1911 Firearm Addicts banner
41 - 60 of 90 Posts

· Premium Member
1,176 Posts
I agree w/ folks earlier, the M&P Shield would be a good choice, or an even better choice might be a Nighthawk Custom Lady Hawk or the "toned down" Kestrel. If money isn't a total issue and/or you have a special occasion coming up, go w/ the Nighthawk. Worse case, she doesn't like it and you have to deal w/ it...

Let us know if that happens, and we'll all feel sorry for you at once :whistle:

· Registered
65 Posts
The trigger pull on the Ruger LCR in 22 Mag is surprisingly heavy and Ruger wasn't any help to reduce it. Granted that rimfires have a heavy mainspring, the one I bought was out of bounds.

· Registered
7 Posts
Sig P238 is a great little gun in .380 with minimal snap. It comes in a number of variants. Here are several:

AGREE; my wife has two p238s: a Lady Sig, and a purple sig, and loves them. Be sure your wife picks the gun, though. BEST if can find a rental or a friend with the models you're considering, then let her shoot them!
Sig P238 is a great little gun in .380 with minimal snap. It comes in a number of variants. Here are several:

· Registered
22 Posts
Stayed out of it as well other than to push trying a ton of different models. She chose two after about a month; had tried a G19 and G43, Ruger Max 9, Sig P365X, and a Ruger LCR before choosing to stick with .380ACP in two models...the P238 Legion for her carry and the Smith EZ Performance so she could have a light here at home. She took a class with the EZ over two days and put 500 rounds through, completely loved the experience.

Seems like there is soooo much good when looking at, carrying, and then shooting that P238 model. As always some to debate is the operation if you're not a safety "fan" for carry, the capacity, and as always...the round itself. Thank goodness we can have personal preferences and there are so many options. In short, the .380 in these platforms was an excellent match for my wife. Glad she is making the jump to carry.

Shawn

· Registered
34 Posts
It was funny to watch the guys behind the counter giving her opinions and advice instead of me but to her credit the one she could work the easiest was her choice,lucky it was problem free at the range.Bad part is I’m reloading those puny 9s again

· Registered
34 Posts
Stayed out of it as well other than to push trying a ton of different models. She chose two after about a month; had tried a G19 and G43, Ruger Max 9, Sig P365X, and a Ruger LCR before choosing to stick with .380ACP in two models...the P238 Legion for her carry and the Smith EZ Performance so she could have a light here at home. She took a class with the EZ over two days and put 500 rounds through, completely loved the experience.

Seems like there is soooo much good when looking at, carrying, and then shooting that P238 model. As always some to debate is the operation if you're not a safety "fan" for carry, the capacity, and as always...the round itself. Thank goodness we can have personal preferences and there are so many options. In short, the .380 in these platforms was an excellent match for my wife. Glad she is making the jump to carry.

Shawn
Sorry I would of left her at the gun store if it was a 380

· THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER
4,070 Posts
It was funny to watch the guys behind the counter giving her opinions and advice instead of me but to her credit the one she could work the easiest was her choice,lucky it was problem free at the range.Bad part is I’m reloading those puny 9s again
Naw, 9mm is still pretty cheap.

· Registered
1,513 Posts
Maybe send her to a training class... serve 2 purposes with one class. Many classes for newer shooters have a variety of guns to try out.
That's what my lady did & she will be doing another class as it really helped her. She's no ready to carry yet, but when she decides she wants to, she already has her LTCF and will be better prepared & equipped.

She had a Shield EZ 9mm and did not like it. Grip was too slim for her. Just traded it on a G43x. Planning to break the 43x in this weekend. I am looking forward to shooting it too. Might replace my Hellcat with one or maybe a G48 or a Hellcat pro lol. Canik SC was a close runner up.

· Registered
1,513 Posts
As others have mentioned, send her to a class for new women shooters. Most ranges offer classes for women, taught by women, where basic safety and shooting fundamentals are taught and they have all the rental guns available to try. The local one to me calls it “The Better Half Club” or some crap. My mom really enjoyed it and has gone a few times.
Would be nice to see some of the classes local to us taught by women, but the women classes are still taught by men

· THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER
4,070 Posts
Would be nice to see some of the classes local to us taught by women, but the women classes are still taught by men
Perhaps in your area.......out here in Arizona as lots of places now, women shooters are one of the fastest growing identities.....and thus there are 3 stores that have knowledgable women both showing and discussing as well as teaching women shooters. It is a good thing as women voters often outvote men by number and help keep idiotic gun "control" measures from being adopted. Arizona is unique indeed, however, crazy Eastern seaboard states will eventually catch up. All it takes is a woman who is alone and is unfortunately attacked, but successfully defends herself with a handgun to tell her story of how it could have been way worse.

Until men properly respect women and hold them in the proper esteem they are (most) deserving of....attacks will continue to occur and women should be able to protect themselves. I certainly promote that within my family. My wife totally relaxes at night. when I am home, but actually ends up with a week long sleep disorder when I am gone working.

· Registered
322 Posts
Had one,and even though the ammo is slightly better it isn’t what the criminals and carjackers use.
What's the thrust of the argument here? That she's being a little baby by wanting a .380, and instead she needs a rhino gun that shoots Casull 454?

I'd rather have a wife that's armed with a .380, which is a perfectly capable round in well-trained hands, than one who shoots a rhino round and is deterred permanently.

· Registered
34 Posts
What's the thrust of the argument here? That she's being a little baby by wanting a .380, and instead she needs a rhino gun that shoots Casull 454?

I'd rather have a wife that's armed with a .380, which is a perfectly capable round in well-trained hands, than one who shoots a rhino round and is deterred permanently.
[/QUOTE. You know, you’re right .380 is the Intelligent choice all around.A real gem.

· Registered
302 Posts
Had one,and even though the ammo is slightly better it isn’t what the criminals and carjackers use.

I'm surprised she didn't look at the Sig P365- MACRO .... weighs 21.5 oz .. thinnest and lightest gun Sig has designed - and it's 17 shot...

Or the new Walthers 3.5 PDP-F ... designed specifically for women, has some of the best trigger action on the planet and it's 15 shooter.

-

41 - 60 of 90 Posts