1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Duty treat 5” Valor in 10mm. Excellent condition and a great shooter. It’s stamped as a blem but the dealer I bought it from said it was a factory demo gun rather than a blemished version. Wasn’t aware they did that but I’m the first owner and can verify it didn’t come with a blem sheet and I couldn’t find any issues.

I have about 250 rounds through it. Just one very small mark on the slide that is visible in the right light (last pic), though there are some dust flecks in the pics. Comes with everything it came with as shown, plus the set of extra kensight sharkskin grips. Not looking for trades, reasonable cash offers welcome.

$1385 incl. shipping to your FFL

Wood Gun Brown Product Firearm

Gun Firearm Trigger White Red

Product Brown Wood Electronic device Technology

Wood Gun Hardwood Flooring Wood stain

Gun Brown Wood Firearm Trigger

Wood White Electronic device Hardwood Technology

Trigger Gun accessory Plastic Toolbox Set tool

Text Font Material property Label Publication

Grey Material property Gadget

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm not an expert, but I hadn't yet heard of DW pistols being marked with the gamma symbol for reasons other than cosmetic blems. Beretta uses the same symbol for demo guns, but I'd so far I'd only seen DW's with the mark be actual blems. I've seen a sticker on the boxes of new DW blem guns that has "BLEM" written in humongous font, and sometimes listings with the gamma mark will have that sticker removed but it will leave paper and adhesive residue like this one shows.

It seemed possible that an unscrupulous dealer could easily remove the blem sheet before a buyer took delivery even as the first owner. The remnants of another large label to the right of the one on the case in this listing looks just like what would be left by the huge BLEM label that's put onto factory blems. If it were a "factory demo" label, if there was such a thing, I didn't see why it would be removed from the box.

However, I did some searching and there is a different label that could have been on the box. It reads "blem/sample/S&D" (I conclude that S&D means Scratch & Dent.)

I even found one that has both the blem/sample/S&D label and a peeled off third label.

So, I would say that the story about it being a sample could be legitimate, if anyone was concerned about the veracity of that. Just as the claimed pedigree of this gun indicates, the gamma symbol on this gun could be there because it's a demo.

Text Font Publication Label Book
Office equipment Label Computer accessory Packaging and labeling Office supplies
Red Carmine Rectangle Colorfulness Grey

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks, I appreciate the background and the explanation of the different labels, I had not heard of demos either so I called to ask them about this one. The dealer was Rifle Gear in Plano, TX, and the person I spoke with said they received it directly from Dan Wesson (IIRC) in April 2019. He said that is common with the demos being shipped out from the factory to have a frame manufacture date being older (this one being 2017) and also for the demos to be incomplete such as missing accessories (this one had only 1 mag). It didn't matter much either way to me, I understood it would only have the blem warranty, and got it for $1650 which was the best price I could find at the time.

On the other hand maybe they just lost a mag and took off the sticker as is certainly possible. I just emailed Dan Wesson with the serial number to see if they can look it up...

*edit* DW replied and cannot look it up by serial number but said a stamped frame should have come with a blem sheet so I’d call that pretty conclusive

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For resale value most would never know what the "upside down Y" would mean. For those who know your gun's value has taken a big dive.
definitely lower value for stamped frames, but thought I had it priced accordingly, maybe not, probably depends on the buyer. As mentioned, offers welcome, just need to replenish the gun fund from a couple recent customs!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts