Custom Run Ideas Wanted.......

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by TheWichitaGunClub, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Rick McC.

Rick McC. Well-Known Member

May 3, 2013
    Lots of good suggestions, but I still don’t believe that you need to hide your trademark under a grip panel.

As far as my preferences; Commander sized, blued finish so it’ll show honest wear, .45acp and 9mm caliber (the purists don’t like 9mm, but it’s probably currently the hottest selling 1911 caliber), fixed Novak rear sight, gold bead front sight, smaller sized beavertail and hammer for carry, medium length blued smooth faced trigger, smooth oil finished nicely figured walnut stocks, One piece MSH/magwell, flush cut reverse crown barrel, 25lpi front strap and MSH checkering, no ambi or extended TS or SS, Commander sized guide rod and recoil spring plug (no FLGR), all edges machine beveled, and no FCS.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    River runner and Eric like this.
  2. Old Rooster

Old Rooster Active Member

May 17, 2020
    Good question. Nicely put together Supers seen to command a bit of a premium, even the Colts that are blinged to hell and gone. Classic understated quality, as a lot of the folks on this thread are noting, would seem the way to fly.

3. Adam13

Adam13 Active Member

Jun 27, 2020
    As someone who has and buys both.
    I prefer the 1911 to be more true to form.

I have many “tactical” pistols. I went towards the 1911 more for the heritage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Jess,
    I would think you would know what is "hot" in the 1911 marketplace better than any of us. I believe it was obvious what kind of answer you would get from this forum - classic 1911. However, I would go a different direction. Not a tacticool pistol, but a modern iteration of a fighting 1911. 4" bull barrel with a flush cut reverse crown, full size grip with a hand blended Stan Chen "drop in" magwell, under cut trigger guard and a small carry beavertail. Single sided safety, flush cut slide stop, low serrated fixed ledge rear sight with rear slide serrations, white ball front sight, large rear and front cocking serrations, 25 lpi checkered front strap and MSH, lightly flat top the slide with several serrations and a crisp 4 pound trigger. A custom WGC serial number would be the most tasteful way to identify the gun with your shop. G10 grips because this is a fighting gun, not BBQ bling. Finish it in DLC. Because its a serious gun .38 Super would be the best caliber. Use an aluminum frame because its meant to be carried.
    I'm picturing an upscale Dan Wesson TCP without the rail, but with classic lines.
    If I had such a gun built it would be in 9mm with either a buried adjustable rear sight or, God forbid, a red dot. Can't wait to see what you come up with.
    Jeff

cgff and Adam13 like this.
  5. Adam13

Adam13 Active Member

Jun 27, 2020
    Very good answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cgff likes this.
  6. Jcord

Jcord Active Member

Oct 21, 2018
    Commander size, non-tactical, basic blue finish, 9mm or 10mm and shop logos only if they are hidden. I personally don’t mind them but I don’t want to limit my customer field if I ever sold it. I love the classic colt commander look with all the internal refinements of modern technology.

7. KnightNight

KnightNight New Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Modern tactical lined 1911. Commander, ambi safety. Something like the NH Agent, Tri-cut or the Ed Brown FX series. IOS, but no threaded barrel.

8. dhearth

dhearth New Member

Mar 25, 2020
    sorry you asked yet?

Old Sea Dragon likes this.
  9. puddi_nugget

puddi_nugget Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2014
    Review your sales data to identify what type of high end 1911s flew off the shelves fastest!

Personal taste changes greatly on what we think the ideal 1911 is. Bottom line, a gorgeous 1911 is a gorgeous 1911. Does not matter if it is tactical or classic. Most folks here will buy a 1911 for how well it is executed versus certain feature sets on a high end 1911.

Some general assumptions:
    - Most gun owners don’t have a suppressor.
    - Most shooters will prefer less recoil if possible.
    - Most shooters prefer reliable pistols.

These may help drive decisions on a particular format for a 1911.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted