1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an issue keeping my left (support) hand on the grip when I previously shot my STI Hex-Tac with the standard grip. As opposed to sending the grip out for stippling, Dawson recommended trying their grip tape.

I tried some and couldn't get it to stick during repeated draws from the holster. Someone recommended sanding down the left side of the grip (where I applied the tape) and then heating the tape once applied to the smooth side.

I did this, but haven't had a chance to try this under live fire.

For anyone that's used the Dawson (or other ) grip tape - did you use an additional adhesive underneath the surface? If so, which adhesive did you utilize? If you sanded the grip prior to utilizing the grip tape, did the tape adhere without additional adhesive?

Thanks

Mike

·
NRA Endowment member
3,145 Posts
Soap and warm water clean first. Then wipe off with denatured alcohol prior to application.
Wear gloves as to not get any oils on the surface.

Reactions: Uncle Bob

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Do above and use a hair dryer while installing
enough heat to make everything adhere better, but not soften the grip LOL

Reactions: 1911 dawg

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
I bought a sheet of skateboard tape off Amazon a while back for about $8. It came in a sheet 8" wide by about 16" long. I use a paper cutter to cut it into 1/2" wide strips and use it on my 1911's, my laptop computer for additional grip in getting it out of the case, and anything I need a bit more grip purchase on.

The adhesive on that stuff is very good without leaving goop behind. It only sticks about 3 years before it gets loose and I need to apply a new strip however.

Z

Reactions: pm07 and Mike0707

·
resident crank
1,979 Posts
I’ve used Dawson’s grip tape (the rough skateboard tape) on the front straps of a Springfield and a Colt. Both front straps were bead blasted from the factory. I cleaned both straps with plain rubbing alcohol then applied the grip tape. I was extremely pleased with the product and have run both guns in matches. Later I made modifications to both guns and removed the tape. It did not come off easily, and I then had to rub off the remaining adhesive. Sometime later I gave my son the Colt sans tape (his preference) and decided to reapply a fresh piece of the Dawson tape to the Springer and still use it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts