Dan Wesson 715?

Discussion in 'Revolvers' started by RS., Dec 15, 2018.

1. RS.

RS. Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2017
    I’m starting to get the revolver itch and let me say... it burns.

I own Three smiths and enjoy them all. I love the versatility of the 357/38 platform. Even got a Marlin 1894

But the other day I saw a magazine article on the DW pistol pack and was drawn to it. So now I want a 715. I love the idea of being able to change barrels, love the short DA trigger, and want a gun I can use in Distinguished Revolver / Harry Reeves matches this season.

Anyone own one? Thoughts on things I should look out for? Should I get old or new production? Used / New?

Dub likes this.
  2. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I've looked at these many times and thought about buying one on more than 1 occasion. There was just something about the sharp lines that bugged me, almost like they did not want to add the cost of finishing it.

Harleyvato likes this.

3. Harleyvato

Harleyvato Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2017
    I personally don’t like the aesthetics of them but my oldest sister has one and I’ve shot it,well built ,good shooters.the main “issue” I have with it is it’s not one of my smiths. The only other thing I’ve really heard about is if changing the barrel often make sure and get the proper tool and don’t let it get worn. I don’t have personal experience with changing the barrels as she has the 4” and has never removed it. Other than that I’m not sure why the pistol pacs,weren’t more popular.

4. removed

removed Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2015
    My friend's father had one of the original runs of the DW 715's. He used it at a Bowling Pin Shooting league back in the day.
    I shot it a couple of times and it shot like a laser beam. Scary accurate and built like a bank vault.

limbkiller likes this.
  5. seawolfxix

seawolfxix Asker of the Obvious

Dec 10, 2017
    I bought one last year and added some Hogue grips. Great shooter. I think most of the guys that attended the Kansas City event earlier this year would agree: @E-Squared @Pennywise827 @Mr. B @MXRacer143

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    Lineman1982, Dub, joerockhead and 3 others like this.
  6. RS.

RS. Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2017
    Are those hogue grips?

7. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
    I have an older one from 85-86, I like it better than Smith's ive owned but that's just preference. Picked it up for less than 500 and wouldn't sell it for twice that.

FB_IMG_1501292004757.jpg

Lineman1982, Dub, joerockhead and 5 others like this.
  8. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I like the look of the older blued model better. Looks more refined.

limbkiller and Harleyvato like this.
  9. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    Had one years ago. It had the most incredible bluing, I’ve ever seen. Best of luck in your search!

10. KS95B40

KS95B40 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2017
    My model 15-2V is one of my most accurate revolvers. The only thing that I don’t like about it is the cylinder release in front of the cylinder; if it had a thumb style like S&Ws it would be just about perfect.

C924CDB4-5244-416C-9D10-922759C950A6.jpeg

Lineman1982, Dub, joerockhead and 3 others like this.
  11. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
    That's what I like about the DW

limbkiller likes this.
  12. KS95B40

Aug 16, 2017
    It does make for a clean look, however I prefer being able to release the cylinder by pushing the release forward (S&W style) or depressing the release button (Ruger). The Colt is a little more difficult because the release must be pulled back to operated instead of pushing forward or down with the thumb on my firing hand. With my DW, I have to manipulate the release with my left hand while holding the revolver with my right.

13. seawolfxix

seawolfxix Asker of the Obvious

Dec 10, 2017
    When reloading, I hold my revolvers like Roy does in this video (at the beginning and at 1:07), so my thumb is in position for the DW release anyway:

Whiten likes this.
  14. RS.

RS. Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2017
    I ended up purchasing an older 715 on GB to give the platform a try. More to come.

Dub, rod442, Harleyvato and 2 others like this.
  15. KS95B40

Aug 16, 2017
    The model 15 series Dan Wesson’s are great revolvers, very well made and quite accurate.

Please post a pic when you get your newly purchased 715.

limbkiller likes this.
  16. RS.

RS. Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2017
    Will do. It might be a little bit of a beater but I got it for under $400. Does anyone know if the new production barrels / shrouds fit the old guns?

I know they work vice versa.

I might put a stainless shroud on a blue gun just cause.

17. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
    Dub likes this.
  18. RS.

RS. Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2017
    Took a chance on a $350 715 and finally got it to the range today. Here are the highlights.

Good: Very Accurate and love the shorter trigger pull of the 715.

Bad: Rear sight tilts right and had numerous light primer strikes in double action.

Bottom line: I like the platform but probably should have gone new production considering I’d like to use this in DR matches. So this one might be headed our the door in search of new. I’ll take a loss but not that much of one.

Anyone else have similar issues?

038A3B72-EC3F-4C5A-80B0-BEA164BA8A82.jpeg

KS95B40 likes this.
  19. Harleyvato

Harleyvato Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2017
    Your revolver may just need a spring and some adjustments,you may want to look into that before dismissing what sounds like a good solid revolver. YMMV

Dub likes this.
  20. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
    I also think just a spring or needing adjusted. You can still buy sights also. The pistol shoots good, I would do some work to it.

Dub likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted