1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys. I've seen several posts that reference cutting the slide stop to make it easier to insert and avoid the idiot scratch.

Is this work something that has to be done with access to the complete pistol, or can a slide stop be sent in without the gun?

Who does this work, and what does it typically cost? I have a few 1911's that I wouldn't mind doing it for, but shipping guns back and forth for something somewhat minor is expensive.

Thanks!

·
Registered
537 Posts
My Colt Defender, purchased used, has a very slight idiot scratch. Not noticeable enough to do anything about it.

I worried slightly about idiot-scratching my 1911's. Turned out I need not have worried. Providing one exercises care in removing and re-installing the slide stop lever, it really shouldn't be an issue.

I suppose that's why it's called an "idiot scratch" ;)

Now for the obligatory knock on wood :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey, guys. I've seen several posts that reference cutting the slide stop to make it easier to insert and avoid the idiot scratch.

Is this work something that has to be done with access to the complete pistol, or can a slide stop be sent in without the gun?

Who does this work, and what does it typically cost? I have a few 1911's that I wouldn't mind doing it for, but shipping guns back and forth for something somewhat minor is expensive.

Thanks!
A small round swiss file and 5 minutes can take care of this, It's an easy mod that doesn't take a whole lot of talent. Idiot Scratch Proof
tt

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Well it makes it much easier to install the slide release but it wont prevent someone from dragging the slide release all over the frame from the trigger on up and scratching the piss out of it.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I was inserting slide stops long before that mod came around and I never created an idiot scratch. Don't drop the slide stop so low dragging it up the frame. Just push it in relatively level and then let the lobe drop just below the plunger pin. Then push up and in. The mod is nice, but it's not necessary.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Taken apart hundreds and hundreds of times. Not one idiot scratch---just have to learn the right way to do it is all.

Reactions: philk and FWoo45

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
As noted above Sir. This is a very simple task for you to tackle yourself. Trying to figure out why my slide stop wouldn’t snap in is how I found this place.
As was stated, a file, round is probably better but I used a small triangular one and it also works nicely.

Tableware Kitchen utensil Cutlery Gas Tool

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I appreciate everyone’s input. It’s more an item of convenience for me as I have several 1911’s each with some sort of semi proprietary finish. It would be nice if the slide stop would just snap in but I can continue using a credit card. I have a dremel and files but I am reluctant to start cutting away on a high end gun’s matching slide stop as it would be next to impossible to replace with one that matched perfectly. I was hoping to send out just the slide stop and have it done and mailed back to me. I guess I will contact Nighthawk or Rock River and see what they would charge me. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts