Dan Wesson Dan Wesson feedback

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Digelectric, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Digelectric

Digelectric New Member

Nov 9, 2018
    Is Dan Wesson the best production 1911 available? If not, what would you prefer?

Considering the CBOB or PM7 (the two DW models available in California).

Thanks in advance

2. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Imho yes, the Dan Wesson line of pistols is the best production gun on the market.. What you get for the money is really close to a Semi Custom gun.. I own 12-15 at my last count. On top of that I do a lot of builds using them as base guns as they do not require a ton of work to make them into a nice custom... They use all upper tier internals, their fit and finish is more often then not a cut above the other manufacturers when it comes to production guns. They hand fit all parts as well as a match grade barrel. Both of your choices while it stinks that those are the only two models are still excellent choices. Buy with confidence. And their CS is pretty dang decent as well.

3. David R

David R Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    Just bought a PM-9. Incredibly accurate. After the first 50 rounds, has not missed a beat.

David

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

4. psafety

psafety ex Rent-a-Engineer

Oct 11, 2018
    I'm preparing to purchase my second DW, a Guardian in 38 Super. My other is a SS VBob in 45ACP. I own several Kimbers fine guns, but not up to DW's standard.

RN47 likes this.
  5. David R

Oct 7, 2018
    Buying Valor in 45 soon.

David

6. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    Yes, IMHO.
    Without a doubt.

7. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Dan Wesson’s are fabulous at their price point. If you’re comfortable at the $1100 to $1700 range they’re impossible to beat. Realize, though, that there are those who think anything less than a $4000 semi custom is an unshootable piece of poo while others think those who spend over $800 on a 1911 are idiots with too much money. Handle and, if possible, shoot as many 1911s you can get your hands on. I was all set to buy a Springfield as my first 1911, but I handled everything from RIAs, Colts, Springfields and Sigs to Baers, Wilson’s, STIs and Nighthawks. I felt like the PM9 I bought was far and away the most gun for the money and I was comfortable spending $1400. Let us know what you decide.
    Regards,
    Jeff

8. Digelectric

Digelectric New Member

Nov 9, 2018
    Totally!

So that means I’m an idiot who has almost too much money and likes shooting poo. :)

I’ll take it.

9. removed

removed Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2015
    So far, as its already been said at that price point (sub 3k) they are hard to beat.
    I will say I have heard great things about Fusion Firearms as well, who are competing in the same market / pricing space.

Fusion as many know is the company Bob Seva owns. Interestingly, Bob was running DW when they were bought out by CZ. So, I am thinking he knows a thing or two about how to build a 1911.

Also, I do a "dog" in this hunt. I own a couple of DWs (one DW custom and one off the shelf), AND I have a Fusion 2011 being customize / made as we speak. I will report back when I receive it.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    Kip, Capthobo and Old Sea Dragon like this.
  10. tc215

tc215 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2015
    You cannot do better than a Dan Wesson 1911 in the sub-$2k range. I like them just as much as my Wilsons, Browns, Springfield Custom, etc. Which is probably why I’ve bought 20 of them.

Kip and ImperialBlade like this.
  11. Digelectric

Digelectric New Member

Nov 9, 2018
    Why did you stop at 20??

12. tc215

tc215 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2015
    If history is any indication, I’m sure I'm not done.

13. Digelectric

Digelectric New Member

Nov 9, 2018
    I think 22 is the bare minimum :)

14. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    I have one DW, a Duty Coat V-bob, .45 acp. There’s no point to buying more, I would only shoot it anyway.

Kip likes this.
  15. Digelectric

Digelectric New Member

Nov 9, 2018
    I appreciate your commitment to monogamy :)

16. stlgecko

stlgecko I’m just here for the 1911’s

May 24, 2014
    Dan Wesson’s are simply an excellent purchase in most ways. They aren’t perfect but nothing is. You might have to tweak a thing or two but these aren’t cheap plastic loose fitting guns.

17. rod442

rod442 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2014
    I totally agree with everyone's statements on DW quality. I have shot quite a few in 9mm, and a couple in 45 or 10mm. I only own a guardian in 9mm, but would own any of them.

That said, if I were interested in one in 9mm for carry.... I might look at the new Evolution series by Ed Brown as well. I realize its not exactly a 100% 1911, but close enough. and if any of the Brown's Ive shot are an indication of the quality of these; I'm in the market for sure.

https://www.edbrown.com/evo/

18. KTXdm9

KTXdm9 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Best is really subjective, but you get a lot of gun for your money with DW. Quality parts, tight fit, and excellent accuracy for sub-$2k (and many times sub $1.5K) is hard to beat.

Old Sea Dragon and rod442 like this.
  19. David R

Oct 7, 2018
    My new PM-9 will hold 5 shots just over an inch at 25 yards. Sometimes a little under. This is with hand loads off sand bag rest. Great shooting gun.

David

Mike0251 and Old Sea Dragon like this.
  20. mikes250r

mikes250r Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2018
    You really do go get a lot of gun for your money with a Dan Wesson. I own four of them!

KTXdm9 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted