1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I moved my family to Nashville after living Kaliforniastan my whole life (50+ years) and enjoyed the freedoms that I grew so envious of over the years.

So now TN is going to Constitutional Carry and I'm really struggling with it. I have my TN lifetime CCW and actively train at least 2 weekends a month (competing in USPSA and solo drills). I have noticed at the local gun range a lot of less experienced shooters trying out their new pistols and skills. While I'm happy they are there to try and increase their safety and firing skills I get uneasy at the thought of having some of them carrying concealed and having to fire under stress without taking out innocents. I do offer tips and such if I see someone struggling or practicing unsafe movements but in general I let the RSO keep an eye on things.

So, long story short, am I alone with these concerns or am I letting my inexperience with an openly supported gun culture get the best of my concerns?

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
No your not. I deal with the same thing. That's the price you have to pay on Public ranges. I just go on off hours & days. The range should offer a basic course for beginners. More that a 60 second check on gun operation. I'm all for more people getting into guns, it keeps the 2nd Amend. going. It just gets to me when idiots are more interested in taking "selfies" that what they are suppose to be paying attention too.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
The "Right" always carries a "Responsibility" with it!
But that responsibility is ours, the people, not the governments.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Unfortunately, it’s like bad drivers. Just because they have a license (or constitutional right) doesn’t mean that they can carry and shoot safely.

As much as I am all for the pro-2A aspects of Constitutional Carry, I’d rather see NATIONAL CCW PERMITS good in all states (no mag or defense ammo restrictions, “approved lists,” and/or other BS)... with annual qualifying requirements, kind of like LEOSA.

Where I live, the biggest hazard are guns stolen from unlocked cars! Just NO! Require a carry permit (readily available and speedy processing with a solid background check) that comes with requirements of commitment to training and responsibility.

I’d be more than happy to see the expansion of businesses that promote, train, and qualify safe American 2A liberties!

(I’m very fortunate to have access to a beautiful outdoor range, owned by the FOP... civilian associate membership. The rules are basically no idiots or unsafe actions... and very seriously enforced. Other than that, complete freedom, have fun and practice however you like, safely.)

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,052 Posts
@Sheik_Yerbutay you can't have it both ways, I'd rather have unqualified people armed than nobody like CA. Become a range officer, teach, help, mentor because once you go down the regulation/qualification rabbit hole you wind up back in CA.

·
CEO of DILLIGAF industries
8,484 Posts
I've seen this a lot in the last decade . People buy their first gun and away they go . I'd like to see people encouraged to train , not forced into anything . When you're at a range open to the public whether it's at a park or a store - range , you'll see all types . Hopefully they have a good RSO . FWIW the worst I've seen lately are the Brinks guards . They seem to hire some of the most inept shooters I've ever seen .

·
Never Forget
9,027 Posts
So, grandma who is in a wheel chair and lives in the hood and is living off her dead husband's pension should have to go to a range and train, qualify, and be forced to pay for something that she was granted by being born as a human? The 2A only recognizes the right to self defense, it doesn't give it to you. And the government doesn't either.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,607 Posts
You should worry about you, not them. There will always be inexperienced people buying guns, shooting at the range, and carrying them, just as there always has. You're just more conscious of them now because you're "into guns". In reality there probably isn't a big jump in people buying guns because of pending constitutional carry and what increase there is will fade quickly once it becomes law and the novelty wears off. Maine got constitutional carry several years ago and the only big change was fewer people renewing their CC permits because they didn't need them. No increase in shootings, either intentional or accidental, no people flashing their guns, the sky didn't fall, and none of the BS that the media, liberals, and Fudds always say is going to happen happened. I'd put money on it being the same in TN.

·
I like this place !
681 Posts
Just before I retired I took the NRA Pistol Instructors course with intent of assisting with CCW courses in Ohio. Although the NRA certification allowed me to sign off on people getting their CCW, I didn’t want that responsibility. My concern was that I would be giving a training class and thinking “I really don’t think that person should be carrying a gun, or that person, or that person”. I did, however, see the value in assisting and being more available to help individuals needing it.

While I know, and recognize, the right given us in the 2nd amendment, there are some people who just should not carry guns because they will never get the proper training or practice once they have their CCW. My preference is to work with people before and after they get their CCW. If they are serious enough to train before and after obtaining their CCW, I’m hopeful they are serious enough to continue training and practicing.

My daughter’s M-I-L, knowing that I’m a gun person, piped up once saying she wanted to get a gun. Knowing she was one of those people who wasn’t cut out to handle a gun, I discussed other self defense options with her and discouraged her from considering a gun. Had she been a good candidate I would have offered to work with her, but knowing her personality and physical constraints, a gun wasn’t a good option for her.

·
6,607 Posts
@Sheik_Yerbutay you can't have it both ways, I'd rather have unqualified people armed than nobody like CA. Become a range officer, teach, help, mentor because once you go down the regulation/qualification rabbit hole you wind up back in CA.
I agree 110%. Great post.

·
6,607 Posts
"With great power there must also come great responsibility", or simply "With great power comes great responsibility"
With gun ownership and carry comes great PERSONAL responsibility, not social or communal responsibility.

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,776 Posts
Just how many actual self defense occurrences with a firearm involve people that “train” for it!?
I’m guessing most involve those with little to no training. Is it good to have training, absolutely but it can not be a requirement as that “infringes”!!!!!
Although yes I do agree 1,000,000% there are those that should not have a firearm of any sort, I’ve seen them and they scare the crap out of me, it is not for the government to decide!

Enjoy this fine day ladies and gentlemen:)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts