Dan Wesson Dan Wesson Heritage vs Valor, Stan Chen Customization

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by B81, Nov 9, 2018.

1. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I contacted Dan Wesson today to find out the difference between the Heritage RZ-45 and Valor. I had asked if the only difference was cosmetic. I asked if I could expect the same degree of reliability and accuracy from either model.

Here was their response: "All our guns use the same internal parts, same attention to detail, fit and finish. Like you said, the main difference is cosmetics. You can expect the same level of accuracy."

This means that the Heritage could be an excellent base gun for customization.

I'm thinking of maybe buying a Heritage, and then sending it off to Stan Chen. The base gun can be had for about 1100. The Stan Chen work is about 1100. So, for about the price of a Les Baer, I could have a Stan Chen customized Dan Wesson.

Has anyone gone down this road? If so, was it worth it?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  2. MDP

MDP MP Custom

Jul 22, 2016
    What work are you wanting Stan to do?

3. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    I like that Clark style rib on the top of the slide on the Heritage, but it doesn't have front strap checking, which I really like from a functional perspective. That alone is probably $250 to have done, or more.

4. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    Personally, I'm a fan of making guns they way you want them and not settling for what the factories put out. Whether or not it's worth it is up to you. What kind of work would you have Chen do? Obviously, the more gun you start with the less work will probably be required to get it where you want it to be.

I sent my Baer Boss to Joe Chambers for some work, he installed one of his gold bead front sights, did ball and disco cuts on the slide, polished the slide flats, reblued it, and did an action job using the existing ignition parts. Not a huge amount of work but that bit of love from Joe C. really changed the personality of the gun and dramatically improved the appearance and feel for not a lot of money. Definitely worth the investment to get that bit of personalization that finished the gun for me and made it exactly the way I wanted it.

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot and Whiten like this.
  5. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I was looking at this: http://store.chencustom.com/product_p/dwh-pkg.htm

I'm mainly want the Stan Chen magwell and front strap checkering (it doesn't have to be the protac).

Flush cut slide stop and reverse crown barrel would be nice, but not essential.

It would also be nice to get something analogous to the Duty Treatment (melonite?) after the machining is done. Which is something that Stan Chen doesn't offer, but I presume could be done afterwards (for more money).

6. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    1st thing I do to any Dan Wesson or factory built gin is fit a gunsmith fit bushing. If barrel is fit properly this will exponentially improve the accuracy of the pistol. And exceptionally so before the original break in period. The heritage dies need front strap treatment and the Valor already has 25 lpi checkering. If your wanting dtsns magwell and protrac front strap then a clean front strap is most certainly a must. Other than that action and reliability job imo are a necessity. While DWs usually have really good triggers, the TR trigger is a phenomenal upgrade also imo. Along with any other cosmetics. And I am also a big believer in the disco cut. GL part of the fun is specifying the build.

Fred_G, TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot and B81 like this.
  7. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    Do it! You’ll love it.
    I miss mine. Should have kept it and sent it out to Lou for more work.

52DE3A4B-DF51-4F2B-807C-0463C2C48397.jpeg E1529695-3418-4FD8-BC6E-249F42FE3530.jpeg ACE2A553-00AC-4C54-9083-A5429E690E4C.jpeg

8. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Yes, I agree that front strap checkering is a functional feature, and not just a cosmetic enhancement.

Likewise, the Duty Treatment has functional value as well.

Steve Owens likes this.
  9. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Dwe and Jollyroger1 like this.
  10. MDP

MDP MP Custom

Jul 22, 2016
    I would just skip the Dan Wesson and go for a custom built gun.

bnaples likes this.
  11. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Duty treat is very nice, but once that finish is applied nobody will want to do any cosmetic upgrades to a duty treat gun. It is so hard its near impervious to any hss cutters,very hard to get cosmetic upgrades to a nitride or minute treated firearm.

PewPewPtwang likes this.
  12. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    IDK that you necessarily need to go to a full custom. DW do use all quality internals and normally they are for a factory gun a good frame to slide fit, with decently fit match grade barrels, you have a good 75% of a nice custom to start imo.

13. Whiskey Sour

Whiskey Sour Blossoming Addict

Apr 13, 2017
    If you want something a little different that you don't see much a Chen DW would be a slick set up. If given the choice between a Baer or Chen DW, I would go with the DW.

PewPewPtwang likes this.
  14. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    I would opt to use a A2 government do to the Clark rib on heritage and the Checkering already on the valor.

15. FredZ

FredZ Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 7, 2017
    I purchased a Heritage from a fellow addict who sent the gun directly to Steve at Integrity arms. This will be a birthday present for my son. When Steve gets started(hope soon) Im thinking he will post some pics of the modifications .It should be fun to watch.Get your popcorn.

dimedog likes this.
  16. pcar157

pcar157 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 22, 2019
    Who/what is a TR trigger that you referred to?

17. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    Steve Owens and pcar157 like this.
  18. pcar157

pcar157 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 22, 2019
  19. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    True radius sear trigger job.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted