Creating a Colt “Sleeper”

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by retrieverman, Nov 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. retrieverman

retrieverman Well-Known Member

May 16, 2013
    After putting a few hundred rounds through my new to me/old Colt, I think I’m ready to have a kind of “sleeper” 1911 created, but I still haven’t decided exactly what to do and would appreciate imput.
    This old Colt is pretty nice for its age (appears to be original finish), so I don’t really want to alter the outward appearance but would like to “slick up” the internals and lighten the trigger a bit.
    The gun functions perfect, but I still changed out all the springs and mainspring housing from arched to flat. The sight had already been changed at some point.

What do the experts say about this idea?
    [​IMG]

samuse, ORShooter, salelcid and 4 others like this.
  2. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Accuracy and reliability job, fit and tune new extractor and ejector, and one for spare. Custom fit barrel bushing, and oversize fps. Possibly a disco cut.. new ignition set. with TR trigger job.. Should fit your definition of a sleeper pretty well.

cgff, simonp, mikemac and 4 others like this.

3. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    No expert but I say get a hold of @Joe C, @Jason Burton, @lsbbigdog. Any of these guys can take it to the next level. Or the top level. The MSH appears to be flat from your pic. Sweet old Colt

retrieverman likes this.
  4. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Those guys won't make it a sleeper though. @Steve Owens damn good guy turning out some damn nice work. Just not yet as established. Not paying for the name if you will.

cgff, ACPMAN, mikemac and 3 others like this.
  5. retrieverman

May 16, 2013
    Yes, I did change the MSH from arched to flat.

I greatly appreciate the input.

6. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    I did fail to mention a kart barrel, of course that is an option depending on budget...

simonp and UBOATDOC like this.
  7. EvolutionArmory

EvolutionArmory Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    3A5BB2E5-841A-4949-80B2-865FE67E3B8E.jpeg

The basics. Modern sights, thicker slide stops to enhance lock up, barrel bushing work and new Harrison TR ignition kits. These also got undercut trigger guards and front serrations, Harrison retro thumb safeties, carry bevels and lowered and flared ports.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    Lineman1982, wobblie, Eric and 28 others like this.
  8. Au Jus in Bello

Au Jus in Bello Well-Known Member

May 19, 2017
    Why not?

retrieverman likes this.
  9. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    Do you like the feel with the FMSH & short trigger? I change the
    arched MSH & trigger to the FMSH & long trigger this fits me better.
    To each their own, just curious.

retrieverman likes this.
  10. retrieverman

May 16, 2013
    The flat mainspring housing and short trigger fit me well. I put another hundred plus rounds through the gun this afternoon, and though I like it as is, I’m getting pretty excited to see what it can become.:thumbs:

11. AJP

AJP Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2017
    Oh my, those are the business! I am going need a series 70 done up like that in the not too distant future.

Steve Owens and retrieverman like this.
  12. lsbbigdog

lsbbigdog Smiffin' ain't easy

Aug 21, 2011
  13. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    Steve Owens and retrieverman like this.
  14. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    No, I'd say that's more of a I'll bust a cap in your @$$ kinda gun lol ;) Great work for sure, love the conceal beavertail and retro hammer together though. I don't know though a lot of retro there for sure.

UBOATDOC, retrieverman and FWoo45 like this.
  15. theJanitor

theJanitor Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2014
    [​IMG]

Vickers built colt S.80. this gun was a true sleeper. Welded up barrel, welded thumb safety for just a little more surface area (i think Ken Hackathorn got a couple of these as well), great trigger, perfect dehorning, lightly modified ejection port, fitted, MSH, etc.

It was a true sleeper. So much so, that when it hit my FFL, they thought I got taken for a ride. Then they took it out to the lanes and shot it and were astouned by the smooth recoil and crazy accuracy. They still talk about this gun. HAHA!!

Larry, later went ahead and gave it the full treatment, with Pete Single checkering, beavertail, Larry's own ignition kit, etc.

sr-1911, hks1911, KS95B40 and 15 others like this.
  16. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    Love that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

retrieverman likes this.
  17. IANative

IANative Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2013
    I think those are gorgeous.

45ACP_ray and retrieverman like this.
  18. retrieverman

May 16, 2013
    I’d like to thank those who replied and let y’all know that I’m sending my old Colt to Steve Owens to do the work. I’ve owned some pretty nice guns over the years, but I’ve never had one professionally tricked out before and am excited to see how it turns out.:thumbs:

Lineman1982, cgff, UBOATDOC and 7 others like this.
  19. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    Can hardly wait to see the end result! Good luck and congrats. TW

retrieverman and WhoIsJohnGalt? like this.
  20. BennyAdeline

BennyAdeline Official Hi-Point Brand Representative

Nov 26, 2018
    Recently picked up a series 80 govt and am interested in the sleeper route. Cosmetic work is tempting, and I talked to Steve about some, but this thread makes me want to keep the original looks and have it be a beast under the hood.

WhoIsJohnGalt? and retrieverman like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted