Consolidating 9mm/38 Super/SIG 357

Discussion in 'Caliber Talk: Ammunition, Reloading, and Shooting ' started by RatBikeRod, Jul 15, 2020.

1. RatBikeRod

RatBikeRod You Don’t Know Me!

Nov 22, 2017
    From a reloading standpoint I have been using the following;

9mm - commodity 124 gr round nose
    38 Super - 124 HAP
    SIG 357 - 125 flat nose

I am wondering if I could consolidate all of that and just use these and wanted to get thoughts from you guys. Here is what I am thinking I could consolidate to;

RMR - 9mm 124 Gr RMR FMJ Truncated Cone Flat Point MatchWinner Bullets

[​IMG]

gps man likes this.
  2. Apollo99

Apollo99 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2017
    All three of the calibers you listed are .355 bore diameter. Even the 38 super which gets listed from .355 - .358 is now mostly .355. So if you're happy with the performance of the new chosen bullet, I say give them a whirl and check out the accuracy, speed and Pressure. As long as they feed, if all OK, you have yourself a winner. I too have been consolidating my reloading components, but I am often gifted so much powder, primers, brass and bullets from former reloaders, I keep finding my self with odd ball components, but when it's free I can't complain.

3. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    The .357 SIG with its short neck and long OAL is the clanger. It needs a rather blunt bullet.
    Will the RMRs seat deep enough?

RatBikeRod likes this.
  4. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    Good point. I load a lot less of the SIG 357, but I will check that.

5. psafety

psafety ex Rent-a-Engineer

Oct 11, 2018
    I consolidated 38 spec, 357 mag, 38 super all to 0.357 all to 125gr XTP's picked up some 140 gr XTP's to play with.
    I have a 9mm barrel for my Guardian if I ever load 9 it'll be 0.357 if it plunks.

6. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    I would call those virtually identical, wouldn't you?

Left is a 125 gr for SIG 357 and the other is a Barry's 124 9mm flat point

[​IMG]

7. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    I think generally you could do that, although most 9mm will prefer a .355 or .356 - moving up to .357 might cause some pressure issues.

Dub likes this.
  8. Big Balls McGee

Big Balls McGee Active Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Is there a lesson here?

Apollo99 likes this.
  9. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    How do you like Berry's? Never tried plated bullets.

10. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    I really like them and have had good luck with numerous loads with Barry’s bullets.

11. Apollo99

Apollo99 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Is there a lesson here? Quote from Big Balls McGee, No most of them just got too old , one of them I do all his loading for now as he never really got the hang of it, and a lot of the stuff I get is from their widows. It's good to be the known reloader in the area in that regard.

Dub likes this.
  12. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    I load that RMR 124 Match Winner in my Super .38s and my 9mm.

Works great in both.

I find them to be a Superb projectile.

RatBikeRod likes this.
  13. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    I have a friend who I fixed an M1A1 Thompson for, then his TRW M-21, and after he shot some of my hand loads, he shoots my 7.62/308 ammo almost exclusively. I just got a huge box of unused 9mm bullets. Personally I just like shooting his Giles gun every once in awhile. Last project has been going through his M1 collection and going type and type II bedding on them after finding NM parts. Used to have a huge box of M1 NM parts I pulled off some hurried arsenal rebuilds that went overseas. We refurbished them, so I made the point of "replacing" the old NM parts with new issue parts. Funniest of all, 95% of 633 of those rifles had sat in storage unused in a dry climate! :)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  14. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    Well I'd prefer to standardize with something like a 124. Finding jacketed is a PITA at the moment. I'll ask an old Aderdeen buddy what thinks and possibly give them a try until I can move back to jacketed

15. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Old buddy at Aberdeen......
    you likely knew Bob Ferris.

16. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    Humpy. He was on the US Palma Team.

17. jcc7x7

jcc7x7 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2019
    I've used these with great results in all three calibers.

gps man and RatBikeRod like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted