1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
الواحد
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Try to make a long story short. I saw some Army 1911s in my travels that weren’t standard. The picture of those guns is burned into my head. So decided I was going to have one like it built down the road and started chasing parts. I wanted a Contract Replacement Hard Slide with the drawing number. I miss out on one for sale here due to timing. I didn’t care who the MFG was just wanted it USGI and correct.

Browsing gunbroker I found one and it’s a Colt! From about the Vietnam era the seller said. I had no idea Colt made these.

rambling done here’s the pics

ECDCC872-0188-484D-8902-34B0575E6ABD.jpeg
9893E6D4-FCDD-4118-B12E-0E73F21443DC.jpeg
FA86F66A-F693-40BD-8543-20716BD4688E.jpeg
30A735A1-3CE9-4F09-968D-70A3D071ED77.jpeg

·
الواحد
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Plans
-Harrison Design Retro rear sight Ed Brown black Novak rear
-Trijicon HD front Ed Brown XR Front
-Matching front cocking serrations
-Checker front strap
-EB safeties and most small parts, C&S ignition kit, a few Wilson parts, HD trigger, Stan Chen magwell
-National Match Barrel
-National Match Bushing
-Maybe some ejection port work, this baby will be ready to go!

·
Premium Member
6,342 Posts
Might think about replacing a staked front sight. They do come off at awkward moments. Leave the 60s Colt alone, it's a classic. Just get a frame and start fresh.

·
الواحد
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Post #3 details some of the work planned. Leaving the ‘61 alone and keeping it isn’t an option. It’s serves me no practical purpose as is. It’ll either be used for this project or sold.

·
Premium Member
6,342 Posts
Post #3 details some of the work planned. Leaving the ‘61 alone and keeping it isn’t an option. It’s serves me no practical purpose as is. It’ll either be used for this project or sold.

If it's in good or better condition, sell it. It'll cover a whole lot of parts and then some. 50s and early 60s Colts do bring good prices if they're in good or better condition.

EDIT: I just went back and looked at the pictures. if the insides are as nice and the outsides, sell it. Then build up a good shopping list... you'll have the money for it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts