Considering purchasing a GI No Name - Questions

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by mootpoint, Jan 9, 2012.

1. mootpoint

mootpoint New Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Hello,

I am new around here. I have been reading the forum for a while now, but only just now registered.

I am considering purchasing a Guncrafters Industries No Name.
    5" Govt
    w/ Magwell
    Flush & Reverse Crown
    (I'm still debating the sights)

This would be my first "high-end" 1911. I don't intend to carry this pistol concealed. The primary role for this pistol will be to use in action shooting (IDPA). Do any of you own/and use the No Name or the American in an action shooting role? What are your thoughts? How has it performed? What sights are you using?

I ask the last question due to the fact that I am undecided on what sights to use. It seems that most love the stock sights, albeit in a CCW/self-defense setup. I like the sights; however, I have no use for Tritium/Night Sights. I was leaning towards a 10-8 U-Notch battle sight and a gold bead front. I understand the merits of an adjustable sights, but I despise the way they look on an otherwise beautiful gun.

Or, have I completely missed the boat here and I should just purchase something along the lines of a Les Baer Premier II w/ Magwell?

I apologize for the lengthy post.

Regards,

2. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    I have 2 No Names, with a third on the way. You won't go wrong with a GC NN. :thumb: Also, :welcometo:

3. 20South

20South Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I have a few myself and agree with this man completely. I bought mine for self defense setup, so mine are the Straight 8 sights. They have all been flawless, but I don't think thats your concern. You should just call/e-mail Alex. He was a competitive shooter for years with several championships under his belt. I am sure he would help you and get to your ideal setup. I would call DRC for the order however.

4. drcfirearms

drcfirearms Forum Sponsor Sponsor

Aug 16, 2011
    I am a dealer for several of the "major" players in the semi-custom 1911 market. All of the people that I have done business with will tell you, without a shadow of a doubt, that I personally believe the Guncrafter pistols are the absolute best value for the money in their price point (and some points above). Alex and Company are perfectionists....My personal carry pistols are Guncrafters....currently a .50 GI M3 Bobtail, but I am anxiously awaiting the new CCO to arrive. Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have. I would be happy to help.......

5. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  6. carguy2244

carguy2244 Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Sights are an individual preference. However, if you want a weapon that's surgically accurate with flawless function, a NN will suit your needs. I got mine from Dave, and recommend him highly.

7. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA member Supporting Addict

Dec 24, 2011

I never even held a GC, but it does appear alot of pistol for the $. As for sights without tritium, 10-8 gets my vote.

In terms of Baer, for the NN price, a SRP would be a better comparison.

8. flea

flea Member

Dec 30, 2011
    First you can't go wrong with a "No Name" from Guncrafter Industries. Second, DRCfirearms is a buyers best friend. Best prices, best service and best follow through of anyone selling weapons.

Best of luck, Vern

9. mootpoint

mootpoint New Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Thanks for all of the assistance. I think I will end up with a No Name with a 10-8 Rear and Gold Bead Front.

I gave David at DRC Firearms a call and followed it up with an email outlining what I was looking for. I am just waiting for a quote from him before I proceed.

10. 20South

20South Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Well done. Can't wait to see it.

11. deadguy

deadguy Jack Welch Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Good job Moot. Although I haven't purchased anything from Dave (got a free hat for answering a question though!) he's a great guy and feel sure you will get rock star treatment.

12. drcfirearms

drcfirearms Forum Sponsor Sponsor

Aug 16, 2011
    I forwarded it on to Alex and talked to him again today. I expect the quote very soon.

13. mootpoint

mootpoint New Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Thanks David. I appreciate the assistance and look forward to hearing from you.

14. motodan00

motodan00 New Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I too am looking to pick up a No Name, and can't wait to have one in my collection.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted