1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at picking up a Dan Wesson Vigil Government or Commander 45ACP. Aslo giving the Colt Wiley Clapp lineup consideration. Will be carrying at the 3-4 position with some appendix carry here and there. Thoughts on the pistols and how they carry would be appreciated.

·
Known Agitator
3,695 Posts
I carry a stainless Commander most days. With a good holster and belt, no big deal, I carry OWB at 3 to 4:00. I think I like the Commander size slide. I know it is less than an inch smaller, but 'seems' to draw a bit quicker, and I prefer the slightly smaller holster. Either one should work for you.
Product Musical instrument accessory White String instrument accessory Style

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Op,
My usual CCW was a Steel Gov, But for the past month I’ve been carrying a colt LW commander,
at 3 o’clock in a MS SS2, (IWB) I have to say I’ve noticed a difference the slightly shorter commander seems to work better for me especially when driving. With the LW frame it’s a huge pleasure almost forget I’m carrying it.
My 2cents I’d lean commander.

I bought a Gov’t, but I carry a lightweight round-bob’d commander of a different make/model

Difference seems to be about 3oz and of course the longer barrel. I feel a bit less recoil with Vigil but not a great difference.

^How are you liking the S&W? Do you have many rounds through it?^
The bobtail scandium E series is on my current short list.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
^How are you liking the S&W? Do you have many rounds through it?^
The bobtail scandium E series is on my current short list.
It was a safe queen until I sent it to ACW for some customizations in 2017. Has been my primary carry ever since. Bigger things that bugged me were sights and that MSH was checkered all the way down so it caught the shirt, but I also took the opportunity to de-MIM and Rob put a few finishing touches on it that did not hurt at all.

Would it have been smarter (and cheaper) to get a DW Guardian to begin with? Definitely maybe , but I would NOT trade it for one now. I actually have a Guardian in 38S that just sits in the safe, it too could use a couple of touches to get it to my liking.

Shoot me a PM if you need more info.

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just bought the Vigil Government 45 for $1,027.98. That's seems like a good deal. I have never owned a LW Government model. Only 2.3 oz heavier than the Vigil Commander. I look forward to shooting and carrying it. I'm also gonna pick me up a Colt Night Cobra. They can be had for a little over $500. Thanks to all that replied. I will post pics when she's in my hands.

Take holster suggestions. Right now she will be in a stealthgear holster. Only Government holster I have left and works well in the South Texas humidity. Suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Just bought the Vigil Government 45 for $1,027.98. That's seems like a good deal. I have never owned a LW Government model. Only 2.3 oz heavier than the Vigil Commander. I look forward to shooting and carrying it. I'm also gonna pick me up a Colt Night Cobra. They can be had for a little over $500. Thanks to all that replied. I will post pics when she's in my hands.

Take holster suggestions. Right now she will be in a stealthgear holster. Only Government holster I have left and works well in the South Texas humidity. Suggestions welcome.
Congrats, remember pics etc.

My usual go to holster is a Milt Sparks SS2, for IWB,

·
born in the wrong century
8,959 Posts
I had a Wiley Clapp Government....I know it wasn't one of your considerations....but I think the thumb safety is very similar to the one on the Wiley Clapp commander you mentioned.

I hated that safety and had plans on replacing it if I'd kept the gun. Accuracy wasn't acceptable from a gun of that cost in my case. Being a nicely packaged S70 it moved on easily to another buyer.

The controls on your new Vigil will hopefully please you as they do me. Nothing objectionable....nothing that leaves an owner wanting to change. Heck, the DW Shadow grips are super, too.

I think you did well.

Here lately I've grown more fond of steel framed commanders & CCO for carry....but that's just me.

I can easily see why folks love the Guardians & Vigils.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Sparks Summer Special, Criterion or VMII, one of the other or all three will make you happy. As would a good, used Rosen ARG or Uncle Sals Decision or my latest loaner from another addict- the Garrett Silent Thunder which I've worn every time out the door for one week now. I like it - which is saying a lot because I have a pot full of holsters I paid good $$ for and do not like. Or use.

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,547 Posts
For an EDC, a DW Guardian in 38 Superb been my first choice,
then a Valkyrie Commander, and if neither were available then the Vigil Commander.
Brown Black Tan Hardwood Everyday carry

·
Get off my lawn...
17,424 Posts
For an EDC, a DW Guardian would be my first choice, then a Valkyrie Commander, and if
neither were available then the Vigil Commander.
It’s hard to beat a Guardian in 38 Super. I pack my Guardian as frequently as my Vigil, but there’s just something reassuring about a full size LW 1911 with Big, Fat, Slow Bullets!

·
Registered
937 Posts
I think the Vigil is a great value. The Vigil CCO with a magwell is smaller than a Commander but still has the Commander slide. I am still in the process of setting mine up but I think it will carry well. I want to try an 8 rd with a welded base to minimize the chance of printing even further. Results TBD. Good luck with yours!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.