1911 Firearm Addicts banner
21 - 40 of 90 Posts

· Registered
4,426 Posts
Based upon what you describe a .38 snub won't work, as they are rather obnoxious and especially for new shooters or those with an aversion to a lot of muzzle flash, recoil and noise. The biggest issue in my opinion is the "carry" part of the equation. What gun can she shoot and train with(while not being scared of it or acquiring a flinch) and still carry reasonably?

We picked up a .22 Mag LCRX with the exposed hammer and 3" barrel. My wife fell in love and wanted to carry it. She knows why I'd have her carry something larger and many times she does. My wife shoots more than most and does quite well with it, but I still plan on "upgrading" her LCR and it will be to a .327 Federal, but it will be carried with .32H&R's. Not only is it easier to shoot than its .38 counterpart, but you also get a sixth round rather than five .38's. In either .32 or .38 she will carry full wadcutters. It's far too proven to deny the performance.

The reliability of HP's to expand at snub velocities isn't something I'd bank at all on and then I would be more concerned about under penetration if it did expand. In my opinion and all of it's value, I believe that the concern is a bullet that will penetrate deep enough to reach the important parts. That's why I believe in WC's in snubnose centerfire revolvers and in .22lr or Mag I believe that 40gr. solids in the lr or FMJ in the Mag are the way to go. If I were to use a pocket .32acp or .380acp, I would use FMJ's in both.

If the shooter is truly limited to rimfire revolvers(and if they are limited to rimfires, the revolver is much more appealing than a semi-auto) and needs to conceal it, the LCR is great because of its weight and ease of carry. If that were the limitation and if the shortest barrel were needed I would feel better about the eight rounds in the .22lr version than the six in the .22Mag. The velocity loss makes the additional two in the lr more valuable in my opinion.

We bought a Ruger LCP shortly after they came out 13 or more years ago. We still have the original and have had a couple more since. They are about impossible to beat for ease of carry, but they are not easy to shoot and have limited velocity based on the cartridge itself and the sub-2" barrel. My mother picked up a S&W EZ Shield .380 for many of the reasons we are discussing and when she passed earlier this year it came to me. It is a bit larger than an LCP, but with all the advantages as well. The limitations of the individual are hard to truly quantify but if we are looking at a sub-9mm that needs to be concealed these are things that I have used in the past and they have proven reliable, but I have never used one in a self defense shooting.

· Registered
3,546 Posts
My wife has small hands, her carry is a LCP Custom 380. She picked it out and shoots it very well. She pairs it with pepper spray, I wouldn’t want to get hit with either.
Your wife will be more happy with a firearm that she likes.

Wood Air gun Flooring Gun accessory Grass

· Administrator
2,863 Posts
The k6s is a good choice if she likes the feel of a revolver. My wife however, doesn't like wheel guns but she did like the SA Hellcat enough to claim it as her own.

My wife didn't like them either, thought they were too "old school". But after realizing that she couldn't clear a jam efficiently her attitude changed, now she carries a j-frame and has confidence shooting it.

· Premium Member
135 Posts
I’ve convinced the Mrs to carry and now need to look for a gun suitable for the role. She doesn’t like guns with trigger safeties. She’s shot a glock of mine in the past and at times would ride the trigger to high and not depress the safety tab. In addition, 9mm out of my g19 had to much recoil so I’m thinking 9mm will be out of the equation. We’re going to the range next weekend and I’m going to have her try some 38 special wadcutters through my k6s.

If the standard pressure 38 has to much recoil what else should I look at? I’ve shot a few pocket 380s and feel like they are going to be to snappy. Is something like the Ruger LCR in 22 mag enough?

Any suggestions or experience with smaller recoil sensitive shooters is appreciated.
maybe a Sig P238 or colt Mustang. I have a couple of each. I’ve a Sig P238 Legion that is far better than the others. If you can find one, the magwell with the proprietary magazines (different baseplates to fit the magwell and not compatible with the other Sig P238s) gives it a very much better grip and handling. Also a nice trigger, good sights-and fit and finish is better as well.

· Premium Member
50 Posts
My wife didn't like my Sig365XL. Too snappy for her. Liked her SW EZ380. I put the Parker Mountain Machine, comp on the Sig. Now she likes it over the 380...

/www.parkermountainmachine.com/product/pmm-p365p365xp365xl-micro-jttc-and-barrel-combo/

· Registered
280 Posts
My gf really likes her Ruger LCR revolver She lacks the hand strength to effectively rack the slide on most semi-autos. She did not like shooting .357 Mag through it, but she does very well with .38 Special.
I just traded my .38 spl LCR for one in .327 Fed and fill it with various . 32 loads. Unless one swaps out the Hogue grips for Pachmyars, I find the .38 spl version to be fairly abusive. Problem is the Pachmyars are larger and less concealable I recently advised a young nurse, who was not going to be a regular shooter, that she might consider the LCR IN .22 or .22 magnum.

· Registered
1,304 Posts
I would stay away from the J Frames if she is a beginner. I used to default to them with my girlfriends and not a one liked them because of recoil even with .38 loads. Get her into a class or take her to a range that allows rental of all types of guns to see what is most comfortable for her to shoot accurately and reliably in a 9mm or larger caliber. That’s always Step 1. With that confidence, she can graduate to a smaller package for easier carry and work on that recoil sensitivity or stay with the what is working for her.

· Registered
232 Posts
Due to the weight, 1911 in 9mm is low recoil and also easy to rack. Maybe too big for everyday carry, though. If you want to stay Glockish, I would try Shadow Systems and see if she likes the different grip angles. My petite daughter prefers the Springfield XD among the plastic 9mm strikers, and we’ve tried them all. I would also start her with some low power 9mm and work up to the full power JHP loads.

· Registered
1,338 Posts
It might be worth the investment to take a drive to a range that rents a variety of pistols and let her try them. Maybe you can narrow it down by going to a store with a lot in stock and letting her handle them to see which ones fit her best. It may not be convenient based on where you live, but finding her something that really “fits” her would be worth the time and effort. Make it into a “day date” some Saturday. Worst case, it’s only 4 1/2 hours from Davenport to Omaha! 😄

Reactions: Falkor_shooter

· Registered
501 Posts
When my 80 year old mother got her permit, I knew she wouldn’t be able to handle much gun. So I got her a Ruger LCR in .22LR. Of course it’s not what most her would select. But, it holds 8 rounds of CCI Stinger and she’s not afraid to practice with it. I figure a gun is better than no gun. I went through it and polished the trigger group and may have installed the hammer spring from a .38 in it. The trigger pull is lighter and tons smoother now.

· Registered
135 Posts
I don’t know about the “carry” part of the equation, but for the “shooting“ part you can’t go wrong with an L- or K-frame S&W loaded with 148gr wadcutters.

I’ve taken a bunch of first-timers shooting and they always love my 586 with wadcutters: it’s smooth, accurate, and a real pussycat. Plus, the grip seems to fit just about everyone’s hands.

· Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
It might be worth the investment to take a drive to a range that rents a variety of pistols and let her try them. Maybe you can narrow it down by going to a store with a lot in stock and letting her handle them to see which ones fit her best. It may not be convenient based on where you live, but finding her something that really “fits” her would be worth the time and effort. Make it into a “day date” some Saturday. Worst case, it’s only 4 1/2 hours from Davenport to Omaha! 😄
You make a good argument. I think that’s going to be the plan. We’ll shoot what I currently have and when we have a free weekend head to a range that rents and try out some others.

· Registered
424 Posts
So my missus carries, and I was on a mission to get her to carry something larger caliber than her beloved.380. into her hands I have placed the following:

Kimber Micro 9
Sig P365XL
Wesson ECP
Wilson X9s
Wilson X9

All of which were "passable" to quote her directly. I could tell she wasn't interested in anything I had presented to her for trial to this point.I was quite confused so I asked her if she had a preference. Her reply, the Walther PPS.

The moral of the story: just ask her what she likes.

21 - 40 of 90 Posts