1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my birthday is in a few months and ima buy my self a carry 1911 must be 9mm I’ve been eye balling a few. The dan wesson ecp, dan wesson guardian, dan wesson v-bob and the springfield emp 4 any of you have experience with these guns or carrying these guns pros and cons ? Are dan Wesson's as good as people say? Thanks!

·
Wrinkled Member
980 Posts
Dan Wesson ECP looks very interesting to me.

I fondled one of the first Springfield EMP a few years back. Felt good in the hand. I wear a size 9-10 glove. Heard there were a few teething problems, but I don't know the details.

Does the EMP have MIM internals?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My second DW followed very quickly behind my first. Love them both.
You should add an ECO to your list to check out. (That was my first. A blued 5” Valor followed.)
ill take a look at it. Something about the bob tail look I really love th.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
For DWs Look at the ECP, Guardian, ECO and also a CCO.
the vigil line with a rd butt treatment is sweet.
I’d have to say the eco or a cco is easiest for CCW at least they were for me.

Unfortunately currently my CCW is not A 1911 but a HK p2000.
Awaiting my ACW return from Integrity arms

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For DWs Look at the ECP, Guardian, ECO and also a CCO.
the vigil line with a rd butt treatment is sweet.
I’d have to say the eco or a cco is easiest for CCW at least they were for me.

Unfortunately currently my CCW is not A 1911 but a HK p2000.
Awaiting my ACW return from Integrity arms
I think it’s definitely gonna be the ecp or guardian.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have both ECP (.45) and Guardian (9mm). They are indeed as good as people say.
Which do you perfer ? Does one feel more quality then the other? Hows the brass beed on the ecp

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dan Wesson ECP looks very interesting to me.

I fondled one of the first Springfield EMP a few years back. Felt good in the hand. I wear a size 9-10 glove. Heard there were a few teething problems, but I don't know the details.

Does the EMP have MIM internals?
Yes I believe the EMP has MIM internals. Plus the extractor that ejects the bullets is glued instead of pinned which blows my mind

·
Wrinkled Member
980 Posts
Yes I believe the EMP has MIM internals. Plus the extractor that ejects the bullets is glued instead of pinned which blows my mind
Thought so. Hadn't heard about the extractor. That's 2 strikes. What a shame as the frame size surely has a unique feel to it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thought so. Hadn't heard about the extractor. That's 2 strikes. What a shame as the frame size surely has a unique feel to it.
You talking about the normal emp or the emp 4? If the normal emp dan wesson has some guns that are the size of the EMP

·
Registered
184 Posts
You talking about the normal emp or the emp 4? If the normal emp dan wesson has some guns that are the size of the EMP
The EMP is a whole different animal. They aren't really a 1911. They are scaled down, and designed for 9MM. They are their own "thing."

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have the ECP 9mm and a Guardian in .38 Super. You probably know the Guardian is a classic commander sized bobtail with an alloy frame. It is a traditional 1911 design with bbl bushing. The ECP has a more unique design with a tri-top, serrated slide and bushing-less bull barrel. I think the straight trigger in my ECP is better than the one in the Guardian, but only slightly. The first time I pulled the ECP trigger on a loaded chamber my initial impression was “wow that recoil was soft”. I also have a 5” Valor in 9mm and I think the perceived recoil between the two is negligible. The bull barrel helps with balance too. As far as EDC... I like the sights on the ECP. The gold bead is bright under nearly all conditions. Other than that it’s sixes. Either would fit the bill nicely if you want the commander footprint. I love my Dan Wesson’s. They are excellent guns.

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
I own or have owned about all the DW 1911s mentioned in this thread. DW quality is the best you can get in production 1911s without jumping to semi-customs. I have the ECPs in both 9mm and .45acp. I am not a fan of CCOs although I have owned and shot several. In commander size, the ECPs have been my favorites because of two things. Balance and recoil. These are judgement issues for each person but for me the ECPs balance better than any of the 4.25 commanders that I have shot. They just feel "perfect" in my hand. Also for some strange reason the perceived recoil seems to be minimal even with the lightweight frame.
I'm not too crazy about the gold bead front sight. Some folks like it but to me it seems to blend in with the sight body, and doesn't present a clear distinct appearance. Not much to gripe about, may change it someday to a FO.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have the ECP 9mm and a Guardian in .38 Super. You probably know the Guardian is a classic commander sized bobtail with an alloy frame. It is a traditional 1911 design with bbl bushing. The ECP has a more unique design with a tri-top, serrated slide and bushing-less bull barrel. I think straight the trigger in my ECP is better than the one in the Guardian, but only slightly. The first time I pulled the ECP trigger on a loaded chamber my initial impression was “wow that recoil was soft”. I also have a 5” Valor in 9mm and I think the perceived recoil between the two is negligible. The bull barrel helps with balance too. As far as EDC... I like the sights on the ECP. The gold bead is bright under nearly all conditions. Other than that it’s sixes. Either would fit the bill nicely if you want the commander footprint. I love my Dan Wesson’s. They are excellent guns.
id imagine the ecp still fits in a traditional commander holster correct ? Or no like some sig 1911s cause the slide has a unique look. Only gripe i have with the ecp not having owned one is the tool take down but i can get a tool-less guide rod to fix that.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I own or have owned about all the DW 1911s mentioned in this thread. DW quality is the best you can get in production 1911s without jumping to semi-customs. I have the ECPs in both 9mm and .45acp. I am not a fan of CCOs although I have owned and shot several. In commander size, the ECPs have been my favorites because of two things. Balance and recoil. These are judgement issues for each person but for me the ECPs balance better than any of the 4.25 commanders that I have shot. They just feel "perfect" in my hand. Also for some strange reason the perceived recoil seems to be minimal even with the lightweight frame.
I'm not too crazy about the gold bead front sight. Some folks like it but to me it seems to blend in with the sight body, and doesn't present a clear distinct appearance. Not much to gripe about, may change it someday to a FO.
yah idk if ill enjoy that beed or not. One thing id definitely change is the guide rod id change it to a tool-less guide rod hopefully i can choose which gun i want when the time comes

·
Premium Member
3,460 Posts
You will not go wrong with an ECP. Or a TCP if you must have a light rail. Both are awesome and if you buy wisely, you will not take a beating when you get ready to sell it.

I bought a EB EVO KC9 and it was/is nice but I like the DW ECP better. They're just a hell of a gun, especially for the price.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
iffn deep conceel is yur thang ida go wif a smif n weson j fram weelie for pocket carry idk why a fully semi automatic would preform any better or worse than one of those and wooden cost the coin of a j frame

1 - 20 of 46 Posts