Dave Lauck from D&L Sports, why no love?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by CD0311, Jan 11, 2012.

1. CD0311

CD0311 New Member

Jan 8, 2012
    A few years ago Dave Lauck from www.dlsports.com customized my Springfield 1911, the thing was amazing!
    I have been seeing topics like "my last 1911" "which 1911" and so on but it seems like I'm the only one that has had or knows about them.

Is there anyone else?

(Also asked ok Glock Talk)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  2. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Never heard of him, but he just got presented the 2012 pistolsmith of the year and his work looks very good from what I can tell.

The real question is, why is he not mentioned more often? I would argue that word-of-mouth is immensely powerful in the 1911 community. You can usually tell a good smith from their work, wait list, prices, and from the amount of support from the community. Since he's not "known," why go with him vs. someone that IS well known? Just something to think about.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012

3. deadguy

deadguy Eddie Van Halen Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    the FCS located in the middle of the slide are interesting. Can't say I have seen that before.

4. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Don't hear to much about Gemini Customs either but got the same award in 2009. Last year I called Gemini and he told me he was booked solid for at least 2 more yrs. and wasn't taking any work at all. Could be the same thing???

5. asiparks

asiparks Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  6. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    D&L is highly thought of amongst the individuals who Mr Lauck has dome work for.

There's a lot of custom 'smiths out there whose work is world class but doesn't get the press it deserves.

We got a few classy smiths around here that could use a LOT more press than they get from the gun rag media. :rolleyes2:

DAT85

7. CD0311

CD0311 New Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Correction no me. I forgot about that forum :) I'll have to catch up. Thanks.I did ask about DL on that forum but didn't get much back

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  8. asiparks

asiparks Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    I wondered because of the name, but also because you had a "*" after "amazing", thought it might have been sarcasm.....

9. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    I've heard good things about his work, specifically the "Professional" model. His builds are Series 80, by the way, if that's a matter of concern.

Andy

10. SOA1911

SOA1911 New Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Dave Lauck builds some of the finest custom 1911s on earth. I know--I have one of his Professional Models. I own several high-end semi-custom 1911 (Les Baer, Ed Brown, Dan Wesson, etc.), and while they are very, very fine examples, none of them come close to the build quality--especially the attention to detail--of one of Dave Lauck's 1911. The metal work and the fit and finish are exceptional indeed. And, his 1911's are built for use in extreme environments. I would suggest taking a look at the D&L Sports website and read up on his work.

11. CD0311

CD0311 New Member

Jan 8, 2012
    No it was a typo

12. BHP9

BHP9 Active Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I think you have to go back to the '90's when Dave was spoken about a lot.

He's been around a long time and is/was very well respected.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted