1911 Firearm Addicts banner

Dan Wesson/Steve Owens Custom A2 Commander .45ACP

SOLD 
6K views 64 replies 29 participants last post by  Integrity Arms 
#1 ·
Red Carmine Trigger Revolver Circle

This is my “As New" Dan Wesson A2 Commander .45ACP from Steve Owens. It’s still coated in oil and wrapped in plastic as received from Steve. I’m not going to unwrap it for pictures. I have not fired it, pulled the trigger, racked the slide or taken the plastic off since receiving it. See these links for pics/details:

This project just flat didn’t work out and will not be riding on my hip or joining my personal collection as I hoped. Unless someone here gives it a home I will feature it in a raffle/contest/giveaway as a promo when I open my firearms business this summer. But since it’s possible someone here may want it, I’m listing it for a couple of weeks.

It’s a simple, straightforward deal: if someone likes this particular combination of gun, premium parts and craftsmanship enough to cover the cost of Steve’s work I’ll throw in the base pistol for free. $1,750 shipped FedEx 2-day to your FFL CONUS. No trades, no "best offers”, no variations as I do have alternate plans. Here’s the story:

Purchased new in Feb 2018, I put about 400 rounds through it but found the grip frame/arched MSH/beavertail-grip safety/thumb safety combination very uncomfortable and essentially unshootable under stress. There was no way to ride the thumb safety and deactivate the grip safety, so the gun sat in my safe for 9 months. After talking with Steve we thought the ergonomics could be improved and I sent the gun to him for some work.

Three months and more than $1,700 later I got back a beautiful A2 with 25lpi checkering, Stan Chen Maxbevel MSH, Ed Brown memory pad grip safety, Harrison Commander hammer and blended TAC thumb safety, Wilson Combat flat trigger, Brandon Bunker radial bushing, true radius action job, internal polishing and tuning, Nighthawk gold bead front sight, Challis bushings, Harrison rear sight, new WC extractor, new EGW ejector and fps, re-crowned barrel as well as a complete refinish with polished flats and a deep, dark blue/black.

Unfortunately, what I did not get back is a pistol with better grip ergonomics. Steve and I were both wrong and this project failed its most important criteria - there is still no way to ride the thumb safety and deactivate the grip safety. While I am both surprised and disappointed, this is just the way it is.

I honestly believe someone who *does not* ride the thumb safety will love this gun. Steve tells me it’s a fantastic shooter. He sent me an impressive test target. It’s beautiful to look at. But that someone is definitely not me.

That’s it. $1,750 shipped FedEx 2-day to your FFL. DW case/accessories/materials included. All OEM take-off parts included. Two (2) Wilson 47 magazines included. Steve Owens build sheet and test target included. Paypal discrete accepted. Any fees will need to be covered by purchaser. I can accept USPS money orders and personal checks but there will be a 7-10 day wait after deposit to ensure it clears. Make sure the gun is legal in your State.

IMPORTANT: I’m currently traveling and the gun is back in Texas. The earliest I can ship the gun is March 19. This week I’m in GA with Pistol Annie. Next week I’m in NC for a class at gunsmith school, then back in GA until I go to NOLA March 14-18. I return home to Texas March 18. Repeat: THE EARLIEST I CAN SHIP THE GUN IS MARCH 19. I do not want this to be a surprise to anyone. Sorry about any inconvenience but I didn’t decide to list the gun until I got here and talked it over with Annie.

See less See more
#41 ·
Of course I put the gun in my hand. So did Steve. I didn’t need to take it out of the baggie to do that. He and I talked about it multiple times. We discussed different options. Ultimately we agreed that reaching our goal with this particular frame didn’t have a high probability of success.

As I said above, I honestly believe someone who doesn’t ride the thumb safety (and I know at least half the people on this forum don’t) will love this gun. It just doesn’t work for me and it’s a good deal for someone else.

What is the big deal?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#9 ·
See what links for details? No links given. There's no way to ride the thumb safety and "deactivate" the grip safety - that's pretty unusual. At any rate, IMHO, someone will get a heck a deal on this sale.

#33 ·
Do I have until March 19th to pay for it if I take it?

I'm assuming since you won't be home to ship it you won't need the money sitting in your mailbox before then?
Looks like it could be sold to me?!
I have some of Steve’s first work and it is great, worked out just as I wanted and I’m very happy with mine.
Gun Yellow Firearm Photograph Trigger

Gun White Line Trigger Grey

#26 ·
gorgeous gun. great price

glws

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.