1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Banned
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a rule I’m prepared, approaching a point of paranoia, under ordinary circumstances.
That “Murphy” thing; “have it and you’ll never need it, don’t, and you’ll wish you had” thing.

With LE here not responding to any, but the most “important”/dire calls, it reinforces the belief I’ve always held stating; “you are responsible for your own well being, as well as those under your care”.

The mere thought of believing that by dialing 911 during a home invasion, with an expectation I would be saved/rescued by LE is beyond unrealistic, it is an absurd expectation in my opinion.
You might as well tell the 911 dispatch to “please send police quickly, and send a Coroners Wagon for me and my family too”.

That said, has the current, volatile and unpredictable climate caused any to “up their game” in the bedside gun department?

My sole change has been to add a 11.5”, 5.56 “pistol” with 77 gr OTM and WML to the “at hand” pile.
My 9mm Staccato P has been a companion for some time, so no change there.
I’ll add we have no children at home.

5780841A-73C8-4B85-80BE-D33A2120713A.jpeg
7A4F0ED4-1C34-4EB1-A8CC-78CB1C6E237A.jpeg

·
Premium Member
NHC Falcon, SS Heinie and T4 all 45 acp Wilson EDC-X9
5,128 Posts
As a rule I’m prepared, approaching a point of paranoia, under ordinary circumstances.
That “Murphy” thing; “have it and you’ll never need it, don’t, and you’ll wish you had” thing.

With LE here not responding to any, but the most “important”/dire calls, it reinforces the belief I’ve always held stating; “you are responsible for your own well being, as well as those under your care”.

The mere thought of believing that by dialing 911 during a home invasion, with an expectation I would be saved/rescued by LE is beyond unrealistic, it is an absurd expectation in my opinion.
You might as well tell the 911 dispatch to “please send police quickly, and send a Coroners Wagon for me and my family too”.

That said, has the current, volatile and unpredictable climate caused any to “up their game” in the bedside gun department?

My sole change has been to add a 11.5”, 5.56 “pistol” with 77 gr OTM and WML to the “at hand” pile.
My 9mm Staccato P has been a companion for some time, so no change there.
I’ll add we have no children at home.

View attachment 452901 View attachment 452903

Man yeah. Your ready. I love the P.

·
resident crank
1,979 Posts
Not changing what I carry or what’s on the nightstand, but I am in a really quiet area tucked out of the way, and I’m here all day. Plus my son works at the local gun shop and carries the same thing I do, and is living here for now.

So I pity the fool who decides to try and shop at my house.
:cool:

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,043 Posts
No changes here on the nightstand, DW CBOB in 38 super 10+1, but I do live in a gated community with 400 condo's and roving security.

The bad guys picking me is like well, 1 in 400 x like 10,000. Plus I'm on the second floor and I'm sure a ground floor sliding glass door left open on these beautiful Scottsdale nights is the way they would enter.

However, while out and about I'm carrying 2 additional magazines when in the past (I'll admit) I'd grab the go and go many days w/ my 8+1 WC ULCC

0207201610.jpg

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,063 Posts
I have gone from carrying when away to
being armed at all times in the house.
With stuff strategically placed in each level in each
main area of the house.

So no...
I’m not too worried.:rolleyes:

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,043 Posts
With stuff strategically placed in each level in each
main area of the house.
Like a 38 super Easter egg hunt ?

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,063 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,250 Posts
I have added to my 'cocked and locked' and ready to rock inventory. Instead of having two weapons ready, one in my office and one on the night stand. I have four. Plus a 12 gauge loaded with #1 Buckshot and a readily accessible Sig Thread/Strikefire 2 .556 Nato. All placed in strategic areas. Never more than twenty feet from be armed.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I haven’t changed anything, but I live 15 miles from the nearest town, 7 miles from the nearest “community”, and my nearest neighbor is over a half mile away. The gate into my property has been closed for two week, and I have 4 dogs (one is wiener dog). If anyone tries to sneak up on my house...did I mention I have a wiener dog?!? Ain’t nobody sneaking up on my house.

Glock 17 with a Surefire mounted on it on the nightstand, the Colt SteveO built is beside my right now on the couch, and an AR and Benelli close at hand.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
No changes here. I do however live on ten acres located at the end of a mile and a half long dirt road. Since I’m at the end of the road I’m able to gate the road about a hundred yards from my house. Once you get down to the house I have about two acres fenced around the house with two French Mastiffs roaming inside the fence. Four cameras that send motion activated video to my cell phone cover the approaches to the house. I’m always carrying unless I’m in the shower. If I’m lounging around the house in pj’s or sweats I have a North American Arms .22 mag in my waistband. Glock 30s on my side of the bed and .357 revolver on the wife’s side. Shotgun beside the kitchen door. If somebody manages to sneak up on me it’s just my time to go. This was my normal way before the virus.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Nope, I've got 2 1911s cocked and locked, my G45 loaded with a 21 round mag, my M&P15T loaded, and Winchester 1200 loaded and all sitting in my room. People ask me what I'm afraid of and I say not a damn thing! ;)

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I've put more effort into barricading my main doorway at night by putting heavy boxes/items in front of them before I go to bed. Unfortunately, I live in a crappy apartment where I don't have any control over the quality of the doors that separate me from the common hallway (a transitional space). If can choose to do one thing at home, it's going to be to make it harder from them to get in to begin with.

I have always kept a cocked and locked 1911 on the night stand along with spare mags. (I also don't have children.) Maybe I should keep an AR or shotgun out. On the other hand, I've spent the past year shooting my 1911's almost exclusively. In a CQB type scenario, which my sh*t box of an apartment guarantees the fight would be, I feel way more confident with my 45 pistols than I do my AR or shotgun.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
A6684952-D268-434C-BF77-BCB0E55D3495.jpeg
9E09FC0C-B47E-4392-8812-33F934F105AA.jpeg
If you read my prior post you know that I mentioned two French Mastiffs. At the moment they’re not doing a damn thing to help guard the house. Thank god for the cameras.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
No. Although some might call my gun storage before all of this a bit paranoid. Really I just need a bigger safe but I'll have to buy a new house to find a place to put it.

Nightstand gun. BEC poly.
20191117_222302.jpg

Plus one or both of these. CCP WMB and IA See Bob.
20191019_201336.jpg

14.5" BCM and an 870, both with some love, close at hand.
20180825_234442.jpg

Kitchen 686+. Because you need a .357 for cooking bacon.
20170130_234046.jpg

A Beretta in the bathroom. Duh.
20200403_183109.jpg

My first 1911ish, a Sig Target, in the living room.
20191117_223355.jpg

Lastly, my old Single Six by the back door with subsonic .22 for critters.
20200403_183613.jpg

Don't mind the paw prints on the counter. Pops swung by to let his grandson out while I was at work and this is the result. Those two characters together are something else. What I came home to a few months ago. I couldn't not take a pic.
20200403_184254.jpg

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
No changes, here. I have my usual carry j-frame on the headboard and a “tactical shoulder bag” by my bed. It has a G-23 with a 13rd mag in the firearm and three additional 13rd mags and a ten round mag. The old lady has a 92A2 and a Bodyguard 380, on the headboard.

If I get to the basement, I have two G22’s w/WML’s and a G27 ready to go. I also have three AR’s, one of which is my work SBR. There’s also the 590A1, loaded every other one: 00 Buckshot and slug. Eight rounds, there.

I also have my TYR tactical level four plates with loaded AR mags, a Protech full coverage tac vest, and two concealable vests.

The whole time I can be giving the responding LE play by play, on the radio.
If they get through that, I guess I’ll start jamming mags.

Two of the kids sleep downstairs. I’ve started working on them with a response, but they aren’t to a level they can be responding armed, on their own, yet.

I’ve always considered the greatest threat being LE in a small town with a patrol car out front and vehicles that don’t fit in my garage and a long list of bad guys I’ve put in prison and jail. I feel safer with the virus as there’s slightly less activity to monitor, around the house.

·
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
2,509 Posts
Dang gaijin! Feel for the fool that breaks into your place!
I'm still using what I have been. But I did install a Streamlight on it this morning. KSG 12 gauge. Mini buck shot in one tube 2 3/4 in the other. 21 shells.
20200403_214909.jpg

1 - 20 of 74 Posts