1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
5,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As drivers seem to be getting worse (or I’m just getting more grumpy) I kick around having a dash cam in case I get into a wreck.
Anyone use one and if so have a suggestion for brand?

Reactions: Joe C

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
5,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Max Otto von Stierlitz
2,363 Posts
I use one. VicoVation OPIA2 with Amazon UV and polarizing filters (live in Texas). Decided on one that could handle rapid sun to shade changes and retain good resolution to capture license plate numbers. Been satisfied with its performance.

·
Max Otto von Stierlitz
2,363 Posts
I’ll offer a couple other comments for what it’s worth. My camera doesn’t have GPS - it has that option available as I recall but saw no real reason to pay extra for it (have my Smart Phone and Waze Ap). Also toyed with getting a cheap rearward facing camera (but so far, haven’t). Might be helpful if you ever get rear-ended. And last; security becomes an issue. Raised concerns about “smash & grabs” - I don’t want to leave the camera out on ‘public display’ - I tend to use the suction cup mounting so the camera can be removed when the vehicle is left unattended for any length of time.

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
5,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ll offer a couple other comments for what it’s worth. My camera doesn’t have GPS - it has that option available as I recall but saw no real reason to pay extra for it (have my Smart Phone and Waze Ap). Also toyed with getting a cheap rearward facing camera (but so far, haven’t). Might be helpful if you ever get rear-ended. And last; security becomes an issue. Raised concerns about “smash & grabs” - I don’t want to leave the camera out on ‘public display’ - I tend to use the suction cup mounting so the camera can be removed when the vehicle is left unattended for any length of time.
The 'invite a thief' part is what's kept me from getting one yet. Harkening back to the old days when everyone had a Garmin and the suction ring left on the window was just a flashing neon sign telling thieves that somewhere in the car is an item ready to be stolen.

·
Max Otto von Stierlitz
2,363 Posts
The 'invite a thief' part is what's kept me from getting one yet. Harkening back to the old days when everyone had a Garmin and the suction ring left on the window was just a flashing neon sign telling thieves that somewhere in the car is an item ready to be stolen.
Funny; yep, had one of those too! If I’m going into a grocery store or the post office or some such high ‘foot traffic’ type place, where I know I won’t be that long, I’ll just leave it up. But going to the movies (does anyone do that anymore?) or some place where the truck will be left unattended for a couple of hours, I’ll take it down. The suction cup mount is taken down so there’s no sign of a dash cam left visible.

·
Codename Duchess
3,775 Posts
Sorry I'm a bit late to the party... I'm a huge believe in dash cams and run two Vantrue N2 Pro's. It's overkill really but I have one front recording, one rear, and two interior views that capture everything going on inside the car and see out the side windows a decent amount. I have nearly full 360 coverage and have even caught license plate number on vehicles through my side windows. Plus if I ever get a BS ticket for being on my phone or something I can prove I wasn't.

Here's my latest big catch-

At the beginning of the video when the guy serves in front of me I get his plate clearly. It's hard to see on a small screen but on a TV it's clear as day. At the time I didn't realize this though. After he hit the other guy I was expecting the victim to chase the guy down and I would call the PD later to provide the footage. I had no idea he would just pull over. I hesitated as I was driving a group of people and was the lead car in a convoy and the moment was passed.

After getting home for the night I pulled the video and punched in the GPS coordinates into Google Maps to figure out what city I was in (turned out to be Carrollton) and called up the PD to arrange delivery. I was pretty happy I caught the POS's plate, I hate drunk divers and hit-n-runs, and he checked both boxes.

After unsuccessfully trying to send the video to the PD I decided to just bring them a thumb drive. On my way there the following day this happened-

It can be a little tough to see but the truck in front of me had a car in front of him. The left turn lane got a green and he saw that lane moving so he hit the gas. Only our light was still red and the car in front wasn't moving.

I have my front camera set record by motion activation when my car is parked. After having it installed for a couple days I went to check the video files and see if it was indeed recording. I found this nugget-

If you watch the full video after trying my doors they go down the line of cars trying everyone's.

·
Codename Duchess
3,775 Posts
Here's a smattering of other things I've caught.

No idea what these crazy chicks problem was but apparently spitting on my car made them feel better. South Dallas...

In this next video the offender's insurance denied the victims claim saying he ran the light instead of their girl talking on her phone. Until I provided them the video that is. This is from my first dash cam, a cheap version that only recorded in 720p.

Dodging this a-hole threw my dog from the back seat of the car into the front and knocked my car from Drive into Park. Not a fun situation to find yourself in doing 70 down the freeway. My dog got a harness and buckled in afterwards.

There are others but those are just near misses where I managed to duck 'em.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts