Customer service comparison

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by BigT_Franklin, Jul 10, 2017.

1. BigT_Franklin

BigT_Franklin Awesome Member

Feb 2, 2017
    While scrolling threads I found that many people compare build quality, attention to detail and craftsmanship of various manufactures but very few talk about or compare the customer service of the companies and thought that this would be a good topic to discuss with all of you. So, of the major "semi-custom" 1911 builders (Nighthawk, Wilson, Ed Brown, Les Baer, Guncrafter, etc...) who do you think has the best customer service and why? Please share any experiences you may have had (good OR bad).

2. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    Nighthawk Custom's service is superb. Bob Reeves has been available on a holiday weekend when the shop was closed; I found that hugely impressive.

BigT_Franklin, GoetzTalon and boatdoc like this.

3. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    I find that Nighthawk and Wilson provide great CS period.

I find that the others are good but do not go the extra mile like NHC and WC do to assure customer loyalty

personally I favor WC these days due to the guidance offered when ordering, and the reliability of their guns not to mention the feel in my hands
    JMHO

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    BigT_Franklin likes this.
  4. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    I agree with the results for Nighthawk service. They are superb and do go the extra mile..

5. BigT_Franklin

Feb 2, 2017
    How have they gone the extra mile for you guys? S big reason why I ask is that I have had a couple of bad experiences with Wilson Combat that have left such a bad tase in my mouth thag I will probably never go back to them again. My best friend was diagnosed with a very rare form of cancer about two years ago when he was 40. He was the police chief of the first police department I ever worked for. When he was the Sgt./senior firearms instructor he had convinced the city to pirchase every single officer a Wilson Combat CQB Tactical LE for their duty weapons (I believe the order was a total of 24 pistols). When we held a benefit to help him, his wife and son cover the growing medical expences I had reached out and called Wilson, explained the situation, that he had hand picked the pistols for his officers, and I had asked them if they would be willing and able to donate anything to be places in the live auction, silent auction or raffle. They told me to send them an email with the specifics and they would get back to me. I then sent them everything they had asked me for but I never got a response. I then attempted to follow up with them several times but never got a response from them. I even reached out to Lary Vickers, because of his close relationship with WC, but didn't hear back from him either. After my friend's benefit I told him that I had reached out to WC but that they had just ignored me. He was so upset that WC didn't even send a t-shirt!!! He told me that he would not be buying anymore of his officers Wilsons, that he should have listened to me and purchased Nighthawks instead of Wilsons, and that he would be phasing out the Wilsons and replacing them with Nighthawks. He had told me that he had asked his sales rep if WC could throw in a hat or something when he had placed the original order but that he was told that they don't do that. My best friend lost his 2 year battle with cancer back in November but the way that Wilson blew us off still upsets me. Hopefully our experiences were the exception and not the norm. I am now the senior firearms instructor for my police department and have been tasked with the job of picking out a new duty weapon for all of our officers to be issued. I'm willing to bet that you all can guess which manufacture won't be on my list of options.....

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    Jimhoag likes this.
  6. Stentor

Stentor NRA Life Member Supporting Addict

Sep 21, 2015
    Sorry to hear about your friend's battle with cancer.

I had an issue with my NH Bob Marvel and Bob Reeves/NH were extremely responsive and took care of the issue promptly (and kept me apprised along the way).

Additionally, correspondence I've had with NH on other items has been very good (professional and prompt).

7. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    sorry to hear o f your loss

On a personal level, I have had a few issues (minor ) with my NHC guns and Bob Reeves(per usual) was right there to work with me and when one needed to go back, he made sure to get it in the shop asap and tried the gun HIMSELF!!! No Matter what the issue, Bob is there to address it and try to help if he can. Thankfully ,only one issue required Bobs in hous e help.

I have had no issues with WC either. I get great service and fast responses. It is truly sad to hear that afte r buying 24 guns , they would not send a cap or a t shirt or something to be auctioned off for the benefit on their promoter( your friend). I believe(using retail sales prices) that the EDCX9 alone is bringing in between 2.5 and 3.5 million dollars this year. Surely a t shirt or hat or other gear could have been sent to a supporting customer.someone dropped the ball (?).
    the bad publicity ( that happens when something like this occurs) will cost them .It saddens me

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    Jimhoag and BigT_Franklin like this.
  8. LPRoad

LPRoad Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 16, 2015
    I feel like this thread is a 2 edged sword. Lots of props for Nighthawk's CS, but it seems like a fair number of people having to use it. I kinda prefer my pistols to run right when I get them.

9. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    Would first ask how many of the issues are functional and how many are aesthetic. Guessing people are paying a lot closer attention to aesthetic details on the higher priced pistols. Hell, half the time I see people posting things about their new pistol in regards to an issue it's some minor thing that I would have never noticed myself. Never.
    But, yeah, it's the Tommy Boy syndrome- you want a guarantee or a warranty?

Jimhoag and BigT_Franklin like this.
  10. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    I don't have the money to test out Wilson's waranty or the bad luck to test Guncrafter's. I guess I don't have much to add here. I have heard many amazing accounts regarding Nighthawk. So far my GI is perfect and so are my DW's. The only brand I e had any issues with were Kimber and SIG (non 1911). So, never mind. I'm just here for the info.

Raven312, boatdoc and BigT_Franklin like this.
  11. LPRoad

LPRoad Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 16, 2015
    Good point. I am willing to pay more $ for 3 reasons. Better accuracy, better reliability/durability, and pride in ownership. For ME, returning a firearm is a giant PITA. I understand the rub, the more guns you crank out the door, the more money you make. Anyway, if you ARE going to let stuff slip past quality control, it is good to have great CS to keep things running.

boatdoc and BigT_Franklin like this.
  12. BigT_Franklin

Feb 2, 2017
    I read a comment on a thread last night from a gentleman that owns 7 Wilsons and 4 Nighthawks. He said that 6 of his Wilsons (one being a supergrade) had flaws or issues and had needed to be sent back to be "corrected" (one of them was the front sight had not been installed properly. He said that 2 of his Nighthawks had flaws but that they were only minor cosmetics. He said that both companies were great about fixing the issues though. That being said, his experience would suggest to opposite. His Wilsons need to use the warranty and his Nighthawks ran better out of the box.

13. Ethanol Red

Jul 12, 2015
    I will overlook a slight cosmetic issue. Some won't. To me function is everything when it comes to warranty work, barring a gross mistake in quality.

14. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    Never sent any of mine back for cosmetic issues..

SCS1911, boatdoc and BigT_Franklin like this.
  15. Ethanol Red

Jul 12, 2015
    Agreed. I will do everything in my power to NOT return a gun. Just a real pain.

16. BigT_Franklin

Feb 2, 2017
    I agree. Its gonna get used and abused anyway!

LPRoad and Ethanol Red like this.
  17. Ethanol Red

Jul 12, 2015
    Yes. I don't have any super safe queens though. I have a few decent guns, but none are 10K things. I guess if I payed for perfection I'd want more. ? I dunno. I feel nuts for paying what I already did. My guns will end up with wear if I can help it. A gun not shot is a travesty to me.

Spokes and BigT_Franklin like this.
  18. BigT_Franklin

Feb 2, 2017
    Would you buy a Ferrari and never drive it because you were too afraid of getting a scratch on it.....? NO WAY!!! I'd drive the hell out of it! Lol

Spokes and Ethanol Red like this.
  19. Oldag

Oldag Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Guncrafter has outstanding CS.

Had bought a GI from an individual. Called GI with a couple of questions, among them asked about the cost to have a flush cut slide stop replaced with a normal slide stop. Some time later, sent the GI in to have it checked over. Did not mention the slide stop. They remembered I had asked, and swapped out the slide stop at no charge without being asked. Quick turnaround as well.

Now that is great CS.

EXFI, lfromsalem, ronin11 and 4 others like this.
  20. stlgecko

stlgecko Gecko Lives Matter

May 24, 2014
    I don't think any of the top players have bad customer service. I've had to use it with WC, NH and Guncrafter and all of those experiences were positive. The most negative reports I hear are from Baer owners, but I had a positive experience with them too.

I do wish all of these companies put out a more consistent product off the shelf. More QC and less CS needed.

cwoods, Raven312, LPRoad and 3 others like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted