1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

· Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve convinced the Mrs to carry and now need to look for a gun suitable for the role. She doesn’t like guns with trigger safeties. She’s shot a glock of mine in the past and at times would ride the trigger to high and not depress the safety tab. In addition, 9mm out of my g19 had to much recoil so I’m thinking 9mm will be out of the equation. We’re going to the range next weekend and I’m going to have her try some 38 special wadcutters through my k6s.

If the standard pressure 38 has to much recoil what else should I look at? I’ve shot a few pocket 380s and feel like they are going to be to snappy. Is something like the Ruger LCR in 22 mag enough?

Any suggestions or experience with smaller recoil sensitive shooters is appreciated.

· Premium Member
631 Posts
I’ve convinced the Mrs to carry and now need to look for a gun suitable for the role. She doesn’t like guns with trigger safeties. She’s shot a glock of mine in the past and at times would ride the trigger to high and not depress the safety tab. In addition, 9mm out of my g19 had to much recoil so I’m thinking 9mm will be out of the equation. We’re going to the range next weekend and I’m going to have her try some 38 special wadcutters through my k6s.

If the standard pressure 38 has to much recoil what else should I look at? I’ve shot a few pocket 380s and feel like they are going to be to snappy. Is something like the Ruger LCR in 22 mag enough?

Any suggestions or experience with smaller recoil sensitive shooters is appreciated.
My vote would be a commander size 9mm 1911. LW frame if you’re concerned about weight

· Premium Member
636 Posts
The key to success is what she will shot well and carry. After handling several for ‘feel’ and ‘function’, and then shooting about 5 of the selected from the collection, my wife selected the S&W Performance Center Shield in 45 and a Berreta 92C. It’s was all about her choices.

I sent the 92C to Wilson Combat for several upgrades based on her feedback and going over all the WC build options together . I am exceptionally proud and happy that my dearest carries and shoots Her guns on our range regularly and well.

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Everyday carry

· Premium Member
230 Posts
Shield 380 or even 9mm. Less recoil than the g19 and easier to manipulate. Totally different trigger than the glock. She may not like it but definitely a strong contender that she should try.
I would add the Sig P365 .380 to the mix as well - look at it along with the Shield and see which better fits her personal preference. The 365 in .380 is very soft shooting, not snappy. Sig modularity gives it the added bonus that if you end up liking it as well you could later buy a 9mm barrel and slide and share it with her. Or later buy a comp slide and she might be able to graduate to the 9, which compensated isn't terribly snappier than the .380.

· Registered
322 Posts
Sig P238 is a great little gun in .380 with minimal snap. It comes in a number of variants. Here are several:

· Registered
88 Posts
I second the motion of her going to a shooting school, like Gunsite. She will learn proper shooting technique as well as recoil management. I've started several new shooters (ladies) out with a 45 government model. If you don't tell them that recoil is an issue, they never know. The exception to that would be physical factors such as arthritis, but even then they can fire 50+ rounds without getting fatigued.

· Registered
Ask me about faith...
1,706 Posts
Maybe send her to a training class... serve 2 purposes with one class. Many classes for newer shooters have a variety of guns to try out.
This^^^^

And let her pick the gun she likes.. Not the one you think she should get... She has to feel confident with the gun or she won't carry it...JMHO...

· Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This^^^^

And let her pick the gun she likes.. Not the one you think she should get... She has to feel confident with the gun or she won't carry it...JMHO...
I can do some looking but I don’t know of a class that’s close to me.

Unless you happen to know a good one in Iowa.

I’ve taught her basic shooting principles and technique. She won’t be required to have a CC permit as Iowa is a constitutional carry state but is going to take a CC class and get her license before she does.

· Registered
8,511 Posts
As others have mentioned, send her to a class for new women shooters. Most ranges offer classes for women, taught by women, where basic safety and shooting fundamentals are taught and they have all the rental guns available to try. The local one to me calls it “The Better Half Club” or some crap. My mom really enjoyed it and has gone a few times.

· Registered
21 Posts
5 shot J frame in alloy. Light loads. In the end, her choice. LCP and the like in .380 is unpleasant to shoot. For a mouse gun, I still like a .22 Beretta Bobcat. Light. Flip up barrel. Don’t even have to rack the slide. Mine likes CCI’s. Can fire DA/SA and carry with the safety off. I still like a J frame better.

· Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As others have mentioned, send her to a class for new women shooters. Most ranges offer classes for women, taught by women, where basic safety and shooting fundamentals are taught and they have all the rental guns available to try. The local one to me calls it “The Better Half Club” or some crap. My mom really enjoyed it and has gone a few times.
The range I go to is a small outdoor range that doesn’t offer classes. I’ll call the Izaak Walton league near us and see what they offer.

· THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER
4,074 Posts
I highly recommend a J-Frame with wadcutters. They are light, safe for carry and .38 Special is easily available and even reloadable simply, if you are feeling like getting into that. My wife has large hands for a woman and could handle any of my guns fine, she prefers the simplicity of a revolver. Felt recoil is no big deal with some VZ grips or boot grips.I would forget about all these new guns/models and get an alloy Smith and Wesson.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts