Considering a Manurhin mr73

Discussion in 'Revolvers' started by cundiff5535, May 12, 2019.

1. cundiff5535

cundiff5535 Chambers Custom Owners Club

Apr 1, 2013
    Looking for some thoughts and opinions from the group.

Let me first say, I’m not a big revo guy. I have several... a few Pythons, a bunch of other snakes, a 686, a Smolt/Smython, and a few performance center guns from Smith. Honestly I rarely ever shoot them these days as I’ve gravitated toward the 1911s and other combat weapons.

I say that because I am not sure what’s gotten ahold of my lately. It seems all I’ve been looking at are MR73’s and Korth revos...

If I were to buy a Korth, I would just pay the money and be done with it. The MR73, gives me a few options... if I buy one, do I get a very nice out of the box civilian model with adjustable sights and amazing blue or do I hunt down one of the police trade ins? Price is a huge difference.

If I were to get the gorgeous civilian model, I’d likely bring it out for show and tell and it would hang out with the snakes in the safe. It probably wouldn’t get a lot of use other than when it’s tone for show and tell.

On the other hand, if I got the police model.... I would 100% sent it to a talented smith and have them work it over with a slew of cool enhancements! Make it a one of a kind revo that was as amazing looking as the civilian model yet something that would be insane because no one has ever seen something like it before! It would certainly get shot as well..

The draw back is, a lot of people wouldn’t really get why I would do this esp because when said and done, I could have just got the damn civilian model that’s already rocking and rolling. To add to that resale value of an I touch amazing MR73 likely will be more desirable (if I ever needed to let it go).

I’m not sure either make sense due to what I already have and the fact the I just don’t shoot them all that much... much it’s like anything, the bugs bitten me and I want one.

If it were you all, what would you do?! Any specific thoughts?

If I were sending it out it would go to someone like Karl B where I could say give this a classic reworking! Amazing reblue, rescroll, classic fixed sights, and some wood grips! Make it a one of a kind revo with the swag the original never had... or someone like Dave L where I could say turn this thing into a modern day hotrod! If the French counter intelligence unit were carrying these today and asked you to make them, what would your spin on it be! Something with a modern day finish but still beautiful (think ion bond or hard chrome... cut back barrel and milled flats and put some f/o fights on it!

Anyway you all get the point and idea here.

blamo likes this.
  2. Joni Lynn

Joni Lynn Professional Pest, NRA Patron member

Dec 21, 2014
    I've been debating both the new production Korth Mongoose in 6" as well as the Manurhin. For now, I'm not going to jump into either. Like you I find myself shooting 1911's as well as Sig 210 and CZ's. I have a bunch of wheel guns that mostly just sit. I recently had the opportunity to fire a 3" Mongoose and came away from that thinking it was a nice gun but not something I need right now.
    At this moment I think it wouldn't be one of my better ideas to adopt either. That's just me though. Best wishes.

3. Zaugau

Zaugau Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2017
    I too enjoy shooting 1911's the most, but I really like mixing it up and rotating around a bunch of range guns. So I don't shoot my MR73 as much as I should, but it does get regular use. By the way mine is a new Chapuis 5.25" model. I was pretty much set on a Manurhin over the Korth as I thought the service history was cool, and I liked the reported toughness. Reviews by bac1023 and on youtube kinda sealed the deal.

And yep with the looks and gorgeous blue, and with its interesting history, a new one would be a worthy addition to anyone's collection even as just a safe queen for show and tell. But this thing feels so solid and strong, and with the crazy round counts reported, you may find yourself bringing it out and putting it through its paces.

One other thing on the civilian model, mine had a 9 month wait time back in 2017. Something to consider in case your bug might in time turn into just a passing fancy. Not sure how frequently the used service models come up.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  4. jaydoc

jaydoc i'm riding a turtle!

Aug 10, 2012
    @Zaugau
    Bring that bad boy to the shoot!

notshawn54 and cundiff5535 like this.
  5. cundiff5535

cundiff5535 Chambers Custom Owners Club

Apr 1, 2013
    For the last 6 years I have wanted to come to this thing... Every year it seems that something pops up on the dates this is going down.

Ill be in Florida in Disney with the fam the week this is happening. Totally bummed out about it.

6. notshawn54

notshawn54 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2016
    After the first time I went, I told the wife to never schedule anything for the first weekend in June ever again. It would be nice to have more Illinois members show up.

FWoo45 and cundiff5535 like this.
  7. Zaugau

Zaugau Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2017
    Man, I would go, but I would be just getting back from Key West with my fiancee, and have lots of work going on here. A slim chance I'll be able to swing it, but doubtful this year.

8. jaydoc

jaydoc i'm riding a turtle!

Aug 10, 2012
    You'll be missed. I enjoyed shooting with you last year

9. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    I'd love to see a few more pics, including the flip side. Who did you order it through?

10. Andyd

Andyd Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2018
    The police trade-ins have been used hard and some were not working right. That is a problem with a gun that is different from any U.S. manufactured revolver, where parts and qualified service are hard to find ... and it starts with the grips. While Nills work, the Police models had grips like these:

[​IMG]

I would recommend a used private Manurhin or a new Chapuis Armes. The early MR73 suffered a problem with a round hand spring that slipped and rendered the gun inoperable but that was later changed to a flat design. This problem was experienced by a friend in my presence in the 1980s and had made me suspicious of the reliability for a long time. Now I have a 5 1/4" Manurhin MR73 and a 4" Chapuis Armes.

They are good guns and worth the money. Chapuis revolvers come with Nill grips, what more can you want?

Austin_TX and cundiff5535 like this.
  11. Zaugau

Zaugau Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2017
    Jaydoc, I feel the same.
    Old sea dragon, here's a pic of the other side, plus a dirty pic from my last range trip that also included a Single Six and a CZ Custom.

I ordered my MR73 from Kebco off of the GunsInternational site back in 2017. The standard grips are rubber, but you can request the Nill grips for an extra fee.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Old Sea Dragon

Feb 10, 2018
    Very cool, the world needs more quality revolver choices!

cundiff5535 likes this.
  13. Old Sea Dragon

Feb 10, 2018
    Kebco has several 3" for immediate delivery and some long barrels coming in this month or next :smile2: hmmm

cundiff5535 likes this.
  14. Andyd

Andyd Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2018
    That looks as if you reload, my Korth with Alliant Bullseye looks much the same.
    .32 Korth.jpg

15. Zaugau

Zaugau Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2017
    Nice Korth! Sport? What year?
    I don't reload, my dirty pic was after shooting a box of American Eagle .38 spl

cundiff5535 likes this.
  16. bac1023

bac1023 1911 Collector Moderator

Aug 15, 2011
    I love both Korth and Manurhin, though I only buy vintage models.

The 4" MR is actually a first year model from 1973.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, old Korths are very nice too. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Andyd

Andyd Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2018
    Thanks,

that is a 1989 Sport in .32 S&W Long with a 38xxx serial number.

cundiff5535 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted