1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Student of the Columbian Exchange
7,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cowboy-coyote.jpg

Saddled & bridled, booted & polluted leaving for NRA Whittington New Mexico as soon as I finish my coffee. For those of you headed for that high chaparral country I'll see you there this week.

@limbkiller if you change your mind and find yourself at the Albuquerque airport, all you got to do is call and I'll haul.

cbcc2f78ff8.jpg

·
7,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dateline East of the Continental Divide & West of the Pecos (Grant NM):

Actually stayed in the motel last night; the wind blew and the sh!t flew; 15F & light snowing this a.m. tuck more newspapers under your coat and keep going. We're 1911Addicts aint we.

Saw a horrendous car wreck on the other side of the highway yesterday, with my odometer the traffic was stacked up 3.8 miles behind this

P1040241.JPG

Here's a lousy car picture of a double rainbow that ended up looking like a reflection off the window, another reason way I'm not a fan of pictures from cars while getting coffee

P1040256.JPG

·
Livin Large
1,872 Posts
Well Ma Nature didn't really "cut loose". Maybe just a lady like toot.
Never went much of anywhere to hunt, fish, etc that the locals didn't say....."You should have been here last week" . The really good thing about weather is that it is totally dependable. It happens every day.. with out fail. Just a skiff at Whittington 40 miles east of here and 1000 ft lower. Spoda be in the mid high 50ºs by Wednesday. If you had been here last week you would have missed this splendor.

We're Addicts ain't we?

·
7,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Grounds keeping crew, Cimarron Inn & RV Park, Cimarron, NM

P1040274.JPG

P1040276.JPG

State 58 into Cimarron, with the right machine you could have serious fun straightening out the curves and curving out the straights, little to no traffic, twenty miles of heel and toe and flat out go

P1040273.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Excellent pictures. Looks like a great time. God speed. From your first picture. A funny story a cowboy many years ago, roped a bobcat in MT. Thought it was funny, until the bob cat came right up the end of the rope. Needles to say he undalied right away. Told to me from my mentor

·
7,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One of the whacky things I always do when I travel somewhere is check out the cemetery as it can tell you a lot about a place.

P1010398.JPG

Sometimes they can surprise you in that they get ready for Halloween way ahead of time

Other times they show you how hard a life them before us have lived; here a family lost four of their babies in a string. My Momma had a similar experience having my older sister, then lost three babies inside a year of their birth, but bonus-ed out having my older brother and me. These families had to be tougher than we know to endure this miserable hand they were dealt.

P1010391.JPG

P1010390.JPG

P1010389.JPG

P1010388.JPG

P1010399.JPG

P1010382.JPG

P1010377.JPG

P1010379.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Super WOW. You are going to bring that GTO home, right. If I were to move south, that is the place. Heading and healing cut out is nice also

·
7,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First volunteer arrives after a rough ride down along the spine of the Rocky Mountains, crossing 11,000 foot passes on that two lane black top, pushing down against up drafts and going with that back end slide through them ice covered sweeps, shooting dice on the black ice, safe and far from home:

P1010431.JPG

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,311 Posts
somebody needs to save that goat (GTO)

·
7,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally wcanterbury & nmbuzz rope the stump

P1010433.JPG

Light rain, low cloud ceiling, entrance, you stop at the toll booth, I said hells bells and went for an annual pass, $30

P1010434.JPG

Once you clear the toll you go onto a well maintained graded dirt road

P1010439.JPG

You got a lot of choices at Whittington, here's some

P1010441.JPG

You can rent housing on site, here's some

P1010437.JPG

one of the ranges from afar

P1010435.JPG

This is a rearward view of the entrance, the toll house, museum, reseach center, etc.

P1040311.JPG

wcanterbury whacking steel silhouettes out to 150 yards with a CZ 452 Trainer

P1040312.JPG

P1040309.JPG

nmbuzz jacking about with a S&W 15-22 and knocking down all them steel targets, we ended up shooting 45acp & .22 RF handguns but they wont let me take pictures, they said to wait till the sun came out. I will say nmbuzz was knocking down 50 yard chickens with that 45, one for each bullet in his magazine.

·
7,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They call New Mexico the Land of Enchantment, I call it the home on the range where the buffalo roam and the deer and the antelope play, I took these pictures today

P1040289.JPG

Breakfast chow line

P1040290.JPG

P1040318.JPG

P1040316.JPG

You don't often see a picture of a deer with her mouth open

P1040342.JPG

Pronghorn antelope AKA Speed Goat the fastest land animal in North America

P1040346.JPG

Going home tonight I saw a bigger buck stuck inside the fence of the roadway, Pronghorns, fast as the are, up to 70 mph, can't jump or leap fences, they got to crawl under them, I didn't stop to take a picture as that guy was stressing out big time,

P1040347.JPG

Halfway between Cimarron and Whittington is this necessary.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts