Crash Course in Tig Welding

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Integrity Arms, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    I know there is a lot to know and a lot of do's and don'ts when it comes to tig welding.. Especially intricate welds or very small welds.. But, thanks to @WWB and @Babboonbobo I was able to find out yesterday that I, with a great deal of practice will be able at some point to weld.. I started with not so good luck, I was told years ago when I tried it a time or two that I would be able to probably get good at it, but didn't put much effort into it.. Well yesterday our very own Babboonbobo had me up to his house for a few lessons..

By the time I left I was able to run an alright bead and two passes on a 1/8 piece of steel plate on the edge.. And to mine and I believe Bobo's surprise I might add lol as the first several efforts were not so great.. But, Mr. Bob is a good teacher, we went and got some other tungestens and a little larger holder and bingo, after just a few tries I was able to get it going..

WWB sent me this 110 unused tig welder several months ago and told me to try it out. Somebody should get some use out of it.. Well it took me awhile to get around to it. But, I bought the gas and needed supplies. I'm obviously no pro, but I think with a good deal more practice I might be able to get the hang of this.. The one thing that kind of tripped us both up was starting the arc, no foot pedal just a knob and it said to get about 1/8" away from the part and it would start. Well that wasn't the case the part had to be tapped and the tip pulled away, and once the both of us figured out how to do that, we found the welder to be quite capable of what it needs to do.. So, just another journey and still learning new things at 54 years old. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I may now see if there is an option to add a foot pedal to this model so I have some control over the arc..

Thanks again Mr. Bob enjoyed the lessons, the good food and as usual the company, Thank Mrs. Bob for me again and I hope we can get together again soon.. If I ever learn how to get to your place So far I know there is more than 3 ways to get there lol.

2. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    You are very welcome good sir! It was a good day:)

3. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    Nobody documented this outing with pictures :(

4. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    No unfortunately we were just using some scrap plates of metal, I have a few scrap frames and when I make a few passes on those successfully, I'll post some pics.. I was too busy trying not to blow up Mr. Bob's garage to take pics lol.. But, hey everyone has to start somewhere.

5. David R

David R Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    Touch the tungsten to the work and roll it off using the cup.

You NEED a foot pedal to do work with some finesse.

TIG. Has the most heat control.

Enjoy,
    David

6. sigmanx

sigmanx Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2016
    Tig is by far my favorite. Went for a weld test for a welding position recently and had to test 2G tig on half inch steel plate. Had to get used to a push button style real quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wcanterbury likes this.
  7. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    That's exactly how we had to do it going to be looking for a foot pedal though

8. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    A foot pedal control is almost a must when trying to do very fine work. But what Steve has will work for now. I hope you can just add one to the welder you have but the larger tungsten definitely made starting easier.
    I wish you the best of luck and just practice dude!

PS: thank you for not burning my garage down! I got the island wired up and started putting the cabinets in and trimming them out. Still a long way to go on this project:cry:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    wcanterbury, FWoo45 and Steve Owens like this.
  9. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Good News, the cabinets and electrical.. Hopefully you get some good quality work done.. I am so struggling since I can't do much in the way of really physical stuff anymore, thus sitting down to weld yesterday instead of bending over. But, it seems everytime I get someone to do something and pay them, I end up redoing it. My nephew comes over here bragging about what quality work he does in construction, comes to my house charges me to put up a snow fence 2 weeks ago, and it's already falling down. So, now I have to go and redo it. On top of that I paid him to do it, when my wife babysits for them for free very frequently. I knew I should of just done it myself to start with. lol

10. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Oh btw @Babboonbobo you know what I need for that foot pedal didn't you say it would have to have some sort of adapter built in to it to work with the hand control piece? Can you look and see if you can help me locate one please?

wcanterbury likes this.
  11. notshawn54

notshawn54 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2016
    I have 110V Miller that I added a pedal to. Made a world of difference.

12. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Unfortunately it looks as if the company that made this welder might be out of business and the adapter plugs might be proprietary.. Or I need some sort of adapter, all the foot pedals I am seeing is 2-3 pin plug ins.

wcanterbury likes this.
  13. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Did you have to buy another adapter. With the torch that is on this it has the gas line and the electrode line together and one end in the gas valve other into the machine. Or do you have a link to the one you added? This is a sidekick says by freedomalloys which appears to no longer be in business.

wcanterbury likes this.
  14. David R

David R Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    It’s possible to tig without a pedal, but for finesse it makes sense. TIG has the most heat control.

Sigmanx must have been a lot of passes.

3 wires should be easy to make a foot pedal. Make and model please? Maybe a pic of the plug? I am sure we could build one. It’s just a potentiometer.

You could go to Welding Web and find out there, or I will do it for you.

David

15. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Yes which is very much a plus on frame rails, beavertail tangs etc..

wcanterbury likes this.
  16. notshawn54

notshawn54 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2016
    wcanterbury likes this.
  17. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Mine doesn't have any pin plug ins.. The plug ins that are on the machine just push in and twist have a tab on them kind of like a barrel bushing.. So, coming out of the torch attachment it just has the gas hook up and the power hook up, so I imagine I would have to take the power plug in and run it through the foot pedal and then to the machine..

wcanterbury likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted