Custom Manurhin MR73 by Dave Laubert (Defensive Creations)

Discussion in 'Revolvers' started by cundiff5535, Jul 14, 2020.

1. cundiff5535

cundiff5535 Chambers Custom Owners Club

Apr 1, 2013
    First, before I get into this, apologies for the long post.

Around a year ago I posted a MR73 revo I snagged off GB in the group. The MR73 was a police trade in that looked a bit rough on the outside, but mechanically was in perfect working order! At the time, I was really excited to get it, but I knew it was only a matter of time before it went off to someone to get some special treatment. Once I got the gun and made my mind up that I was going to get work done on it, I called several friends and asked who they thought I should sent it to. Four names came up right away... Ted Yost, Karl Beining, Dave Laubert, and Brandan Bunker.

Because I am friends with Brandan (and know his work well), I called him first... he told he he was not doing any work on anything other than 1911's these days and that he just didnt have time. I knew if I bugged him enough, he would likely do it, but... why not call the others on the short list and see how the experience would go.

Second, I called Ted. Ted flat out told me he had no desire to work on an MR73 and currently he was only working on Smiths (and maybe Colts if I remember correctly). Either way, Ted said no but did recommend Karls work.

From there I called Karl and we spoke for around 30 mins. He was a real gentleman and we had a nice conversation about the MR73. During the chat, he told me the turn around time would be a bit longer than I wanted to wait. I told him I was going to call Dave and chat with him and make a decision from there.

Last on the list... Dave Laubert. I had never heard of Dave Laubert until I got to listen to him on a Primary and Secondary Modcast. From there his name kept coming up so I decided to really look at what he was doing. At the time, he had just finished up the two gun revo set "spinny twins" which I thought were lights out:). I had heard guys like Steve Fisher talk about Daves 1911 work. My chat with Dave was fantastic... He may be one of the nicest dudes Ive ever spoke to (for real). I could tell his revo build philosophy was different than Karls, and he had me intrigued. I asked about wait time, and initially it was much much faster than what Karl told me.

From my chats, I knew if I went with Karl, the revo would be stellar... A spin on a classic revolver, refined to the last detail! I knew Karl would take the thing, do his magic, have it re-engraved, and have the thing looking better than ever. With Dave, I figured the some of the finer detail might get lost, but it would be as if someone took a classic and made it into a modern day fighting weapon... a straight hot rod! Like 69 Camero with a 2020 Corvette ZR1 engine in it.

Whether the above is 100% true, this was what I took away.

Ultimately, I decided to go with Dave... literally it was a total coin flip... So, I sent the revo to dave and thought I was headed into a project with a 90 day turn around. As with all custom work times get messed up, things happen in life, and 90 days turns into a year:). Oh well... Its the way it is in custom guns:)

So thats the back story.

Once I sent the gun to Dave, I told him my vision of the gun and then said, other than the initial thoughts, do your thing, just keep me looped in! It seemed like he was pretty much excited to get into the project and he definitely brought me in on the details as he was going (which was awesome). Because I am a very very meticulous person, I often times expect perfection when it comes to my guns. I am always very upfront about this... and either the smith tells me that he's probably not the guy to do the work (which tells me I don't want him doing the work), or he assures me he will be making sure there are no short cuts taken.

The guidelines I gave Dave were as follows: New rear sight, Gold Front sight, trigger work, adn for him to do whatever the hell he wanted to it! I told him that I wanted his spin on a full blown modern day fighting revo... and that exactly what he did! Some of work done is below:
    • Remove and shorten barrel from 4" to 3" and resinstall
    • Crown Barrel
    • Slab Side Barrel
    • Machine to accept new front sight
    • Make new front sight, Serrate, and install 14k .080 gold bead
    • Machine receiver to accept one off custom rear sight
    • Make new rear sight
    • Chamfer charging holes
    • Full trigger work
    • Case Color hammer and trigger
    • Remove all roll marks from gun
    • Complete polish on flats and matte blast rounds
    • Nitre Blue screws

As you will see from the pictures, Dave started a rear sight on the revo... He asked me what I thought. I was very honest and told him I was hoping he could fill in the old channel that was used for the rear sight. He told me he didnt think so... and literally the next day he said he liked the idea and worked his magic.

From there he started his work and as you can see from the pics, he sent me a ton of progress shots! I was very impressed and happy that he did as I wanted to share:)

So, here you all go... The original gun, the progress pics, and the final product (when I get the revo back this week, Ill post more close up pics). Would love to hear everyones feedback!

Original gun:
    1.jpg
    View attachment 541509 3.jpg 4.jpg 7.jpg

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    KS95B40, xerts1191, Geoff and 3 others like this.
  2. cundiff5535

Apr 1, 2013
    In progress pictures

1.jpg 1a.jpg 2.jpg 2a.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

xerts1191, Geoff, Kip and 3 others like this.

3. cundiff5535

Apr 1, 2013
  4. cundiff5535

Apr 1, 2013
    19.jpg 20.jpg 21.jpg 22.jpg 23.jpg 24.jpg 25.jpg 26.jpg 27.jpg 28.jpg

Steve B, SCS1911, limbkiller and 6 others like this.
  5. cundiff5535

Apr 1, 2013
  6. cundiff5535

Apr 1, 2013
    Finished gun!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg

soar3r, TJC357, Steve B and 19 others like this.
  7. cundiff5535

Apr 1, 2013
  8. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    This is absolutely stunning! Congratulations sir. Too much awesomeness with this gun. Dave knocked this out of the park.

blamo, Geoff, colrhino and 1 other person like this.
  9. Plasman

Plasman Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Nov 22, 2014
    Night and Day! Great job.

blamo, cundiff5535 and colrhino like this.
  10. Mike Meints

Mike Meints Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    Fantastic !!

colrhino likes this.
  11. Greg M.

Greg M. Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 6, 2020
    I haven’t ever been a big revolver guy but those Blue Nitre screws and pins with the case colored trigger and hammer look awesome.

FWoo45, cundiff5535 and colrhino like this.
  12. Geoff

Geoff Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2016
    Great photos, fantastic revolver. Dave really did a wonderful job. Thanks for sharing the experience.

cundiff5535 likes this.
  13. blamo

blamo Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2018
    Congratulations on a beautiful transformation. I've dreamed of doing something like that with one of the suruplus MR73s and yours is a total stunner.

cundiff5535 likes this.
  14. cundiff5535

Apr 1, 2013
    I can’t say enough about Dave Laubert! As mentioned in my OP, the guy is so nice... willing to listen and go in any direction. I’ve dealt with many of the top smiths in the biz and Dave ranks right up there in terms of client relationship and craftsmanship.

ronin11, FWoo45, colrhino and 2 others like this.
  15. asiparks

asiparks Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Holy *%^$ !!!
    Thats absolutely stunning- what a magnificent result !

I have an old trade in MR73, I don't know whether to send it to Dave or bury it's shame in a paper bag somewhere in my yard...

mlea5150, cundiff5535 and colrhino like this.
  16. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    Awesome gun! I wonder what rich police departments were issuing that gun.

FWoo45 and blamo like this.
  17. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    Mine was allegedly from the Vienna PD.

FWoo45 likes this.
  18. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    I guess most are from overseas departments?

19. Karl Beining

Karl Beining Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 8, 2015
    That turned out great, and I am glad you gave Dave the nod, that may be the prettiest Revolver he has done to date!

FWoo45, mlea5150 and cundiff5535 like this.
  20. cundiff5535

Apr 1, 2013
    I have not seen a revo that he has done that I personally think look better than this one!

Cheers brother...

FWoo45, mlea5150 and Karl Beining like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted