Condition #3

Discussion in '1911 Carry' started by MFM22, Sep 26, 2020.

1. GTTom

GTTom Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
  2. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    It's simple common sense, I don't understand why anyone requires reinforcement from others people on the appropriate way to carry a 1911, or any handgun, for self defense.

It comes down to being prepared, either you are or you aren't. Hunters don't go into the field with an empty chamber, cops don't go on patrol with an empty chamber, military doesn't go outside the wire with an empty chamber - they are prepared to use their firearms if necessary. Why on earth would anyone think it should be different for someone carrying for self defense?

3. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
  4. Ingramite

Ingramite On The Lost Highway

Sep 16, 2018
    I'm all convinced up.

Secondly, how someone else decides to carry their pistol is their business, not mine.

Although I am convinced up, I am not the Great Convincer. If someone else is wearing their straw hat to the Christmas party, I'm just glad to see them out of the house.

A career spent persuading others to keep their feet on the path has left me drained of concern and damn short of compassion.

Tactical bullet stops are few and far between out on the killing floor. So when possible you'll find me behind these guys 100 % of the time.

Chief1297, Lamey and Tom Eudy like this.
  5. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    A couple of the greatest lines of comment I've ever read in any forum ever!

I couldn't understand why this topic never touched a chord with me. Then it dawned on me, I basically don't give a damn what others do - that's their business. That's at least half the reason. Probably the other half is, my EDC is a 9mm that doesn't follow the 1911 manual of arms - so I'm lacking the passion to give a damn how anyone carries their EDC 1911!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  6. SW1911302

SW1911302 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Seems very unnecessary and I'm assuming it would need quite a bit of practice to draw/rack efficiently. Can I ask why?

7. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    I'll let everyone have a laugh at me on my dime! The questions I asked weren't for the purpose of carrying on my body. If I did that, it would be condition #1.

But I'm semi disabled with my lower back & legs. I'm very slow to get around & when I wake up, it takes me 3-4 minutes getting out of bed.

So I sleep with a 1911 in bed with me under the covers, a WC EDC 9XL with a pair of 18 round mags, one in the firearm.

My main concern is home invasion which has happened with 2 people that I know. I have an excellent updated alarm system in my home so to get to my bedroom will take time & I will have a warning before hand.

Problem is that the firearm gets move around a lot and even occasionally I roll over on it. For this reason only I feel more comfortable with Condition #2, round chambered, hammer down, full magazine inserted.

Does anyone have a negative about this
    scenario? Thanks

JD

8. bnaples

bnaples Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Bad things happen in this condition. This condition should not exist. I have multiple family members that should not own any gun, much less a 1911. Both of them have shot inanimate objects in their homes trying to use this condition. In this scenario of the gun being in bed with you....i would place the gun in condition 1 and put the gun in a holster. Holster keeps the safety activated and keeps things off the trigger. Jmo

9. henryt

henryt Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2020
    BCD 45 -- you might try a holstered weapon attached to the bed frame... just at arm's reach. I literally have a night stand gun. I also have done the hollowed out book on the old night stand.

UBOATDOC likes this.
  10. AJP

AJP Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2017
    Condition 2 should never be used. It is slower to activate than Condition 3 and puts you at the highest risk for a negligent discharge. The only reason I have for lowering the hammer on a loaded chamber is to fire the bullet. I have an acquaintance who has had 2 ND's because he insists on keeping his 1911 in Condition 2. That should never happen.

A45GUNNER, Kip and WC145 like this.
  11. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    For me there is only one condition for a gin that isn’t being cleaned or marked on - condition 1!

Gun on me, nightstand gun, guns in my safe - all are condition 1. It’s safe & I know no mater which gun I grab from wherever for whatever reason.

What others do is up to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12. DRD

DRD Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 8, 2018
    IMHO,
    As @henryt said, if you use a holster, it needs to be attached to something. It takes two hands to draw a pistol from the holster if unsecured. Based upon the snugness of some of my holsters, I could probably get a 1911 from condition 3 to 1 faster than I could yank it out of an unsecured holster. I would at least consider a striker fired gun if it were in bed with me.

13. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Thank all of you, I appreciate you all. I will re-think this and get a good holster, maybe with a thumb break. Thank ya'll.

JD

14. ferretray

ferretray Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Not only no, but hell no.

15. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    NO ! But I have issues :D

UBOATDOC and FWoo45 like this.
  16. MFM22

MFM22 Active Member

Sep 15, 2020
    I asked because I'm new to concealed carry - decided to carry after seeing our current state of affairs . I'm just concerned about safety obviously and wanted to hear some pros / cons for carry options
    I'm aware that most will have a round in chamber -1911's cocked & locked. Striker fired pistols like Glock have trigger safety period. It did seem that 1911's with a grip safety have an added measure
    Don't want to create any arguments as to which is best just wanted some level headed reasoning
    I'd say that what ever condition you carry you had better train well for using the weapon (any weapon )
    Makes sense to have gun ready to use as fast as safely possible . I think most conflicts would be close quarters and the support hand may be compromised - this is a most compelling reason to carry C&L

As mentioned it is up to the individual to decide their reasoning & comfort level
    I do believe carrying in any condition is better than not carrying at all

17. djc

djc Active Member

Jul 1, 2013

18. SLAM37

SLAM37 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2016
    Welcome to the forum MFM22. Lots of good people here with knowledge to share.

In general, if somebody told me they did not carry a pistol for self defense with a round chambered because of "safety", I would reply with the following:

1) Get a better pistol. Or, what is more likely the case, get educated about the capabilities of your pistol, as there is likely little to worry about with a quality, modern-manufactured firearm.

2) If the "safety" concern is due to shooter capability (or lack thereof) -- get trained. If they are not willing to do that, they should not be carrying anyhow.

Just my $.02.

19. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 22, 2017
    Might want to rethink this. Fishing around for the holster, than dealing with a thumb break would be slower than racking the slide.

But your choice.

Rick McC. and Macaw1us like this.
  20. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 22, 2017
    Add practicing, including coming out of a holster if only dry firing. Most people don't.

Macaw1us, FWoo45 and OneEyedTanker like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted