1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright albeit a little dramatic I have both things necessary to complete this job it would seem but the pushing in the sight pusher has alas come up short.

Pushed left to right and right to left, no budge, I adding the swearing because it gave me a sense of accomplishment when one was not achieved.

What say you, any had luck removing a rear CZ97 sight or did you just punch it out with some ol brass persuasion?

Many thanks fellow Addicts.

·
Banned
2,688 Posts
Always been a fan of a brass drift rod and a large hammer.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very well may be my next plan of attack, their both in the corner for the times being to contemplate what they've done:finger:

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll give that a shot, I subscribe to the don't force it process but patience is quite often over ruled by impatience, time will tell. I'm guessing loktite is in on this thing.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just did my 97B with a brass punch and hammer. She was a tight one! Took a few good whacks but broke loose. Looking from the back of the slide I pushed it off to the left. Good luck!!

Did both my 75s the same way.

·
Dremel jockey
4,511 Posts
Of all the VERY tight sights I have experienced, none were that tight due to Loc-Tite.
They have all been tight due to the metal to metal fit.
Now Loc-Tite on the set screw, if one is present, is something different.
Loc-Tite can keep a marginally loose sight from walking, but Loc-Tite is not very impact resistant.
Very rigid vise, SHARP blow with a punch. I use a piece of .005" steel shim stock to prevent marring of the sight.
A nylon/Delrin punch won't cut the mustard.

·
Premium Member
1911s for GOD and Country
1,657 Posts
Had the same issue in my Sig 226 Legion. I dunno what they did but that sucker would not budge. I ended up trying a heat gun. It worked

·
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a 1911 today
3,224 Posts
I tried to remove the front sight on my Ruger SR1911 10mm. First, I used a generic sight pusher with no luck. Then tried tapping it with a brass punch and hammer. Nothing. Secured it in a vise and used a brass punch and larger hammer, then a 3 lb sledge, 5 lb sledge, 20 lb sledge... then I got a running start with the 20 lb sledge from the end of my driveway... tied the sledge to my car and drove it into the punch... made a 12 gauge 3.5" magnum wax slug with the brass punch in the middle of it and shot it at the sight... nothing.

That front sight won't budge.

Well, maybe not all that. Sure felt like it though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts