Cross Draw Holsters

Discussion in '1911 Carry' started by GaryWWhite, Feb 13, 2019.

1. GaryWWhite

GaryWWhite Member

Apr 22, 2016
    Please give me your input on the use of Cross Draw holsters for CC and EDC. I don't know if I made a mistake ordering one of these. I talked to the maker and he said he could make the holster fit tight against me. The only printing concerns would be grip pointing forward? Your thoughts on this please.
    Gary

2. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    I have one I wear when driving.
    That's really the only time I've carried that way. Sorry I can't be of much help for how it works as an EDC.

3. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Cons....

a. if you aren't real careful, when you draw - you will sweep the area with muzzle from 9 O'Clock to 12 O'Clock as you draw ...or your feet .../ neither of which is good.

b. It may work sitting ( in veh or at a desk ) depending on how your seat belt fits you in your veh...or your chair at a desk... / IWB strong side works better in both situations for me personally. Seat belt is an issue in my SUV....and I have less room in general between my seat & door on weak side.

Pro's ...( I can't think of any ...)

WHEELS likes this.
  4. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    I wear one now because it's more comfortable while driving , wallet is in rh hip pocket , keys in rh front pocket , knife at 3 o'clock . An Askin's Avenger RH worn as a cross draw works well for me . It's winter now so printing 's not an issue . Personally I think people are so oblivious that a little printing is not an issue . Another thing that works real well in the winter is a holster put in the inside chest pocket of a good winter coat such as a Carhart .

PewPewPtwang and WHEELS like this.
  5. Caeserslegion

Caeserslegion Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I'm having one built for me, to hold the little G43. I tried to get it made as close to horizontal as possible, to wear under a light weight dress vest. I can't wait to see it.... from Paul @Warbird Leather.

limbkiller, ORShooter and WHEELS like this.
  6. LPRoad

LPRoad Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 16, 2015
    I like them for driving and/or open edc. I prefer 4 o'clock carry for CC. I have a Garrett holster set up crossdraw for my CCO and Nixon crossdraw for my Kimber 357.

limbkiller likes this.
  7. Jimhoag

Jimhoag In Kentucky

Jun 14, 2013
    I remember reading a article on cross draw holsters be Elmer Keith. He called them widow makers. Police detectives carrying cross draw. First reaction if someone reaches for you gun is th step back. Now you just helped draw your gun. When I drive I stick pistol inside my pants in a crossdraw position.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted