Conflicted - Improvements or Sale?

Discussion in 'Nighthawk Custom' started by Cop_Out, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    Hi Folks,

I have a naked GRP pistol that I'm thinking about tinkering with. I'm not wild about front cocking serrations, so I was thinking about Hi-Power cuts. I like a flush-cut and crowned barrel and have a preference for the "moon hawk' logo behind the rear cocking serrations, which this gun doesn't have. Lastly, I'd like the thumb safety to be a bit smoother on the down stroke (I'm sure it's within spec, I just prefer it a bit lighter.), and I'd like different sights.

Anyhow, what say the hive, should I fix it or flip it?
    IMG_2730.JPG

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    Whiskey Sour likes this.
  2. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Front serrations end behind dust cover, so my vote goes to flip it

july19 likes this.

3. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    I'd buy it just as it is

Edit: I just looked up what these things cost. I would buy it as is if the price were a whole lot less than what I saw on GB.

4. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Modify it as you desire. It will be cheaper than the loss you will take selling it to buy another. Talk to Nighthawk to see what it will cost and then you will be able to make an informed decision

mikegalway and boatdoc like this.
  5. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    If there is enough room dust cover can be shortened just a bit to meet highpower cuts, I'd be more concerned if there is enough stock from the bushing slot to the flat of the side to remove the needed material with out welding..

Babboonbobo, mikegalway and boatdoc like this.
  6. bnaples

bnaples Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    I would flip it and build on a Colt but that's what I like. On the other hand...it wouldn't cost a fortune to do what you want to this one.

Whiskey Sour and limbkiller like this.
  7. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Fcs are going to be an issue with that one for carry cuts. I would flip it.

Steve Owens likes this.
  8. Whiskey Sour

Whiskey Sour Blossoming Addict

Apr 13, 2017
    I would talk to NHC about what you want and get a quote and then see what you could sell it for and make a decision based off your findings.

9. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Don't think the dust cover could be brought back a touch? Or the bushing slot too deep? I know you know your hawks. Then again it wouldn't necessarily be off as much as many I've seen ;)

10. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Pretty sure NH won’t do the alternations to the dust cover. I know WC will not.

11. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    Any stores near you that have what you want and could trade for ? Other than that , I'm with Whiskey . Talk to NHC , find out what you're desired mods would cost versus a flip or trade .

12. apipeguy

apipeguy Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2014
    I think it looks great as it is. Honest wear that can’t be bought. With the location that the front cocking serrations end, I would leave them. Flush cut and reverse crown is always on my builds along with a round butt mag well. A small rounded mag well doesn’t really create any concealment issues, makes quick mag changes easier and just plain looks good.

You have a great gun as it sits and you can loosen the safety by yourself but I prefer a tighter safety that gives you a good snick when it is taken off.

It is your gun and should be changed exactly the way you want it to be.

Old Sea Dragon likes this.
  13. stlgecko

stlgecko I’m just here for the 1911’s

May 24, 2014
    It’s a personal choice all the way. I think the gun looks awesome as is, but that’s my opinion. I like front cocking serrations and don’t understand the hate people have for them.

Nemain likes this.
  14. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    I should have mentioned the gun has the "smoked" nitride finish... It's not as old as it looks.

Also, I appreciate the information on the non-feasibility of Hi-Power cuts. I figured the cuts could begin at the lowest angle (or is it highest angle...lol) of the furthest serration. It didn't occur to me that the dust cover came into play!!

15. bnaples

Jun 24, 2013
    You could still do the cuts on it. ..they just wouldn't match the dust cover exactly. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

16. bnaples

Jun 24, 2013
    My front serrations don't match the dust cover and they look sick.

17. Daniel Gonzales

Daniel Gonzales Member

Aug 27, 2018
    Keep it, that's a beautiful gun the way it sits, but to each is his own. I do like the flush cut and crown on the barrel as well. Make yourself happy man that's what it's all about.

18. noveske_nut

noveske_nut Money talks but here it only says buh bye!! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2017
    So you want something like this? ;)

IMG_0131_JPG-394258 (1).jpg

I think you'd be better off if you found someone willing to trade or sell and buy what you actually want without too much of a difference either side.

If it's a forever gun, then it would make more sense to spend money on mods you'll never be able to recoup, but if it isn't...

gun_fan111 likes this.
  19. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    This is a keeper - very handsome pistol.

noveske_nut likes this.
  20. Daniel Gonzales

Daniel Gonzales Member

Aug 27, 2018
    Or looks like this

Attached Files: