1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are these two guns similar in size? I have a P938, and am looking for another sub-compact to add to the collection.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
The ECO is an Officer-sized 1911. It has a 3.5" barrel, with a compact frame. It is very concealable, but not nearly as small as a P938. The P938 is a pocket gun, the ECO is not. It is lightweight, but not as small, light, or concealable as the 938. It will, however, be much easier for most to shoot, especially with follow-up shots, when compared to the much smaller P938.

I've had two in 9mm, and one in 45. Loved them all, and still have one in 9mm. The others were only sold for other "must haves".

Good luck!

·
JMB fan
563 Posts
I had a P938 for awhile. I liked it, well made, reliable. I liked "1911-ness" of it, but I couldn't get back on target well after that first shot. There just wasn't enough grip for me- not just length, but thickness. I am currently looking officer size pistols.....

·
Premium Member
3,033 Posts
ECO is larger. I have an ECO in 9mm and it is a great little shooter that is easy to conceal. I also HAD a P938...it was an awesomely accurate little gun...definitely could be a pocket carry....but for ME...it was too small (I have VERY large hands)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info people. I have one on order and I’m sure I’ll love it. I was just hoping the ECO would be small enough to fit in an ankle holster.

The reason for the ankle holster is, I’m in the medical field and always wear scrubs to work.

We’ll see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
I once carried a Smith and Wesson 5906 in an ankle holster. That was one heavy gun, but I made it work for the short time I did it.....I regularly carried a Glock 27 with a mag with the pinky extension in an ankle holster, and it was no problem....the ECO is close to the same size, and is actually slimmer.

·
Registered
673 Posts
If you are looking for a gun the size of a p938, consider looking at the Kimber Micro 9. It is a cool little gun and very 1911 like. I have had both the p938 and the micro 9. I actually prefer the Micro 9. You may already know about this gun, and this might be slightly off topic, but I though I would mention it anyway.

·
Registered
381 Posts
P938 is not built to shoot a 45. I have a colt LW officers model, Its huge in an ankle holster.
I have a SIG P238 (380) and a Kimber Micro 9. The sig is better built.
In an ankle holster, either one is great. The P238 will just fit in my back pocket with a small light pocket holster. The micro 9 sticks out too much.

David

·
Premium Member
3,033 Posts
Thanks for the info people. I have one on order and I’m sure I’ll love it. I was just hoping the ECO would be small enough to fit in an ankle holster.

The reason for the ankle holster is, I’m in the medical field and always wear scrubs to work.

We’ll see how it goes.
Hmmm....well that changes the dynamic a bit, LOL. ECO is doable in an ankle holster...but in your specific case I'd look at a lightweight snubbie....I carried an airweight 442 for a while...great ankle gun...

Reactions: jimmyk and Dub

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've had a couple 938's and 238's but I probably won't buy either one again. IMO, when you start getting into that size I'd much prefer a striker fire instead of a hammer/1911 type gun.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Grab an ECO you'll like it.
It's sub compact for a 1911!

Reactions: jimmyk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've had a couple 938's and 238's but I probably won't buy either one again. IMO, when you start getting into that size I'd much prefer a striker fire instead of a hammer/1911 type gun.

I bought a Sig P365 recently. I wanted to like it, but the firing pin broke after 2 rounds. I caused a big stink over on SigTalk, lol. I’m just gonna say no to strikers. It’s hammer time for me.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yes, Sig or Kimber micro size guns with the same controls as a "Real" 45. My wife shoots a Micro Carry (380) with laser grips. Same controls as her Dan Wesson PM-9 Bullseye gun that she shoots twice a week.

Stay tuned for pictures in ankle holsters.
David

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a 9mm ECO and a 938. I carry the 938 mostly because it's even easier to conceal than the ECO and capacity is the same. If you get an ankle holster for either, do yourself a favor and just spend the money on a Galco Ankle Glove. You'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I carry both an ECO and a P938 (and a S&W 442 FWIW).

I definitely think of the ECO as a really small 1911 — it goes in a good holster on the belt or a shoulder rig, but is pretty easy to cover up (jeans and a t-shirt or so). If I don't have a cover garment but want to be properly equipped, the ECO is it.

My P938 and 442 are more or less truck-and-pocket guns. I gram one when I have to run in somewhere for a quick errand to or from work. (My office is decidedly anti-gun in a very anti-gun city and security is pretty tight, so they stay locked in the locked vechicle in secured parking.)

If I ankle carried I'd probably roll with a snubbie, and when I run with a gun I also usually reach for the snub of the two.

I'm not a doctor but I imagine most shots I'm taking in scrubs or a medical office will be close in and a low number of bad guys.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts