close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dan Wesson Dan Wesson ECO 9mm: Magwell, Arched MSH, or Both?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by smalltownsongs, Jan 12, 2018.

1. smalltownsongs

smalltownsongs Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Apr 29, 2017
    So, thanks to amazing forum member @Steve Owens I've been able to grab an ECO in 9mm.
    It juuuuust barely fits my hand. I'm feeling a magwell to get me just a little more length and from folks' pics it seems like that'll do it. Then again, would an arched MSH help fill my hand, or... more confusing yet... a magwell with an arched msh?

At the moment I'm feeling it's the magwell purchase (peeping at S&A), but don't really want to buy a flat and a smooth and ask 'em to kindly return the one I don't like. For some reason business don't like that :D

While I understand it's all personal preference, I'm asking your guidance and opinions.

Thanks all!

Mikey421 likes this.
  2. Steve Owens

Steve Owens Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I have a cheap magwell on mine one of the wilson combat universals which i respectfully regret, but wasn't expecting one to fit a round butt gun to be real cheap and it does serve the purpose. Only thing is bottom back of grips need notched a little bit to fit, and they are only around $35 on Brownells. Brownells are real good about returns with a no question asked policy, Glad you like the pistol but when you get the magwell you'll need some Ed Brown base pads for the bottom of your three mags. lol 5 or 6 of those are $11 I believe or less.

smalltownsongs likes this.

3. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    How does the current hand configuration shoot for you?
    Sometimes "just" is just enough especially if you plan to carry it.

gps man, smalltownsongs and blitz45 like this.
  4. Mikey421

Mikey421 Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2014
    The S&A magwell MSH is what I am going after for my Para single stacker. Best deal that doesn’t require smithing to weld and fit....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. smalltownsongs

Apr 29, 2017
    I love the way it feels and conceals, shooting it... I gotta say I'd love just a little more length to that grip to help me control it better.

Steve Owens likes this.
  6. Steve Owens

Mar 20, 2017
    I also believe Fusion firearms make some pretty good choices in officer size magwell and mainspring combos. But, like I said want to check in to how that round butt on the pistol would affect the fit. That is why I used the one piece from WC it accomplished what I wanted to do with the length and was not dependent on the butt of the grip at all, keeping your existing main spring housing.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-p...ousings/1911-ez-loader-magwell-prod16413.aspx

IC what you mean by the arched ms/magwell from SA, but that almost looks like a fastback? maybe not, did you actually find this for an officer size grip?

7. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    I'm not an expert but personally in 9 mm I'd shoot it a lot more and see if you grow into the gun before changing anything.

blitz45, gps man, LPRoad and 5 others like this.
  8. smalltownsongs

Apr 29, 2017
    Steve, good point I should be mindful of that round butt. sidenote: that main thought could have prevented lotsa trouble in my day LOL

Many thanks folks!

blitz45 and Steve Owens like this.
  9. Steve Owens

Mar 20, 2017

10. Wilsonwessonbrown

Wilsonwessonbrown Moderator Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    I would start by replacing the grips with standard thickness rather then thin. And would install a Wilson round butt magwell they make them in aluminum. And hope it lines up well with the round butt frame. Haven’t installed one on an ECO so don’t know for sure.

11. Steve Owens

Mar 20, 2017
    Here is a first hand look at mine with the cheaper WC Magwell I provided the link for earlier it actually does serve it's purpose quite well, But you have take a little stock out of the back of the grips to get them to set flush over the tabs that hold the magwell in place. It gives you quite a bit more purchase and control of the grip without looking totally stupid and actually blends quite well with the duty coat. I used a dremel to take out the needed stock from the back of the grips. What I really like about these multi colored grips is they are layered so even with a dremel you can tell when they are flat by blending the layer. These are also the Ed Brown base pad extensions or slam pads.. Got those from Midway I believe no sure if Brownells has these or not. tried a few others but these work best for me for grip and extension... Each the magwell and the butt pad add 1/4" to the over all length of the grip. Which to me was just enough... Aesthetically not the most gorgeous thing but it was cheap and again serves it's purpose. 0112181916.jpg 0112181916a.jpg 0112181916b.jpg 0112181916c.jpg 0112181917.jpg 0112181917a.jpg 0112181917b.jpg 0112181917c.jpg 0112181937.jpg 0112181937b.jpg

12. Wilsonwessonbrown

Wilsonwessonbrown Moderator Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    I was talking about bulletproof Wilson magwell in my post.

smalltownsongs and Steve Owens like this.
  13. Steve Owens

Mar 20, 2017
    Yeah I know I posted a link to him earlier for this cheaper option, just what I used to gain a little purchase on mine.

14. tc215

tc215 Active Member

May 31, 2015
    I had a Wilson roundbutt magwell on my custom CCO that was built with an ECO frame. Wasn’t perfect, but I really liked it.

15. Tots

Tots New Member

Jan 1, 2017
    I’m using the cheap Wilson magwell for now ad well. It absolutely does its job for $35 and really doesn’t look all that bad. I’m still getting a S&A for a permanent replacement but initially, it can’t be beat for the $

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018 at 12:54 PM
    Steve Owens likes this.
  16. Steve Owens

Mar 20, 2017
    I like them okay except don't like having to modify the grips so much. Especially if there $100 grips or more. lol.

17. Rose

Rose Blossoming Addict

Apr 13, 2017
    We need to lobby Stan Chen to come out with a officer frame version of his magwell's!

Mikey421 likes this.
  18. Mikey421

Mikey421 Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2014
    Consider yourselves lucky that you have access to any of those. I live in Ca and due to Obama and his restrictions on gun parts and exportation, I can’t get the S&A mag well MSH that I want. I have to wait for Dlask Arms to get some more in stock and get one from them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted