1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only been into 1911's a year now and have a few magazine questions.

My questions are about magazines in general but especially for 9mm & 38super if there is a difference.

1. Are Dawson Precision mags as good as WC mags or other brands for that matter? How
would you rate them compared to others?

2. Are they really reliable magazines?

3. What would be your preferred magazine for 9mm or 38super? Would it be the same for
10mm?

I want to buy 2 dozen new magazines and just be done with the magazine issue for my shooters. Thanks for sharing any opinions or comments about magazines.

BTW, I don't need or want any more 45 mags, I have plenty.

BCD 45

·
MP Custom
418 Posts
Yes Dawson mags are good quality. I run them in my IPSC gun without any issues whatsoever. After 34 years experience building these guns I rarely find magazines to be the cause of feeding issues, most of the time it's the loads or the gun not being set up properly.

MP

·
Registered
611 Posts
Metalform makes them for Dave... no changes. You can still get some Zenith branded Metalforms from CDNN for $15 each.. deal of the day..
I use Metalform 10rd 9mm mags in all my 9mm 1911's. I have a dozen that say Dawson, until I found the Zenith mags. As with the Dawson branded, you need to check and make sure they drop free and activate the slide stop.. sometimes there require a little "tweak".. YMMV
https://www.cdnnsports.com/1911-10rd-9mm-zenith-magazine.html#.XlUmtGhKiUk

·
Registered
52 Posts
1&2 Yes. Run in all my 9mm 1911's (Dan Wesson and STI) same as Wilson Gen1 ETM's.
From my comparisons (Dan Wesson 10rd with pad) the Dawson mags appear to be Metalform bodies, I have the Dawson Aluminum base pads on them. Not sure if they have a DP spec. spring or not.

#3 I'm still trying to figure out 10mm mags myself. I bought 2 styles of Tripp, a CMC shooting star, and a few Metalforms that came with DW guns. I need to get a Wilson to try.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The Wilson ETM mags in 10MM have been absolutely perfect for my 2 STI 1911s.
I just ordered some tripp cobra mags for my sole STI 1911 in 9mm. I have used Wilson ETMs for the 9mm as well with no issues.

·
Premium Member
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the good information.

BCD 45

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I bought some of the very first Metalform 10x9mm. They were ok to start but got spotty with wear. I still have the tubes but with various followers and springs.
Haven't tried the Dawson version but see good reviews.

I like the CMC XP magazines but they were discontinued when Wilson bought Chip out.
The present Range Pro seems OK.
Present Wilson ETM second generation are good. I traded away my first gen, the new owner says they are ok in HIS gun.
Tripps are good feeders but low cut front leads to stripping the top round when unloading or out of a tight pouch.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
I prefer wc for 9mm and 38 superb. they work fine in my guns.zero issues and they have sales a few times a year

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Wilson and Nighthawk mags work fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts