Rant Corrupt law enforcement light sentences

Discussion in 'Political Outhouse' started by Sterling Archer, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer Codename Duchess

Aug 30, 2015
    People that know me personally know I have the utmost respect for professional law enforcement. Included in that is an utter distaste for those who violate the profession.

Cop (Andrew Collins) frames innocent man (Jameel McGee) for drug dealing. Innocent man gets 3 years, cop when discovered gets 1.5 years.

Annie Dookman works in a state crime lab and returned suspected drugs sent for testing as all positive. When discovered 22,000 convictions are then overturned. She serves 2.5 years.

Sheriff's Detective Jeffery Green over the course of 6 years doesn't investigate over 50 cases of child rape and sexual abuse, because he was "burnt out." He served no jail time, just a year of probation while collecting his pension of $50k+ a year.

Those who pursue and are then given the responsibility and trust of the community willfully violate it and yet face lighter sentences than the people they help wrongfully convict, or in the case of Detective Green no sentence at all.

How does this not outrage people? Why are these people allowed to ruin/significantly wreck peoples lives with minor consequences? Shouldn't those violating their oath face harsher consequences than the ones they setup/let down? :rage:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    1911fanatic, Alexy, jrj and 4 others like this.
  2. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    I think they should yes.
    Absolutely they should.

3. jrj

jrj Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2016
    I agree. Some people see a badge as a token of power and authority when, in reality, it is a symbol of the trust and confidence the general public has invested in LEO departments. Breaking that trust and confidence should be one of the more serious crimes in our society and is deserving of sentencing much harsher than what is shown here.

4. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    When people sworn to uphold the law break the law , the penalty needs to be severe . Lawyers , judges , prosecutors that break the law should face double sentencing .

1911fanatic and Alexy like this.
  5. Frisco85132

Frisco85132 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Speaking from 27 years behind the badge...agree. At the end of the day, the only thing an officer or other "appointed official of the public trust" can hang their hat on is the integrity with which they did the job. If you violate the law under color of authority, then absolutely the punishment must be commensurately severe and swift.

That being said...if you take the case of a (genuine) severe burnout case, you have to look at the totality of the circumstances. You have to ask "How did command not see it?" and "Why didn't anyone see the signs or question the paperwork or lack of it?". Is the officer actually burnt out and in need of help, or a malingerer marking time until the monthly direct deposit hits? Yes, there MUST be sanctions, but at the same time, there must be help for the officer AND redress to the victims who's trust was violated. A bigger question is then, did the department make it hard for the officer to access help on their own?

In the case of an intentional criminal act...then the fist of an angry god must fall and fall hard.

Departments and agencies are political machines once you get off the street and into the big, comfy offices. Command staffers and desk warmers choose very carefully what they will or will not pursue, often based upon the metric of whether it will further their career, harm their career, or embarrass someone above them who is in a position to elevate them to a higher position. An officer who is burnt out can embarrass the department, or the command grade officer who "failed to adequately supervise and maintain discipline and see to the health and welfare of their subordinates". Embarrassing the department is often the bigger offense.

1911fanatic, Kip and Sterling Archer like this.
  6. Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer Codename Duchess

Aug 30, 2015
    I appreciate the perspective!

7. Alexy

Alexy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Yes this is bad. I'm not black lives matter supporting, but I think police (whom I respect and expect respect back from) who violate their professional code of conduct should face the same consequences as civilians. Some recent police shootings have me thinking that they get away with too much, (many are justified) and the courts always back them.

I wish BLM and other anti cop groups would spend time criticizing actual unjustified shootings and police crimes rather than their stupid PC antics like when they got mad at police for shooting a black guy with a gun, saying the police shouldn't have shot him unless he shot first.

Times are changing. People are getting stupider. Stay with the smart ones. Stay safe and keep fighting for ALL your rights. Not just the ones in immediate danger.

1911fanatic likes this.
  8. Frisco85132

Frisco85132 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2017
    There is a LOT of money in racism. Racism is a business. Just "axe" Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and the titular head of BLM. Creating racism where none existed (Michael Brown, Trayvon Martin, et al) keeps white guilt money flowing in, and money coming in from the poor of communities who can least afford to be bilked and fleeced by the professional race baiters and hucksters.

If, and this is a BIG if 99% of the population truly understood lethal force in both application and the legal justification, then the extreme vast majority of the claims of alleged unjustified use of force would go away, and the true cases would be dealt with much more effectively.

One case in the news which has been called an "execution" and a "murder" is the tragic death of Philando Castile by (former) Officer Jeronimo Janez. Yes, this was a wholly unjustified shooting and it was tragic...but it wasn't an "execution" or a "murder"....however it WAS a negligent homicide by an incompetent officer who was in "bare fear" and a state of panic. I don't believe there was malicious intent, but the extreme level of incompetence demonstrated by Yanez that cost an innocent man his life was most definitely tragic.

Should Yanez have been convicted of manslaughter? Probably (legally)...and to my way of thinking, yes he should have (my own opinion based upon decades of experience). Should he have received a lengthy prison sentence? I am not so sure...but a conviction, lengthy term of probation, loss of his credentials as an officer, and not being able to own/carry a gun along with all the other ramifications of a felony conviction should attend. I say this because Yanez should have been in control of his emotions, and his fear...but I don't believe there was "malice aforethought" in his actions. I base this on seeing the entire video, and the second responding officer who never drew his gun, or made a move to draw his gun, though he was in a position of "presumed visual advantage" and should have been able to see the alleged threat (gun) that Yanez was "in fear of". The only threat the second officer responded to was the incoming fire from Yanez.

Yanez panicked. Castile died tragically.

Darren Wilson and Michael Brown...that was justified use of lethal force by any legal, moral, and realistic metric. We have all read/heard/and opined about it.

An officer in Tucson, who was a friend of mine, and NO I will not use his name here was involved in a shooting in the late 1990s. He was/is a man of great faith, a leader in his church, and one of the most moral, compassionate, and caring men I have ever known. Multiple officers responded to a call in a garbage apartment complex where drugs flowed like water. Both the driver and his girlfriend were armed and one or both went for their guns (depending upon which side of the vehicle the officers were on) and officers opened fire wounding both occupants. I believe the driver subsequently died of his wounds and the female passenger eventually recovered.

My friend stated at the scene that he had not fired. He went home later than night, went to bed, and sat bolt upright a couple of hours later and checked his Hk USP40 and discovered that seven rounds were missing from the magazine. He immediately called the investigating detectives, the supervising lieutenant, and his patrol sergeant and immediately presented himself, and his weapon to superiors.

He eventually was fired for "lying". Okay, he made a statement that was untrue, however, at the time he made it he honestly believed it to be true and once his brain, which was in survival mode trying to protect itself from a horrific incident allowed him to remember...he immediately took all the correct remedial steps. Even though this denial is a well known psychological occurrence in police circles, he was still made a scapegoat in an otherwise justified use of force. ALL the other officers involved were cleared in the shooting.

Should this truly good, and compassionate officer who did everything he could every day to serve his community in the best tradition of the job have been punished? I don't believe so. He should have been helped and returned to duty in a job that he did extremely well. Maybe he should have gone to a different division, in a lower risk assignment profile such as community outreach instead of working a high volume district...but still, he was made a scapegoat by political hacks who needed a sacrifice to the altar of public opinion.

Had he lied and "stuck to it" and tried to cover it up...then lower the boom...no question.

Your thoughts?

1911fanatic and Alexy like this.
  9. Alexy

Alexy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2016
    I have much respect for law enforcement of course. They keep our laws upheld and keeping our crime away.

However I have seen too many get light sentences or no sentences at all for things such as killing people for no apparent reason, or for violating people's rights. If the police have sufficient cause to search you or take you into custody then you should of course comply, but I see them do things they shouldn't and violate people's rights often.

Like I said, law enforcement is good and most police are good and follow the law like they should, however I've seen recently some bad stuff like shootings of people with hands up, and race doesn't seem to matter. I condemn domestic terrorist groups like Black lives matter and Antifa and other anti cop groups because the mission statement for law enforcement is to Serve and Protect, and yes there are bad cops but they are few.

I'd just like to see civil rights become more valued and have bad people put away wether they're cops or not, this is my belief.