1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
I'm just here for the gas.
3,097 Posts
39153.jpeg

This is what happened to my Valkyrie Commander because I didn't read the owner's manual...yeah, it doesn't come out no matter what I try.

·
Deo Volente
7,120 Posts
It will dull the finish. Wilson oil is fine, gunfighter oil, ballistol, slip 2000 etc. Just stay away from the scrubber type products. I have used all I mentioned on both my dw dt guns
So you have used Ballistol on a duty treat finish? I have a Dan Wesson Bruin which needs some attention.

Reactions: Sneaky One

·
Wrinkled Member
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is what happened to my Valkyrie Commander because I didn't read the owner's manual...yeah, it doesn't come out no matter what I try.
Ouch! I'm guessing you weren't very pleased with yourself.

I used some MD Labs XF7 lube on the frame/slide rails & under the slide release lever. I'm beginning to think the frame might be lighter colored after I wiped off the excess.

·
Wrinkled Member
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It will dull the finish. Wilson oil is fine, gunfighter oil, ballistol, slip 2000 etc. Just stay away from the scrubber type products. I have used all I mentioned on both my dw dt guns
I think Slip 2000 is one of the lubes the owner manual mentioned to avoid.

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
read the manual and all will be fine. duty treat only, ss is fine, itll destroy the finish not unique to dw, guncrafter and others are also affected

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
I have several DW DT guns and I’ve never used anything on them but exactly what the manual says to use. Kroil and FP10 and I’ve never had a problem.

·
Wrinkled Member
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have used Mitch Rosen Leather Lightning inside my holsters. Any idea if that might be a problem also?

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
I see KROIL was mentioned. Excellent penetrating fluid. Slippery as hell. My dad used to always have it in the shed and been around since 600B.C. The bad thing is it has the Viscosity of water. And a smell that only a Mother would love(hate).

·
Wrinkled Member
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Familiar with Kroil from a previous job. Wasn't well suited for that application (too thin). The precision bench rest crowd love it.

I can't recall ever seeing Kroil available retail.

·
Wrinkled Member
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
So... I have tried several searches. Was not able to locate the post with damage pics. Grateful for the pic above. What I'm seeing is on the aluminum frame, not on the slide. Sounds like Duty Treat is not used on aluminum frames.

I've gone through my cleaning supplies & tossed out several lubes. Also threw away my old wipe down cloths. I'm sure there must be remnants of CLP on those.

I liked the MD Labs XF7 lube. The applicator needs improving though. It's a big syringe, but the grease pushes up past the piston & then you have to scrape it off. I tossed the remainder in the trash.

Still a bit concerned about Mitch Rosen Leather Lightning. The ingredients are not listed. I attempted to call DW, but I suspect they are closed due to Covid-19.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts