Dan Wesson Dan Wesson Vigil

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Tony13, Dec 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Tony13

Tony13 Member

Dec 7, 2018
    Vigil owners what’s your thoughts? I have a PM9 that I love and shoot for steel matches. Want to get another 1911 and like what I see in the Vigil. Plus are it’s a DW, 9mm, size and weight, duty finish and price point. Would be a mostly a range fun gun, possible shoot matches with it just to shake things up.
    Thx,
    Tony

WhoIsJohnGalt? likes this.
  2. Sneaky One

Sneaky One Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    I would get a steel gun for the range personally. Vigil is a great carry gun. Just my .02

3. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Have the Vigil Commander and 5” gun.
    I’ve shot a couple matches with them, but they are primarily “carry” guns.
    After very minor tweaking (trigger job, thumb safety improvement, radius/polish extractor hook/increase extractor tension and FBFPS) they have been flawless.
    Both guns ran fine before improvements, but weren’t to my liking.

WhoIsJohnGalt? and Sneaky One like this.
  4. Tony13

Tony13 Member

Dec 7, 2018
    Well I’m trying not to break the bank on this one so I’d like to keep it around $1k or lower. I’ve looked at the Springfield RO, Colt competition. I love my PM9 so I keep coming back to DW. Any other suggestions?

5. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Just personal experience; both the SA RO and Colt Comp. required a lot more “tweaking” (parts replacement, final fitting) than the DW’s I’ve had in hand.

I personally wouldn’t use an alloy frame pistol for a range gun. I’d be concerned I’d beat it to death in short order.

Not trying to discourage you, but usually there’s no free lunch.

PewPewPtwang and william adams like this.
  6. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Get an A2 they have a carbon steel frame, they are in my experience a bit tighter fit than other of their factory guns, price point is right, sights kinda stink, but easy fix.. I'd put in a gunsmith fit bushing and Os fps and you should see as good if not better results then out of your pm9 and my experiences with that gun is it's just about as flawless a shooter as one could ask for.

1L26 and PewPewPtwang like this.
  7. Tony13

Tony13 Member

Dec 7, 2018
    Love the look of the A2 Steve. Only comes in .45 as far as I see. Am I wrong?

Steve Owens likes this.
  8. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Far as I know, yes only 45 for the A2

9. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Yeah sorry didn't even think about that.. They are super nice though... I have the full and the commander. Commander is undergoing customizing and has been sitting idle for a bit, while I work on others guns, but eventually I will get back to that one..

10. DMiller

DMiller Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2012
    As you have both, what would be your choice if you could pick only one for carry? I’ve pretty much decided on the Vigil as my new EDC, but I’m still on the fence as to full size or commander. Leaning towards the commander....

For today.

Lol

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  11. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    I'm hoping to make my next 1911 purchase a DW. :)

12. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Commander, no question- for full time carry gun.

Hardball likes this.
  13. Trashy

Trashy Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2018
    OP, I have the Vigil and also a 5" Valor in 9mm, I've had no problems from either. The Vigil is a very nice gun, it just doesn't have a few of the upgrades as some other DW's. IMO. you won't go wrong with one.

Tony13 likes this.
  14. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Full size, no question. ;)

15. DMiller

DMiller Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Funny guys. Lol

PewPewPtwang likes this.
  16. johnb62

johnb62 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2012
    My LGS has several Vigil variations in stock. Plan on making a full size 45 mine soon.

17. Tony13

Tony13 Member

Dec 7, 2018
    Ok now you guys have me thinking now about getting a 45. The A2 definitely appeals to me, but I’m thinking iconic 45 is the Colt. Also my buddy has an E series Smith and Wesson, I plan on shooting it next range day. Not sure how I feel about the external extractor yet but looks like a winner. Thoughts?

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted