custom slides?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by tahunua001, Nov 7, 2011.

1. tahunua001

tahunua001 perty mouthed redneck

Nov 7, 2011
    hello all.
    time for the newbies first stupid question. I really have my heart set on a ruger SR1911 but I am not a fan of stainless. I'm usually not a fan of two tones either but that Talo SR1911 is a real beauty. the only problem is they seem to add about $300-400 just for a blackened slide and different set of ruger grips. so my question is,
    does anyone just make custom slides? if they do, is the price manageable or do I just have to suck it up and wait for ruger to make a black/two tone model?

1911 grips tend to be a little too small for my liking so I was also intending to throw a set of black hogue grips.

2. Dumbell2

Dumbell2 Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Easier just to get the original slide coated. Fitting is a big part of the 1911 experience. Slides can't just be swapped out. Slide are fitted to frames and barrels are fitted to slides etc.

3. lsbbigdog

lsbbigdog Smiffin' ain't easy Sponsor

Aug 21, 2011
    $80 to Cerakote + return shipping.

4. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

AlchemyCustomWeaponry Crabby Old Gunsmith

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, just get the slide Ion bonded.

5. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

AlchemyCustomWeaponry Crabby Old Gunsmith

Nov 4, 2011
    or Cerakoted, I guess. LoL. We were posting simultaneously.

6. lsbbigdog

Aug 21, 2011
    LOL. Ya Talo Sr1911 are Cerakoted. Prob a way shorter wait for Cerakote. IB definitely harder.

7. tahunua001

Nov 7, 2011
    interesting, I'm learning new stuff already. I was under the impression that there wasn't anything you could do to refinish stainless. so what exactly is cerakote and are there any advantages of cerakote over plain brushed stainless or is it purely for looks?

8. EdS

EdS Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Stainless can be blackened chemically like black satin bluing... depends on what sort of finish you like, as each method has a different appearance.

9. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    If you wait a couple weeks, I can sell you some magic parts, genuine SR-1911 blued finish. You just plant them in a window box, and nurture them, you can have your own SR1911 bush!

Really!

:lol:

10. lsbbigdog

Aug 21, 2011
    http://www.nicindustries.com/firearm_coatings.php

11. tahunua001

Nov 7, 2011
    ahhh...so cerakote= good shtuff...

12. John

John Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 7, 2011
    Cerakote is good stuff. I would not hesitate to send a slide to Business End Customs (for Cerakoteing? for Cerakoting? to get Cerakoted?).

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted