionally but I still practice for it. Very slightly slower than drawing cocked and locked. Be advised I do not leave the hammer down ever.

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    Nope. And for those that do, how often do you practice drawing and racking the slide with one hand only?

B81, Rick McC., miketx and 7 others like this.
  5. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    As often as I feel the need or just before I know I'll be carry Condition 3. But then I still practice for a lot of things most don't

6. Mainspring

Mainspring Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Nov 1, 2014
    Some Federal employees were required to carry in 3.

Cop_Out likes this.
  7. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    Here's one guy's explanation why he does Israeli carry. Lots of YouTube videos debating Condition 3 (aka, Israeli) carry. (5.5 min video): Most folks say they carry Locked & Loaded because that's the way JMB designed for the pistol to be carried.

Gmanphx, UBOATDOC and OneEyedTanker like this.
  8. Dangerous Brian

Dangerous Brian Pigtails and butter please...

Dec 9, 2013
    ^ "Everyone has their opinion"

Yep, and he's a doofus

tonyboo109, bonjorno2, FWoo45 and 3 others like this.
  9. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    Carrying a weapon for self defense that isn't ready to use is pretty much the same as not carrying a weapon at all. I don't half ass my personal protection efforts.

That said, back when I was in the military we carried with empty chambers and loaded mags. It wasn't by choice and I never agreed with the policy.

10. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Would someone be so kind to list all the carry conditions and a small explanation? Please?

I assume condition #1 is: loaded with round chambered + cocked & locked.

Thank you!

Gmanphx likes this.
  11. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    The Conditions of Readiness

The legendary guru of the combat 1911, Jeff Cooper, came up with the “Condition” system to define the state of readiness of the 1911-pattern pistol. They are:

• Condition 0 – A round is in the chamber, hammer is cocked, and the safety is off.
    • Condition 1 – Also known as “cocked and locked,” means a round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the manual thumb safety on the side of the frame is applied.
    • Condition 2 – A round is in the chamber and the hammer is down.
    • Condition 3 – The chamber is empty and hammer is down with a charged magazine in the gun.
    • Condition 4 – The chamber is empty, hammer is down and no magazine is in the gun.

12. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    Cooper's "conditions" didn't include a Condition 0.

Jennifers, Uncle Bob and Fiddler1537 like this.
  13. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Thank you John, @azguy1911,

In Condition 2, + a full magazine, is this a safe way to carry? Is it safe against drops on a hard surface? Also is there any safety difference in hammer down and hammer at 1/2 cock?

I have several reasons for asking this + I'm schooled in cocking SA old Colts.
    Thank you for your time sir!

doc.holliday likes this.
  14. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    Unless mandated by some condition of employment, there is 0 reasons to carry anything but Condition 1. If you feel the need to carry in any other condition- get a different platform of pistol. Or better yet, hire someone to go with you everywhere who will carry in the proper condition.
    To shoot the 1911 in condition 1 you have to: drop the thumb safety; depress the BTGS; and finally press the trigger.
    If you drop the pistol while in condition 1 and it hits the ground hammer first, you have a half-cock on the hammer for a reason.
    Condition 3 answers a problem that doesn’t exist and negates the entire reason for CCW’ing a 1911.

15. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    So... that was horrible. Just bad.
    I almost stopped when he talked about the safeties that Glocks have. Watched on. Then he started talking about having to worry about shooting someone and since he’s not a cop, he doesn’t have a union that will hide the evidence of a bad shoot. Had to stop at that point. Anything further would be akin to asking Helen Keller if my tie matches my shoelaces

16. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    1911 'drop safety' is the reason used to justify the design difference between a Series 70 and Series 80 platform. A series 80 pistol has more internal parts to theoretically enhance drop safety.

DSTallguy likes this.
  17. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    :popcorn::popcorn:
    Should not be, but this topic always turns into a pi$$ing match.

FWoo45, simonp, WC145 and 4 others like this.
  18. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    A match I shot early on was called "The Junkyard Jumble". You had to crawl through 4 or 5 tractor tires to get to the next shooting position. On the way through I snagged my series 70. Didn't think and just muscled it, not smart because I watched my Colt go sailing past. Remember we all pinned our grip safety in those days so it was strictly the manual safety. Pistol landed, nothing happened (thanks to a very good gunsmith) except I was D/Qed.

If you have a good 1911 especially with quality parts and an exceptional smith that went through it, 1911s tend to be very safe pistols. The only ADs and NDs I know of were operator error.

19. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    He makes some valid points regardless. Thing that concerns me is a lot of people don't practice enough and especially coming out of the holster.

Buck Buck likes this.
  20. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    You're right. Lot of people have monkeyed around with that one. The Colonel only spoke 1-3

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted