1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a CZ A01 SD recently and love the gun. Had a straight trigger put in it and it shoots great--except when ammo would not chamber and the slide would jam. Heck even some of my first 9mm reloads did it. Jammed tight too.

I onc e had this issue with a 1911 and the gunsmith who made it opened up the chamber to accept all kind s of ammo. So I emailed CZ custom 3 x=zero response.

Then I called the gunsmith @ CZ custom who had a message to email him. =ZERO response, zero contact zero help

I KNOW that this kind of CZ has a tight chamber.
without them opening it for me, I have to find brands like blazer brass or S+B--when available or reload ammo with a OAL of 1.146 or so to get the gun to work.

Just thought I would warn others. CZ customs guns rock however they offer ZERO customer support

Reactions: Zippy and Cbzr1107

·
старая каза
577 Posts
My first CZ Custom pistol was a Bull Shadow 2 that I purchased, unfired, from a fellow addict. The first time I took it to the range, the slide was binding so badly with the frame that after five rounds I had to hit it with a rubber mallet to free it up. I loaded another mag with 10 rounds and the same thing: the slide literally froze-shut after five rounds. Called CZ Custom. They claimed I, "didn't know how to shoot one of their builds" and that they would NOT honor the warranty because I wasn't the original owner. Thank goodness the addict I purchased it from offered to buy it back from me. You'd think I would've learned my lesson about dealing with CZ Custom but, I didn't.

Three months later, I purchased a new Bull Shadow SP-01. During its first range trip, the extractor went flying after 8 rounds of factory ammo, Called CZ Custom again. Got their voice mail. Sent an e-mail to follow-up my voice-mail. No response after three days so I called them again and got the same BS: it was somehow my fault but, they were willing to fix it under warranty. Shipped the pistol to CZ Custom and got it back about two weeks later. Went back to the range for the second time and after 56 rounds, the rear sight was so loose, it was ready to fall off the slide. Removed the screw, added a couple drops of lock-tite and re-tightened the rear sights. Went back to the range a third time. It was working pretty good and then I noticed that the front sight had worked itself loose after 103 rounds. LOL I didn't bother calling CZ Custom again, though. Had a friend fix the front sight and then I sold it with full disclosure to an LGS for about a $400 loss. Lesson finally learned.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Thankfully, my experience with my CZ Shadow Orange 2 reliability is only somewhat similar to boatdoc, but gratefully pales in comparison to zippy. My gun came from Cajun Gun Works and I haven't had to contact them or the factory with any issues at all.

I’ve found what boatdoc says is true however that some factory ammo, and reloads sized to “normal” spec, are too long to feed reliably or seat in the chamber. Which is why, for 100% reliability, I have come to rely on my “custom” sized reloads.

Rather than cut the chamber (because the gun is remarkably accurate and I don’t want to risk changing that) I just shortened my reloads OAL and adjusted the powder charge. (bd, the profile of the coated 115 bullets I'm using at present have to be seated much shorter than yours, but they function great with excellent accuracy)

After testing a bunch of powder / weights and recoil springs, I’ve found a super reliable load that recoils just slightly more than my CZ .22 conversion. Makes the gun fun to shoot as a 9mm, ….a lot!

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thankfully, my experience with my CZ Shadow Orange 2 reliability is only somewhat similar to boatdoc, but gratefully pales in comparison to zippy. My gun came from Cajun Gun Works and I haven't had to contact them or the factory with any issues at all.

I’ve found what boatdoc says is true however that some factory ammo, and reloads sized to “normal” spec, are too long to feed reliably or seat in the chamber. Which is why, for 100% reliability, I have come to rely on my “custom” sized reloads.

Rather than cut the chamber (because the gun is remarkably accurate and I don’t want to risk changing that) I just shortened my reloads OAL and adjusted the powder charge. (bd, the profile of the coated 115 bullets I'm using at present have to be seated much shorter than yours, but they function great with excellent accuracy)

After testing a bunch of powder / weights and recoil springs, I’ve found a super reliable load that recoils just slightly more than my CZ .22 conversion. Makes the gun fun to shoot as a 9mm, ….a lot!
some satisfying feeling when the ammo fits and you get to enjoy the gun you bought huh? me too.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
after several emails over 2 weeks. I did get an offer to send the gun back. Like Don_p, I ha d just found the right OAL to work with the gun that very day ( after a couple sessions of reloading and fitting) so I politely turned them down with the explanation I just gave.

I love the gun and now really get to enjoy it. glad I now reload and took the time to figure out what works with my gun

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
Using my reloads your not alone. My CZ Orange Shadow II had the same issue, tight chamber. Took me a couple of weeks of trial and error to figure it out. OAL was shortened and that took care of one issue but I still had some issues with going into battery even with the shorter OAL. The root cause were the coated bullets I was using and the diameter/profile at the ogive. I then tried some copper bullets which I could visibly see the difference in that area and poof it runs flawless now. Drove me nuts lol. I still have the occasional misfire requiring another pull on the trigger to fire but I understand that issue too. That issue is my gun also came from Cajun with a lightened double action and the use of CCI primers which have the hardest shell of all. They even comment on that on their web site. As I said, in the end I am very happy with the gun and happy that I was able to correct this on my own.
On another note, I too had thought about reaming. However after investigation I found that their barrels are very hard with coating and that almost all shops quit offering to ream because its so hard on the their tools. I shied away from that after I came across an in-depth thread on CZ chambers in which the author had added - "would you cut the ends off your newly bought $600 tennis shoes just to get your toes to fit?" That struck home with me and caused me to get this all figure out. Glad you got yours figured out too.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
As a matter of course I lengthen leades in all my CZs, IF the barrel isn’t Nitride.
Unfortunately that rules out most of their newer guns.
Only option I have is load short(er) for that specific chamber.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
...... I still have the occasional misfire requiring another pull on the trigger to fire but I understand that issue too. That issue is my gun also came from Cajun with a lightened double action and the use of CCI primers which have the hardest shell of all. ........
Same here, so I begrudgingly sacrificed the light trigger pull that came with the gun and swapped out the mainspring for a heavier one for the reliability. Pained me to do it, but I haven't had any light strikes since.

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
@Don_P yeah I'm thinking about that too as I only have CCI primers on hand. If and when primers are available again I will try Winchester and see how that goes.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
What diameter bullets are you guys using? I’m going to guess .356 copper plated? I use .355 polymer coated lead and have no issues. I’d have to lookup my OAL though. Have no issues in the TSO or Shadow2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What diameter bullets are you guys using? I’m going to guess .356 copper plated? I use .355 polymer coated lead and have no issues. I’d have to lookup my OAL though. Have no issues in the TSO or Shadow2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes .355" 124 gr fmj round nose new OAL is 1.142" all is well :)

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
.356 Falcon coated bullets, (second generation) I have a few thousand left, sorry to see they recently closed the business. I’ve read some guys didn’t care for the gen 2 product after the original owner sold the business, but I’ve found them to be sized consistently, uniformly coated, slick, and accurate. It’s just that this particular batch has an ogive that requires a shorter than usual OAL. The copper coated and jacketed bullets I have been using require some, but not as much, deviation in seating depth.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
The Falcon, on the left, @ an OAL of 1.05, any taller and it will not spin when dropped in the chamber. At this OAL they load and cycle 100% every mag.
The X-treme copper coated is noticeably taller but shorter than the “norm”. They load and cycle fine from the magazine. Plunk and spin fine also. Any taller than 1.13 and I’ll get an occasional failure to chamber as I do with some factory ammo.
It’s my CZ chamber. When I load the copper to “normal” dimensions they function fine in all my other 9mm pistols. I’m not complaining, the CZ is ridiculously accurate and is my favorite to shoot so I don’t mind having to deviate from the norm.
IMG_0694s.jpg

·
Professional Pest, NRA Patron member
2,591 Posts
I sent one gun to CZ Custom and they contacted me to let me know they had ruined my slide. They replaced it with another without a serial number. After that I gave Cajun Custom and try and I'm now hooked. Any future CZ needs will be handled by Cajun as they do great work in a timely fashion. They modified my TSO for me and then built a Shadow 2 for me that is outstanding.

·
Registered
282 Posts
No doubt CGW is a well respected shop and does well on the retail consumer side. My perspective is ( and I could be wrong) CZ Custom is oriented toward the heavy action shooter who knows how to service his or her own pistol and won't request the gun be sent back for spring replacement and little stuff like that. It's like 2 different cultures and they are coming at it from different perspectives.

·
старая каза
577 Posts
I think that's total BS. If CZ Custom's target demographic is, 'heavy action' shooters then why do they carry such a wide variety of both custom builds and lightly modified CZ pistols for casual competition and self/home defense? Truth is, they're a firearms retailer just like everyone else and you really should stop making excuses and trying to justify what has to be some of the worst customer service in the business bar none. CZ Custom is the pits. Spend your hard earned $ elsewhere.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts