• Yes build it

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • No keep it stock

Votes: 3 21.4%
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

· Super Moderator
25,659 Posts
From CZ;
We are only producing the 1,000 we planned, and not making any more.
Christopher Watson
Sales Assistant
800-955-4486 x 354
fax: 913-321-2251

So with only 1000 made and
with no plans at this time to return to production.
Do I keep it stock and hope the value goes up or use it as a base gun for a build like I had planned when I bought it?
I'm asking you addicts for your opinions.

· Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,923 Posts
The CZ was a limited run of 1000.
Now gone with no plans at this time to return to production.
So do I keep it stock and hope the value goes up or use it as a base gun for a build like I had planned when I bought it?
I'm asking you addicts for your opinions.
Pics so we can evaluate . . .

Nevermind, I found the other thread . . . .

Reactions: 38

· Pulling my hair.
35,835 Posts
As everyone has said you will be dead before it really increases in value. From all I have read it seems to be a very well built base gun that will make a great build. Make it a one of a kind and put your personal touches on it through one of the many talented smiths on this site. Looking forward to what you decide to do and the final gun pics. ;)

· Registered
8,389 Posts
On the CZCustom site , they have a nicely worked 1911A!. But it falls short , way short, of the incredible work the professional 'smiths on this forum have shown us to be possible. I also have one of the CZs, #55 to be exact, and also don't know how to proceed. In fact Wheels and I have been discussing this in PM. I don't really need another "custom" 1911, although ya can't have too many, I suppose. I have really enjoyed shooting mine as an A1, and it saves my old Remington-Rand. Truthfully, I hadn't shot the old Rand more than a couple dozen rounds in several years. Typically if someone had never fired a real American GI pistol, we would pop a few thru the Rand. Then a fastidious cleaning and back to the safe. For me the CZ, while surely not an identical clone of the USGI pistols, fills the need for a shooter grade 1911A1. Wait my Rand IS shooter grade. Oh well, I like the CZ as is, but having one for a base gun is a good way to go. They are a fine built gun. Good parts and good fitment. Can't go wrong.

· Super Moderator
25,659 Posts
Well it looks like build it is leading 80% to 20% over keep it stock.
Now someone gave me a link to a post on some other site that says to keep it stock.

I've left this up to addicts on here that I trust not someone on another site that I'm not a member of.

Here is some of the content...

I already know. They made a fantastic firearm then pretty much left us in the lurch. Normally I wouldn't care because I can fix it myself using aftermarket parts, but now that they're going to become rare (and possibly valuable) in the coming years I was hoping to keep mine 100% original. Like someone said, the complete dearth of replacement parts is a huge problem. They couldn't even replace the defective thumb safety on mine and simply quick-fixed it instead. I think they had a great thing going with this pistol, but apparently it must have cost too much to make at the price point so they gave up on it. Something to keep in mind the next time somebody complains that the $850 Colt Series 70 is "overpriced for what you get"

When asked he responded...

It's really hard to say. To become collectible there has to be a large demand for them that outstrips the available supply. If they somehow develop a mystique as a rare example of a modern, retro-style 1911 then they may start going up in value. If not, they'll simply vanish into obscurity except for those times when somebody posts on a forum "I've got this 1911 that says "CZ 1911 A1" on it. When were they made and how much is mine worth?"

· Eddie Van Halen
7,345 Posts
It's really hard to say. To become collectible there has to be a large demand for them that outstrips the available supply. If they somehow develop a mystique as a rare example of a modern, retro-style 1911 then they may start going up in value.
There's the answer. They won't.

The fact that Dan Wesson and CZ are ine in the same is why this gat got so much attention. Folks have been pleased with DW quality, and assumed the CX branded model would be just as good. Well, numerous buyers have complained of bad finishes, poorly fit thumb safeties, etc. Sure, they may have been expecting too much at a $700 price point, but when it is supposedly being built by the DW folks, the quality was expected to be unmatched.

Have it done your way, and never loose a minute of sleep worried about whether or not you ruined a future collectible.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.