close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Crazy carry question

Discussion in '1911 Carry' started by PeaceKeeper, Sep 8, 2011.

1. PeaceKeeper

PeaceKeeper Member

Aug 29, 2011
    I normally carry a Kel-tec P32, S&W J frame or a Glock 23, depends on what and where I am. My question is about my new Kimber Pro CDP II and the carry condition to keep it in. I bought what is basically a belly bag, but it hangs over the shoulder and looks more like a camera bag, to carry my new pistol in. I also have a Don Hume IWB holster my son gave me to use. My question is, if you were to be carrying a 1911 in a belly bag what condition would you keep it in. I feel a little funny carrying it in condition 1, 3 seems real safe but slow and not sure about 2. If I were to carry it in condition 2 with the hammer on half cock is that safe? Racking the slide after drawing seems to be a bit slow even though that is how the Israelis train I believe.

2. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Avoid Condition 2 with 1911s. This encompasses both hammer-down and half-cock.

Condition 1 or Condition 3.

If the gun's flopping around loosely in the bag, and it's not in a holster that's securely attached to the interior walls of the bag, I'd say Condition 3. I'd get a second opinion, though, because I've never carried a gun that way.

Andy

3. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    I would carry it condition 1 because it doesn't look like there are any objects in the bag (keep them out). Also, the trigger guard is covered and it looks pretty secure. If you're nervous or uneasy about it, carry it cocked and locked, but without a round in the chamber for a few days. See if the hammer ever drops.

After you're confident it won't drop, procede to carry condition 1.

CallmeIsh, PaulM, SCS1911 and 2 others like this.
  4. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Good photos.

That looks fairly secure. I'd recommend Condition 1, in that case. (Pun intended.) :lol:

Andy

ZoidMeister likes this.
  5. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    if it's not flopping around, then yes C1.

Sterling Archer likes this.
  6. PeaceKeeper

PeaceKeeper Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. I think this bag will work out good for me, I can toss it over my shoulder and head out real quick. To me it does not scream gun like a belly bag, I like stealth carries if possible. He is my backpack, not too stealth, but it carries well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. eng208

eng208 New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Looks good to me for Condition 1. It is in a holster device in the bag. Just don't store other items in the same compartment.
    As far as the backpack, don't put other items in the compartments with the guns, and hope you don't get checked by the Police. They may not like what is in your bag.:eek: No laws against it if you are properly licensed and legal in your state, however, if police do a reasonable suspicion stop for something else and the bag comes into question, it will probably open a bad case of police brutality on you. Just the whole guns in a backpack stigma.

I have the same thing but mine is in a dedicated rifle case backpack, but it IS camouflaged in US Marine Corps camo, so really noone can see it.:rolleyes2::nod:

8. KillStick

KillStick Lovin Life

Aug 17, 2011
    I would feel alright about condition 1, ask hokie how he does it.

9. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    Condition one, never condition two. Too dangerous..

10. JimmieRay

JimmieRay New Member

Oct 10, 2011
    What is dangerous about condition 2? You must be referring to lowering hammer with a round in the chamber. If you are careful I dont see that as a big deal. Am I missing something here?

11. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    Yeah, the part about lowering the hammer on a live round... It's not only a bad idea, it's a bad habit, and a negligent discharge waiting to happen. It's not IF, it's WHEN, because it WILL happen eventually. I'm not trying to be an a$$ about it, just tellin' it like it is. I want everyone to be safe, and have all their body parts that they got here with. I'm sure the people around you will appreciate it too.

As for how to carry; in a bag like that, if it's held securely, I'd go condition 1, just don't add anything to the bag that could potentially come in contact with the trigger.

Oh, and that loaded back pack is freakin' sweet!

ZoidMeister and Lostdiver71 like this.
  12. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash Member

Sep 11, 2011
    This. And in condition 2 the hammer is resting against the firing pin, which is mere millimeters away from a live round. One wrong bump and you are having a bad day.

13. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Carrying condition 2 with a 1911 is foolish at best. You can rationalize all you want at the end of the day, you still should ride the short bus.

/thread.

Lostdiver71 likes this.
  14. JimmieRay

JimmieRay New Member

Oct 10, 2011
    I may be wrong here but I disagree that one wrong bump while in condition 2 will result in a discharge. I believe I could drop my Kimber Ultra CDP 11 LG from the top of my house on concrete and it isnt going off in condition 2. I am not comfortable carrying in condition 1, but I do carry that way some times. You guys know more than I do so am I wrong here?

15. dirty barrel

dirty barrel ( . Y . )

Oct 30, 2011
    Your Kimber has a firing pin block.

16. dirty barrel

dirty barrel ( . Y . )

Oct 30, 2011
    This ^^^^^^^ If you are going to carry a 1911 it should be in Condition 1. If you aren't comfortable with that then you should look at a DA/SA pistol. HK comes to mind.

BuckyP likes this.
  17. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    My most of my 1911s are always in Condition 1. The only exception is if in cleaning them or is in a middle of a project. Or if it's the 22lr, and that's just a range gun that's never in C1.

18. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    If it's out of the safe, my 1911 is in condition 1.
    No children in the house so a loaded firearm on the night stand is GTG.

rod442 likes this.
  19. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    +1 :thumb:

DAT85

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted