close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Custom Specification Nighthawk Custom Talon II

Discussion in '1911 Photo Gallery' started by JonInWA, Sep 19, 2011.

Tags:
  1. JonInWA

JonInWA New Member

Sep 15, 2011
    I had the consumate pleasure of being able to work with Nighthawk Custom on designing my own Talon II, Nighthawk's execution of the Combat Commander.

My goal was to have a modernized operating system, but with somewhat of a retro-look. Accordingly, I specified:

-A Vickers-Yam long trigger, devoid of lightening holes, with an internal overtravel screw;

-An Ed Brown arched and grooved mainspring housing;

-A Berryhill Commander Ring Hammer;

-No front slide serrations;

-A shortened slide stop axle, with the frame bevelled at its exit point;

-No extended magwell, but with internal beveling at receiver magazine insertion points;

-VZ Canvas Blasted Gray/Black grips;

-Barrel muzzle crowned and flush with bushing

-Novak night sights, with rear sight being Novak's .140 wide notch aperture;

-Overall Sniper Gray PermaKote ceramic finish (including slide, receiver, barrel, bushing, recoil spring plug, hammer, slide release, safety lever and grip safety, providing a matte utilitarian finish similar in appearence to gray parkerization, but with greater protectiveness and lubricosity

-Nighthawk Custom's proprietiary eight round stainless steel magazines, with low-profile metal slam pads;

-All other Talon II standard features (i.e, 25 LPI frontstrap checkering (which actually came out to a finer 30 or 35 LPI), 40 LPI rear slide checkering, slide top serrations, Nighthawk Custom memory bump grip safety, Nighthawk Custom extended safety, Nighthawk Custom/Greider slide release, etc).

This gun has been a joy to carry and shoot. Accuracy is exceptional. I am using it primarily with Check-Mate Industries' 8 round stainless steel hybrid feed lip magazines, mostly in their welded baseplate incarnation; the carry magazine is flush, with no additional basepad (for a slightly diminished carry profile), and the reload magazines have short/medium screw-on polymer basepads for a more secure reload.

The gun is normally carried in a Blade-Tech kydex IWB holster; draws and reholstering impact and rub points account for the visible wear at the high points to the PermaKote finish-that's simply life, and I figure that it adds an earned patina of "character" to the gun. Alternative holsters include a Nighthawk Custom belt slide, and an Orca nylon IWB. Spare magazines are carried in a Wilderness Double Ugly magazine pouch.

Enjoy! Best, Jon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Beretta & Hockey Fanatic

Aug 18, 2011
    AWESOME gun, dude!

3. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Nice gun! Congrats!

4. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    That is a damn beauty you got there!

5. Dumbell2

Dumbell2 Member

Sep 7, 2011
  6. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Nice!

Damn that slide stop is recessed deeep!

7. JonInWA

JonInWA New Member

Sep 15, 2011
    I'll have to say that was initially a concern of mine-but when I checked, there certainly seems to be enough metal left to support it. There have been no problems to date (both regarding any structural weaknesses or difficulty in disassembly due to the axle shortening/depth of the frame bevel)-and if any arise, there's Nighthawk Custom's excellent warranty and customer service.

Best, Jon

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  8. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Looks good! Agreed, I saw that slide stop nub and thought, "Wow, that's really been shortened." Glad to hear it hasn't been a problem so far, though.

I wonder how many lines per inch that fronstrap checkering is. I agree, Jon, it does look a lot finer than 25 lpi.

Andy

9. thecableguy

thecableguy I hate this addiction Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2011
    She is a beauty. Congrats.

10. bac1023

bac1023 1911 Collector Moderator

Aug 15, 2011
    Looks great

Congrats! :cool:

11. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    Jon, another big fan of NHC pistols, and you have a wonderful example there :thumb: I have a nicely built Dominator by them. It's been flawless since day 1 and I'd buy another in a heartbeat without any hesitation whatsoever. Mine is finished as you would expect for a well built 1911, though I have the diamond black slide and a hard chromed frame. The trigger came in as a 4lb-6oz very crisp break and virtually no take-up noticed, one of the nicest triggers I shot with out of the box. It was my first full size 1911 so accuracy was way better than I am at this point. It seems that many nice examples of the 1911 are popping up lately, and wish that I had the time and $$'s to own some of these examples. For now I'm just stayin focused on the ones that I currently own, and that's basically just a very few. In your description of your build did you request the slide stop to have that particular bevel or is it just standard? I looked at my NH and it seems that mine is similar to the second T3 they have pictured here. Mine was primarily done from the aesthetic point and I just wanted a very streamlined look on the frame. Don't know if I would ever put any kind of laser grip on it but it would not inhibit the beam if I did in fact install a pair. Enjoy your NH, it's a beauty!
    [​IMG]

12. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    Well done.
    Nicely speced out.

13. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Very nice. :thumb:

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted