1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Yes they do. I live close to three of the best 1911 smiths currently working. They have been a huge help to me in answering questions and looking over my work. We have spent many hours discussing build philosophies, barrel fit, hand checkering , machine work and Cerakote.

My advice to you is to find a smith close enough to drive to. Build a relationship with that smith. Have them go over your work.

Notice I said build a relationship first. Do not just be a taker and suck up their time.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
I tend to be a loner and sometimes that has its disadvantages.
I do all my work by myself but at some point there are learning times on 1911s that have to be done face to face. Before the internet or a couple books I would have never been able to get to where I’m at on building 1911s without standing in a gunsmith shop for hours on end as an apprentice. The internet has definitely cut the learning curve down but there are still times that that one on one time with the gunsmith at his bench cannot be replaced.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks again for your advice and for taking the time to offer it, definitely helps.
Also I came across your thread where you showed your build that’s pictured in your profile .
That is one beautiful build you crafted, I love it!!!! Would you mind telling me more about it? I’d love to hear and see more for sure. I’d be willing to send you my email if you’d rather have that otherwise, just let me know.
The JEM slide ordered along with the frame was ordered with the rmr cut as I’ve wanted to try one so figured I would with this 10mm build. Almost wish I’d gone the double stack now, I’m really intrigued by what you came up with, very impressive!!!!}
Excellent job sir, thanks again.
Here is a link to the full build thread. Let me know if you have any other questions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts