1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,687 Posts
I have a DW pm38 coming in and wanted to ask if anyone here has tried to run 148gr wc handloads through the pistol ?
This would be a bit like buying a prize, stud herd bull and castrating him.

Obviously the Super comes into it's own with velocity.
However, if you're wanting a cheaper mod. 52 S&W type pistol, I understand that.
There is no reason it couldn't work, other than OAL of cartridge not wanting to feed.
The DWs have ramped barrels, you may have to seat the WC long, it may feed fine, it may be a cluster.

We used Supers in the day with extremely wimpy loads shooting Steel Challenge and NRA Action matches.
Set up properly they ran like a sewing machine.

·
NRA Endowment member
3,731 Posts
The JMB 1911 38 ACP original design was basically a wad cutter gat. I don’t see why not. And since the DW 38 superbs are ramped it should run well. You can ask Keith Lawton at DW if any special mods are necessary just for kicks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Firearm had a problem from the start. I did some dryfire and opened the slide and noticed the firing pin was not retracting from the firing pin hole. Removed the firing pin and could see a restriction in the hole on the top. Not wanting to return the pistol I used a drill bit just a few thousands smaller than the hole to clean out the obstruction. Problem fixed. DW says to not use +P to break in the pistol which means reloads only as no manufacture makes anything but +P. Anyway ran some 95 and 115 gr jacketed minimum power loads. I must say there is a bit of a learning curve to building up loads for this pistol. Went with to lite of a crimp on the 95 gr bullets and had bullets pull out under recoil. There is very little of the bullet in the case using Lee's recommended seating depth. The 115 gr bullets are not a problem. Then I cast some Lee 102 gr bullets. As cast they ran .357. I tried running these and found they do not chamber properly. So I sized down to .356 and they so far are running well under a fairly heavy crimp. Not real sure just how much you can crimp and not have head space problems. The gun itself is a pleasure to shoot. I like it a lot. Very nice trigger. Compared to my .45 GC the recoil is quite snappy. Just align the sights, squeeze the trigger, do not anticipate recoil, and she puts the rounds exactly where you aim. Oh and did I say she is a pretty nice looking date as well.

·
born in the wrong century
8,957 Posts
Glad you like the gun and are getting it running @acs

I've seen .38Super+P-labeled factory ammo that was on par with the same bullet weight 9mm ammo from same company. I'm guessing that is what they are suggesting as break-in ammo ???

They are great looking pistols.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Bullet hold is more about case sizing than crimp.
Crimp just enough to straighten the bell out for bullet seating and to get the gun to feed reliably.
Full wadcutters may work with 9mm mags with the spacer in them.
Semi wadcutters run out of mine just as smoothly as FMJ.
OAL and where the shoulder sits seems to be what makes good feeding vs jam o matic.
I've got about .010 of the shoulder showing out of the case and a tapered crimp of about .002 on the bullet. (Bayou 150gr SWC)
If you want a light shooting load use 124 bayou RN, and a med burning powder with a mid range charge.
Enjoy your DW

Reactions: Dub
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.