1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been interested recently in Dan Wesson’s Pointman 7 Model- until now. Not sure why I missed it before, but tonight when I was looking at listings on GunBroker, I noticed that the PM-7 seems to have a full length guide rod- something I am not at all thrilled about.

I went to the Dan Wesson web site, found the PM-7 page, and could not seem to find any mention of a full length hide rod. That seems like an awfully important feature to not mention.

Am I correct that the PM-7 does have a full length guide rod? If so, I think that would be a deal breaker for me.

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,783 Posts
Not 100% sure about the PM7 but I just looked at my PM9 it does have a full length guide rod, if that helps.

Can’t that be changed?

·
Administrator
8,194 Posts
I believe all the piontman series have a FLGR I know the Pm9 all do. The PM 7 is an old model that is only in production because it’s CA legal. If your not set on adjustable sights I would look at the Heritage or just swap out the guide rod it’s a cheap swap. Certainly wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me that’s is for sure.

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
I’ve been interested recently in Dan Wesson’s Pointman 7 Model- until now. Not sure why I missed it before, but tonight when I was looking at listings on GunBroker, I noticed that the PM-7 seems to have a full length guide rod- something I am not at all thrilled about.

I went to the Dan Wesson web site, found the PM-7 page, and could not seem to find any mention of a full length hide rod. That seems like an awfully important feature to not mention.

Am I correct that the PM-7 does have a full length guide rod? If so, I think that would be a deal breaker for me.
yes it does. why not just replace it with a gi rod?

Reactions: 41 Charlie

·
In the staging lanes
2,244 Posts
GI guide rod & plug & you're done! Easy Peasy. Might as well go with flat wire recoil spring while you're in there.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm... don’t mean to be a grump, but easy as it would be to switch out the guide rod, it seems a shame to be doing that when you just spent $1,400 on a new gun.

Still- the Pointman models do seem nice. And I really like the target sights.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,031 Posts
It's a production gun, you get them the way they make them. If you want to be able to specify what guide rod you want in your pistol you can order one made to your liking for a bunch more money. Or you buy the DW and just swap it out like you would a set of grips you don't like and call it good.

IMO, that's no reason to reject a gun, though, since the 'problem' is so easily remedied.

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
Do you like the PM38, how does it shoot? I've been thinking about buying one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
I love it; smooth, accurate, easy to control. It's the gun that sold me on the 38 super.

And I will reiterate, I generally don't like FLGR. Probably left over from the horrible 2 piece guide rods and/or compact types that require a paperclip for disassembly. The one in the PM strips just as easily as a GI type. It does put a bit more weight out front, but I haven't found that to be disturbing.

·
Registered
622 Posts
none of my 1911's are sporting FLGR, after adding a steel magwell, they are to heavy for USPSA.
every 1911 gun I've bought, except for a LB came with junky two piece FLGR.. they either unscrew or break at the worst possible time, plus why do I have to carry an allen wrench to take the gun apart. So, GI guide rod and plugs for all my "shinny guns".Recently cleaned off the bench and sold 8 FLGR's on Flea Bay. My 2011's are a different story, ONE piece FLGR's with a reverse plug.
Anyone have a paper clip?
I would never consider what recoil guide rod was in a 1911 to effect whether I bought it.. it's less than a $20 fix.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hmmm... don’t mean to be a grump, but easy as it would be to switch out the guide rod, it seems a shame to be doing that when you just spent $1,400 on a new gun.

Still- the Pointman models do seem nice. And I really like the target sights.
It's less than $15 to switch, factor it into your bid or pass on the gun. For me, I wouldn't let that keep me from bidding if I otherwise liked the gun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts