Custom Run Ideas Wanted.......

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by TheWichitaGunClub, Jul 3, 2020.

1. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    Do these & take my order.

2. jaydoc

jaydoc i'm riding a turtle!

Aug 10, 2012
    Government
    High polish Blue over hard chrome
    I know it’s been done and redone. But that is because it is classic and classy

Old Sea Dragon likes this.

3. hpguru

hpguru Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2017
    +1911. No logo

4. Rick McC.

Rick McC. Well-Known Member

May 3, 2013
    Well; I damn sure wouldn’t have anything to do with a tacticool one with a threaded barrel...

5. Rick McC.

Rick McC. Well-Known Member

May 3, 2013
    I don’t have a problem with the logo of the shop that commissioned the work, and think that’s reasonable.

6. cgff

cgff Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2015
    ^This^

With a special serial #

limbkiller and Old Rooster like this.
  7. River runner

River runner Well-Known Member

May 4, 2020
    I agree, a logo would be ok if kept small and behind the rear cocking serrations. A classic government model would also be my first choice. I imagine this forum’s members are a bit biased that direction, even the younger members like myself.

Rick McC. and Old Rooster like this.
  8. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Tastefully done just rear of the cocking serrations ejection port side.. Is pretty classy imo..

Oh and according to my books and many others 38 super is making a big splash everywhere. Not just in this forum.. It's making a strong run right now, 90% of what I have currently in my shop with books closed is 38 super.. One 10mm and the rest are .45.. However you might want to consider a 1/2 of a run of each. 38 super and .45 still some die hard 45er's out there. (myself included).. I don't know what your budget or price point is but checkering, is a must, A high ride btgs a good set of sights and the rest is just icing on the cake imo.. Blued or DLC would both be hot according to budget again.. Decently polished slide flats at the least.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  9. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    Count me in here

blamo and TheWichitaGunClub like this.
  10. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    The custom Serialized frames is a good idea imo for the collaboration recognition..

Cop_Out, FWoo45 and dstallguy like this.
  11. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    @Integrity Arms

I wonder if Wilson and Ed Brown exiting the 38 super game has lead people to independent smiths.

Although ACW, GI and NH are still building 38 superb'

Old Rooster likes this.
  12. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
  13. Trashyshoots

Trashyshoots Active Member

Apr 3, 2020
    I think a real nice M1911A1 would be sweet. Minimal rollmarks, gold bead front sight, nice double diamond grips, but with a really deep polished blue on it.

14. swampgas

swampgas Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 10, 2019
    Logo on the recoil spring plug, right on the end of it. Government model along the lines of the Colt Gunsite. Make fancy grips an add on up charge. Naked slide but with a French border and some treatment/machining on the slide top. Flush cut barrel crowned. Front site options, I can't see those danged gold dots, upcharge. I would like to see that..Nitride finish.

JM44 and ZoidMeister like this.
  15. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Consensus, we don't need no stinking consensus . . . . .

As long as it has an ACW logo behind the cocking serrations, don't matter much how it's configured . . .

Pandora's box.jpeg

16. TheWichitaGunClub

TheWichitaGunClub Well-Known Member Sponsor

Nov 25, 2016
    I love all the feedback...

The custom serial number is a great idea, perfect.

Happy 4th Of July everyone....Keep the ideas and opinions coming....

@TheCollector and @Dwe I had counted on taking your money already. Thank you for confirming your early orders.....haha:thumbs:

17. farmer

farmer Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Jess: I hope I don't ramble, but here it goes. There are a LOT of cool 1911's and cool pistols out there. You don't want it to be "just another one" but it's going to be impossible to come up with something that has not been done to some extent before. So what I vote for is this. At least don't compete with any other type pistol out there. Don't make it "tacticool". Don't go for total practicality. Make it for the die hard, old school 1911 crowd and make it ONE WAY. Otherwise, you're Nighthawk, Wilson and whoever, who can make anything a guy (gal) wants. The niche I see is old school custom with touches that make it special. I love the Classic Supergrade that I recently bought from you with baron blue. It's an old school gun that, in my opinion, surpasses what the original smiths were able to do. I know guys will argue this, but it's not the point. Anyway, here's how I'd spec it out:

Government size, all steel .45
    Blued, flat except for polished slide flats. The best bluing available. Turnbull?
    Fitted KART barrel, or BarSto, or whatever is best these days as opposed to in house barrel from the builder. Gives it a separation from their other guns. And, it's old school.
    your logo under grips, no doubt about that.
    Sights. deep sunk Bomar or equivalent adjustable, gold dot front. No night sights.
    Single side safety, no ambi. No oversized controls.
    Mag well, but very small one.
    Solid trigger, medium length. 4 1/2lb. this is a defense / combat gun.
    Fit and finish need to be knockout excellent.
    The rest of the gun, don't overdo. Frontstrap / backstrap checkered. Rear of slide plain. Top of barrel serrated, but barely. Do not coat the barrel hood. No french border, no ball cuts, none of that. Theme of the gun is old school, beautiful custom but modern CNC frame / slide, expertly fitted and tuned for total reliability. If it could talk, it would say "I know I have class and I may be reasonably pretty, but I am here to save your ass!"

Just me, but that's my kind of 1911.

Pete

additional note: when I said slide barely serrated, I mean not too deep. Not too much steel removed in the process. Also, don't know what it's called, but slide slightly rounded between sides an top. Not left square. For mags, my vote goes to Metalform or Tripp

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Rizzo, TheWichitaGunClub and gps man like this.
  18. longrange2

longrange2 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 14, 2015
    I would love to see a government model with clean classic lines and subtle tasteful custom touches. Thinking something along the lines of a Jim Garthwaite or Steve Nastoff Custom government model.

gps man and TheWichitaGunClub like this.
  19. farmer

farmer Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2013
    I forgot to add:
    Subtle reverse crown on barrel, flush to bushing. Has to have undercut trigger guard. Critical that slide / frame / barrel / bushing fit is excellent.

The gun HAS TO BE shot in while in the white.......

Don't name it. Just put your logo under the grips and use whatever serial number. But if you have to name it, call it the "Pete's Special"......

On second thought.........don't name it !

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    gps man and TheWichitaGunClub like this.
  20. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy Cranky old curmudgeon

Jul 28, 2017
    Understated elegance. Specialized serial numbers. Your logo under the grip panels.
    Gov't Sized although I'm a commander kind of guy. Ball cuts don't really scream look at me. Lightly polished rounds and flats for a hot salt blue that is just a bit above a satin. Vertical charging serrations, rear only. Standard concealed carry size BTGS. I like rowel hammers. No memory bump on the grip safety. Thumb safety extended for practical use, but no sharp edges. Thick flange barrel bushing, smooth front spring plug. Lightly chamfered edges for carry.
    .45ACP or 38 Super would appear to be the better options on caliber. Offer options for sights. Some like fiber optic and black U notch for the rear. Offer trigger length options. I know these options mean pre-sale orders. Offer three tuned magazines with the firearm.
    If you want to get really fancy, special order some belt scabbard holsters and magazine carriers that are numbered to the gun with your logo discreetly embossed.
    These thoughts are worth exactly what they cost you.

TheWichitaGunClub and gps man like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted