1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

Looking to hear from folks with lots of experience shooting both; excluding the widespread magazine problems, and the occasional very bad apple STI sometimes put out and from a more general point of view.... which Era seems to you to have the better overall quality when comparing the two?

Talking about as close to direct comparison as possible, such as the Staccato P and the STI Tactical 4.0 for example...

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I’ve got a staccato P and STI tactical 4.0 with about similar amount of rounds. Both seem to be similar in build quality, accuracy and reliability to me. Aside from the noted magazine issues, I haven’t had any issues with either of them.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I've owned a number of both. I've had zero issue w/ the 2019 and beyond Staccatos, and prefer some of their features/offerings over the old. I don't think there's been a drop in quality, and by that I mean functional quality. The biggest difference btwn then and now is the larger lineup of models and the nicer factory options on the mid-to-late teens STI's. There was an almost even mix of Competitive and Tactical/Defensive models, plus some special offerings and Shot Show Specials thrown in. ES grips were standard on many models, different finishes and barrel coatings, etc., all included in the base prices. That is all gone in the name of standardization, efficiency and the bottom line... along w/ the preferred (almost revered) STI name.

But I'm just as happy w/ my Staccatos as I was w/ my STI's from a performance and reliability standpoint. My 2¢

·
Registered
215 Posts
Looks like they shoot pretty well:

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
along w/ the preferred (almost revered) STI name.
initially I too was a little butthurt about the name change but I've come to see it as a rather smart decision. The hard facts are STI was most associated with unreliable gaming guns with exorbitantly expensive magazines that needed tuning, cracked slides, and venereal disease.

Even with all the progress Staccato has made, people still bring up STI horror stories as to why they won't try a 2011 again.

I hate change as much as the next guy, but for them to move forward, the name had to go

·
Registered
215 Posts
initially I too was a little butthurt about the name change but I've come to see it as a rather smart decision. The hard facts are STI was most associated with unreliable gaming guns with exorbitantly expensive magazines that needed tuning, cracked slides, and venereal disease.

Even with all the progress Staccato has made, people still bring up STI horror stories as to why they won't try a 2011 again.

I hate change as much as the next guy, but for them to move forward, the name had to go
I don't argue that a change in name was needed. I'm just not sure Staccato is a good fit. What does a musical note have to do with 2011 pistols?

·
Registered
961 Posts
There was a video- I think maybe it was on one of Staccato's live feeds on Facebook- where Tony Pignato explained the meaning behind choosing the name Staccato. I'm not on FB anymore, so someone else will have to dig it up if so inclined.

·
Registered
215 Posts
There was a video- I think maybe it was on one of Staccato's live feeds on Facebook- where Tony Pignato explained the meaning behind choosing the name Staccato. I'm not on FB anymore, so someone else will have to dig it up if so inclined.
I'm not on FB. Never have been.

Can you paraphrase?

·
Registered
79 Posts
All of my STIs have had better slide to frame fit, the grips are better blended and are smoother overall. The P and C2s didn’t last very long in my house and were significantly worse for recoil and trigger fell compared to any STI. The XL and XC will give the STIs a run for their money on recoil and trigger feel - but cost 50%+ more money.

The STI trojan I have - which was their budget gun back in the day has as good or better fitment to the Staccatos - however the finish on it is spotty and very thin, whereas all the new Staccato products have had excellent finishes (even then P / C2).

·
Registered
215 Posts
All of my STIs have had better slide to frame fit, the grips are better blended and are smoother overall. The P and C2s didn’t last very long in my house and were significantly worse for recoil and trigger fell compared to any STI. The XL and XC will give the STIs a run for their money on recoil and trigger feel - but cost 50%+ more money.

The STI trojan I have - which was their budget gun back in the day has as good or better fitment to the Staccatos - however the finish on it is spotty and very thin, whereas all the new Staccato products have had excellent finishes (even then P / C2).

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've owned a number of both. I've had zero issue w/ the 2019 and beyond Staccatos, and prefer some of their features/offerings over the old. I don't think there's been a drop in quality, and by that I mean functional quality. The biggest difference btwn then and now is the larger lineup of models and the nicer factory options on the mid-to-late teens STI's. There was an almost even mix of Competitive and Tactical/Defensive models, plus some special offerings and Shot Show Specials thrown in. ES grips were standard on many models, different finishes and barrel coatings, etc., all included in the base prices. That is all gone in the name of standardization, efficiency and the bottom line... along w/ the preferred (almost revered) STI name.

But I'm just as happy w/ my Staccatos as I was w/ my STI's from a performance and reliability standpoint. My 2¢
Yeah this company has quite a history. STI seemed to really like introducing and then rapidly discontinuing new models frequently and almost frenetically. The DVC family had a lot of fans... and on the other hand despite some of the best press money could but, the Hextac models had machining and workmanship a hi-point would be ashamed of. The renaming and the refocus of the lineup was the first thing they did that made sense to me in a long time... this is of course not to say these moves were well-executed in themselves IMHO.

Looks like they shoot pretty well:

I have too much experience in Marketing and Brand consultation to ever take anything any press has to say about anything seriously. It's no mystery why a magazine featuring a glowing review of a certain product also always has prominent and repeated ads for that same product in the same issue or release.

Yeah I could never quite figure out how a company with such an abysmal track record in terms of reliability and quality control was so insanely popular and well-loved by the shooting populace. Nevertheless, there's more than a few quite popular names in the sporting pistol world today who would not exist were it not for STI

See now we have two very different stances among respondents here. Prior to 2018, I had seen / held / shot only 3 STI's. One was a nice gun. The other two were a freakin mess and I could not believe a company selling pistols for any price could have let them past the QC dept and sent them out to be sold. The one Staccato I've owned so far was very decent in terms of overall build quality.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts