close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Couple new projects I thought worth sharing - holster and grips

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by doc.lonestar, Sep 28, 2011.

1. doc.lonestar

doc.lonestar Texas CHL Instructor

Sep 11, 2011
    Hello all.

Had an opportunity to finish up some side projects that I think turned out pretty nice. First what I have been calling the Texas Hybrid for a Commander (shown front and back), and second, a pair of 1911 Shark grips I made for my Commander.

The hybrid and the grips are something new for me. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

The grips were more difficult than anticipated. Guess thats why people are charging an arm and a leg for custom grips. Think this is something that anyone can do that has the time to do it right.

Be safe,
    Doc

Edited for better images - hope this shows more of the grip texture and also the holster better. Thanks all for looking. Be Safe - Doc

shark3.jpg Shark1.jpg shark2.jpg Texas Hybrid 1911 Commander 01.jpg Shark 01.jpg

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  2. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
    As a former resident of Texas, I really REALLY like the Texas shaped leather!!!

3. doc.lonestar

Sep 11, 2011
    Honestly that was a beneficial side effect if you will.

Got done with it and my youngest thought I was being creatively Texan... wish I could have taken credit for what went from mind to paper lol. Just happy it worked out so well.

My youngest named it the Texas Hybrid.

4. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    Love the shark. The shiny tacks are reminiscent of old west gunfighter rigs. No offense, but better photography would help us see your nice work. There are some helpful threads here on the subject. Thanks.

5. doc.lonestar

Sep 11, 2011
    Earlsbud - sometimes I get a little a head of myself with showing. Hope this are of higher quality.

Thanks for looking and be safe,
    Doc

6. doc.lonestar

Sep 11, 2011
    Thought I would share a new holster we put together. Added shark trim for the reinforced mouth and also on the IWB straps. Cilent is sending me his old 1911 grips to attach shark to for a total shark package. Grips are not my thing but have it on good authority that the steps taken during the lamination process are correct.

Funny thing about making things for a living - there is not a lot of sharing on what works and what doesnt. Had to contact a couple of Master Leather Workers and work with them on the grips. Between the 3 of us the steps to laminate the exotic leather to the grips is correct.

Lonestar Tactical Ranger 1911 Shark Trim 2.jpg
    Lonestar Tactical Ranger 1911 Rear View.jpg

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted