1911 Firearm Addicts banner
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

· Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
don't know if you bought a gun for your wife yet. As stated a S&W shield M&P EZ performance center in 380 or a wheel gun with 4 inch barrel in 38 or 357 so she could shoot 38 special.
We are planning on going to range tomorrow and shooting anything she’s interested in! I’m not sure if they have a shield in 380 but if they do she will give it a try.

· Registered
187 Posts
I would add the Sig P365 .380 to the mix as well - look at it along with the Shield and see which better fits her personal preference. The 365 in .380 is very soft shooting, not snappy. Sig modularity gives it the added bonus that if you end up liking it as well you could later buy a 9mm barrel and slide and share it with her. Or later buy a comp slide and she might be able to graduate to the 9, which compensated isn't terribly snappier than the .380.
Make sure she can rack it if you go with the 365. My wife loves the pistol, but cannot rack it. I am in a similar boat on helping her decide. On the upside, I love having the 365 as my handy grab-lite gun.

· Registered
613 Posts
We've tried the following over the last 10 years-
Ruger LC9 concealed great couldn't shoot it put an Apex trigger in it still couldn't shoot it grip was likely too thin causing her to rotate it. Sold..
Glock 26 not enough grip for her hands, needed extended mags carried it daily for 8+ years
Sig P239 too heavy for daily comfort but shoots it well won't give it up but just sits in the safe..
Glock 48 new addition seems like a good compromise, we shall see how the range sessions go. Just bought the Shield 15 rd. mags and WC sights so I'm hoping it fits her well. She'll gift the G26 to our oldest son if she bonds with the G48.

In my opinion .380 ammo is too expensive to train frequently with.

· Premium Member
231 Posts
Make sure she can rack it if you go with the 365. My wife loves the pistol, but cannot rack it. I am in a similar boat on helping her decide. On the upside, I love having the 365 as my handy grab-lite gun.
My wife has no issues racking the 365.

Which must be why people keep telling her she has an amazing rack. 🤷‍♂️:unsure:

· Registered
187 Posts
Ruger LC9 concealed great couldn't shoot it put an Apex trigger in it still couldn't shoot it grip was likely too thin causing her to rotate it. Sold..
Glock 26 not enough grip for her hands, needed extended mags carried it daily for 8+ years
Sig P239 too heavy for daily comfort but shoots it well won't give it up but just sits in the safe..
Glock 48 new addition seems like a good compromise, we shall see how the range sessions go. Just bought the Shield 15 rd. mags and WC sights so I'm hoping it fits her well. She'll gift the G26 to our oldest son if she bonds with the G48.

I think my recommendation, based on info you have given is the 365xl or macro. Both are a great size and can accommodate red dots.

· In Kentucky
12,186 Posts
I heard a Roger's A++ would work. Lol Mary went from 45 M&P to a 357 revolver. The bone cancer has made slides to hard to pull back. I've got it loaded with Winchester 38 plus p hp

· Registered
1,004 Posts
My wife loves her Sig P238. She shoots it very well and can rack the slide easily, but has yet to really get into all aspects of pistol manipulation. She struggles with the thumb safety a bit which worries me. I’m really trying to get her to shoot more and to take a class so she can get comfortable carrying. So far she’s been a bit blasé about it, but last week a woman was randomly attacked about 4 blocks from our house (in a normally sleepy, safe little town), and I think that got my wife’s attention.

· Registered
302 Posts

[/QUOTe
I think my recommendation, based on info you have given is the 365xl or macro. Both are a great size and can accommodate red dots.

Yep, you'll love that MACRO ... 21oz and a 17 shot ---- and maybe an inch wide.

It's like hitting the lottery ................ well, kinda...

-

· Registered
12 Posts
@Falkor_shooter I have some experience in this area.
My subjects of study:
a) cannot rack the slide of most 9mm
b) does not like long trigger pulls
c) Not great at tolerating sharp recoil

So the surprises I found:
a) loves STI LS9 (no longer made)
b) loves 1911 triggers
c) can rack the slide no problem of STI LS9, Bereta PX4 full size, Glock 20
d) can easily rack the slide and operate the controls of S&W Equalizer 9mm
e) loves G20 magazines -- easy to push rounds in. G20 slide racking is also fine, but cannot operate the slide release (most people cannot, I cannot either -- as that thing is a slide stop, not really a slide release)
f) finds LS9 magazines bit too difficult to push rounds into, but doable about 3 - 4 times for a session.
g) Good with everything on PX4, including very pleasant recoil of the PX4, except the 'trigger pull is 'not' a 1911, and not even the glock's'.
h) loves G20 with commercial ammo (nothing hot), but needs to wear a shooting glove as the handle when pushes back during recoil, affects sensitive skin on the palm -- if shooting more than 30 or so rounds, but otherwise skin is ok for shorter training session.

h) finds SIG 938 too unpleasant to shoot. same For a 709 Taurus Slim (similar to Ruger LC9)

The above is just a list of things I would not have been able to predict. I also like the suggestions here of the commander size 9mm or .45 (or .38 super!).
My larger point is that I hope you can use the different suggestions here to narrow down the perimeter of the search, but she will need to try things -- and it may surprise you.

· Registered
187 Posts
Perhaps in your area.......out here in Arizona as lots of places now, women shooters are one of the fastest growing identities.....and thus there are 3 stores that have knowledgable women both showing and discussing as well as teaching women shooters. It is a good thing as women voters often outvote men by number and help keep idiotic gun "control" measures from being adopted. Arizona is unique indeed, however, crazy Eastern seaboard states will eventually catch up. All it takes is a woman who is alone and is unfortunately attacked, but successfully defends herself with a handgun to tell her story of how it could have been way worse.

Until men properly respect women and hold them in the proper esteem they are (most) deserving of....attacks will continue to occur and women should be able to protect themselves. I certainly promote that within my family. My wife totally relaxes at night. when I am home, but actually ends up with a week long sleep disorder when I am gone working.
Attackers attack those who they believe to be weaker. Between that and the fact that predators often have anger towards women, women, regardless of societal esteem levels, will always be a target. As will the frail. Put a gun and some training on as many in those demographics as possible and you implement a whole lot of guesswork in the mind of the predators. Guesswork and uncertainty, not esteem levels, will help to minimize these crimes.

· Registered
684 Posts
One thing that often surprises me is the notion that a slide is too hard to rack, so an easier one must be found. The alternative, and arguably a better one, is to increase finger, hand, and wrist strength.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

· Registered
1,004 Posts
One thing that often surprises me is the notion that a slide is too hard to rack, so an easier one must be found. The alternative, and arguably a better one, is to increase finger, hand, and wrist strength.

My wife complains about that, and I show her all the little gals running full size guns in competition, and also try to demonstrate better technique. But she’s pretty adamant about easy slide racking. I’m hoping the little Smith Airweight I just purchased, loaded with easy loads, will make her happy.

· Registered
302 Posts
My wife complains about that, and I show her all the little gals running full size guns in competition, and also try to demonstrate better technique. But she’s pretty adamant about easy slide racking. I’m hoping the little Smith Airweight I just purchased, loaded with easy loads, will make her happy.

The Airweights only weigh 15oz ... and it's a well built little dude.

She only has to pull the trigger until it stops to kill King Kong.

· THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER
4,076 Posts
Attackers attack those who they believe to be weaker. Between that and the fact that predators often have anger towards women, women, regardless of societal esteem levels, will always be a target. As will the frail. Put a gun and some training on as many in those demographics as possible and you implement a whole lot of guesswork in the mind of the predators. Guesswork and uncertainty, not esteem levels, will help to minimize these crimes.
One of the key reasons that I now carry almost every time I leave the house. While not frail, I am not the "snake eater" I once was and could fend off perhaps one but not more than one assailant. I don't go into "Tiger Country" much anymore, but even at Walmart when with my wife who is a statuesque Black woman, we get some glares here and there(not sure if I am noticing more or they are occurring more)....and as most of you are, am much more invested in taking care of my wife and family than my own old crispy self. I agree that persons who have the predatory instinct are going to go after those they see are weak. All we can do is train and inform. Protect.

· Registered
302 Posts
One of the key reasons that I now carry almost every time I leave the house. While not frail, I am not the "snake eater" I once was and could fend off perhaps one but not more than one assailant. I don't go into "Tiger Country" much anymore, but even at Walmart when with my wife who is a statuesque Black woman, we get some glares here and there(not sure if I am noticing more or they are occurring more)....and as most of you are, am much more invested in taking care of my wife and family than my own old crispy self. I agree that persons who have the predatory instinct are going to go after those they see are weak. All we can do is train and inform. Protect.

Honesty..... that is a very rare virtue in todays world.

Thank you for your honesty.!

-

· Registered
392 Posts
My wife loves her Sig P238. She shoots it very well and can rack the slide easily, but has yet to really get into all aspects of pistol manipulation. She struggles with the thumb safety a bit which worries me. I’m really trying to get her to shoot more and to take a class so she can get comfortable carrying. So far she’s been a bit blasé about it, but last week a woman was randomly attacked about 4 blocks from our house (in a normally sleepy, safe little town), and I think that got my wife’s attention.
Pretty sure there's an aftermarket enlarged safety for the 938/238 series pistols floating around out there. I'd get it, and teach her to ride the safety.

· Registered
392 Posts

I agree, but that's a tall ask. A lot of people want to buy a gun and think that the cost of entry alone will make them safe. We know that's not true but it's still a challenge to get people like that to go actually train. Then throw forearm workouts on top, and you've got an even taller ask that may end up turning away some people altogether.

I hope things go well with the Airweight, but I do cringe a little when I hear about guys buying J frames for their wives/girlfriends/etc. I'm a seasoned, experienced shooter. I can perform very well with most handguns, so long as they fit me properly (my hands are a little small). I can shoot my J frame pretty well. I still hate the thing. Putting a box through it is downright unpleasant.

· Registered
322 Posts
It's a shame that the Browning .380 has been plagued with a few reliability problems that are, apparently, easy to fix, because it's an awesome, easy shooting and accurate gun otherwise.

If someone can't rack the slide on that gun, they can't flush a toilet.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts