1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have run a little over 150 rounds of cheap practice ammo though my new razorback flawlessly. The other day I was going camping in grizzly country and picked up a box of 220 grain +p and loaded a magazine up. The first time I racked the slide it jammed up before the round was fully chambered. It took some considerable force to open the chamber again. I tried with a few more rounds (chambering no firing) and got similar results. A few rounds chambered and a few didn't. I unloaded the rest and tried cycling a whole magazine of target ammo and it was flawless again. Any ideas?

·
Turgid member
666 Posts
How old is the ammo? Some of the early 220 gr hardcast bullets from one of the boutique ammo makers had to be redesigned.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've had issues with the body of the bullet that is just outside of the case neck being large enough in diameter that this area hits the rifling prior to fully chambering. Could be a combination of diameter and not quite enough free-bore to let certain bullets chamber.

I would expect that if this is the case then you'll see imprints on the bullet if pulled out.

Worth a try.

Jim

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I'd check COAL and bullet diameter. I'd then throw them into the nearest ammo disposal barrel. I've seen things with their ammo to make me swear off of ever shooting it - but that's your call.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Pull your barrel out and use it as a chamber gauge. Drop the ammo in and see if it goes in and then turn it upside down and see if it falls out freely.

What your describing happens a lot with reloading when the col is to long or the crimp on the case mouth isn't crimped enough.

·
Turgid member
666 Posts
In today's market the chances of finding old stock ammo is slim.
Uncle Bob suggested a tight chamber which makes sense to this amateur. At least tight for that cartridge.
I suspect the easiest and quickest cure would be to try a different brand and/or 200 grain loads. Next would be to contact Dan Wesson. Is there a competent gunsmith nearby that can measure the chamber? Can you?

As an aside, the reports of 220 gr 10mm occasionally malfunctioning are why I chose 200 gr hardcast for woods defense.
I want to reinforce that except for this case, I have not seen reports of 220 gr failures in a couple years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts